Historical Inspiration for Fantasy Settings

I demand pugs! :heart:

1 Like

Have you played fallen london? Sounds like that’d be something you’d enjoy.

I have a section set in ancient Egypt in Oedipus, I really enjoyed writing it. (Most of it is Greece though). I agree more Egypt would be good (I mean you could do an entire game based on what happens to Ra in his off time (maybe as one of the guardians) as long as you don’t mind writing about snakes for days. Large snakes, small snakes, water snakes, fire breathing snakes, transport snakes, guardian snakes, world ending snakes. The ancient Egyptians liked their magical serpents :grin: ). I think the reason why we get less mytholgical Egypt is their belief system could be quite complicated and esoteric. It’s bad enough with the stuff that has gone missing in translation from more popular systems like ancient Greece.

BTW super surprised no one’s done anything journey to the west inspired.

2 Likes

I think I saw a WIP that was inspired by it, can’t remember the name though. Also, just saying, Wukong is really, really, REALLY overpowered, so that could be a bit of a problem depending on how the story unfolds.

2 Likes

How do you guys feel about a fantasy world based on the Viking Age (aka medieval Scandinavia)? I really like the idea, but I’m not totally sure how it differentiates from the rest of medieval Europe

1 Like

I feel like trying to do a setting based on anything that you don’t know well enough to feel comfortable with is a mistake.

2 Likes

Have you played fallen london? Sounds like that’d be something you’d enjoy.

I love Fallen London I miss playing it haha I wish the app wasn’t retired. It made it so easy to pass the time between my courses.

BTW super surprised no one’s done anything journey to the west inspired.

I fuckin love Journey to the West, more games need Journey to the West inspo beyond Sun Wukong.

Overall I want to see more Asian (West Asia, East Asia, SEA idc just any Asia) inspo in fantasy media. We have a robust tradition of supernatural beings in folklore throughout various time periods. It’s easy pickings! I’m just so bored to tears of the monopoly Medieval Europe has over fantasy settings.

6 Likes

Its very different, religion especially. The biggest practical concern is that medieval Scandinavia is resource scarce which enticed the raider/merchant culture most are aware of from the region. Central Europe and the British isles had more to take, and take they did. Same with the cities along the Volga.

2 Likes

I mean, Nordic Christianity is different from, say, Western or Southern European ones, but not that different. I suppose it depends on which part of Medieval times it’d be set on.

2 Likes

I think a society like theirs would put an emphasis on seafaring/exploration and trade. They had explorers like Erik the Red, and we even have evidence of trade between Vikings and the Arabs. And drawing from concepts found in Norse myths could help to make the story more unique.

All in all it would depend on how much you want to stick to actual historical Vikings or the pop culture version of axe-swinging, horned-helmet “barbarian” Vikings. The latter would be quite different to most people’s idea of medieval Europe.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone here isn’t aware, Choice of the Viking is coming out soon. There’s a lot of real history in it, although there are also strong fantasy elements.

The Teahouse game that’s supposed to come out next month isn’t based on *Journey to the West," but it does incorporate some of the same figures of myth/legend.

2 Likes

then there is ACValhalla…cough and throw anvil at random :sweat_smile:

And in 2060, I shall release my own Viking story! Called ‘The Road to Valhalla’, it has a lot of Malaka swearing, and Elves and Magic!

Stay tuned… :rofl:

1 Like

My upcoming WIP is a mixture of classic medieval European fantasy with historical and contemporary Filipino culture and myths, with an added dash of other Asian cultures.

5 Likes

That sounds absolutely delightful.

3 Likes

I am not picky, I would just more broadly like more influences outside of specifically Western European inspired Medieval/Renaissance Historical Fantasy, literally anything, be that South American Aztecs, Ancient India, 18 Kingdoms China, Hellenistic Greece, Slavic tribes during the Migration Period… There is seemingly infinite options, so why do we tend to make the same thing time and again? So much room for more variety outside of the typical stuff.

I even think that having a heavily Celtic inspired story would be more interesting than the normal generic Medieval fantasy. Attaching a meaning to what magic is (signing a concord with spirits to allow the use of magic, rather than it being a vague natural force mages can just use). There is so much you can do.

If you wanted to do specifically another English/French/Spanish inspired setting I would implore you to think of how to distinguish it from all the other ones. Think of a few key things you want to develop to make it feel different, though I would encourage anyone who feels comfortable to consider learning about a few cool periods of time outside of it. There is so much you can do!

Anyway, all of this thought was in large part why I ended up setting Shēngzhǎng to be inspired by Tang dynasty China in the first place, though another part was just my love for the era. Someone mentioned the silk road, I just realized I probably should include a variation of it within my fantasy setting since it would make sense geographically–.l

5 Likes

I maaaay have started reworking my fantasy story more Nordic-based (and I swore I’d let that story die… eurgh) but apart from names, I’m still not seeing much difference, and you all are making me wonder what I’m doing wrong.

(Also contemplating putting it on some fantasy equivalent of 17th century instead of medieval, but that’s another question completely.)

4 Likes

Both the Napoleonic era and the late Roman era draw to me as great inspiration sources. In both cases I plan to use a fictionalised Netherlands as the setting. In the late Roman era the Netherlands was basically a crossing point for Celtic tribes, Germanic tribes and the Roman Empire itself. So a great area to explore different civilisations and their relationships with eachother. In the Napoleonic era the Netherlands was for a short time the Batavian Republic. Between the semi-Monarchial Stadholder era and the puppet Kingdom of Holland. The short lived republic was in some constitutional ways actually considered an example for improvements in the French republic, and I would like to explore that Batavian Republic as it develops beyond its historcal short lifespan.

5 Likes

17th Century England, The Napoleonic Era, Victorian England, The American Revolution, The American Civil War.

1 Like

Honestly, any civilization in any time period is suitable to adapt to a fantasy setting. You just need to know what to include and what not to include. One must convey a sense of familiarity and realism and at the same time, have something novel to add to the table.

4 Likes

Most defiantly around the 1 century AD focusing on the British Celtic tribes maybe. I had an Idea for my first story being about a warrior queen based off Boudicca. My understanding of choice script isn’t so good so I scrapped the idea. But if I had to pick a period, that’s the time I would choose.

6 Likes