Hiding Stats: Making two separate stat screens for two different main characters (RESOLVED)

So at the beginning of my story I have two paths the reader can take: on one path you can be a woman Healer in the far southern reaches of the Kingdom plagued by soldiers of the King and on the other path you can choose to be a man known as a thief who consorts with pirates in a northerly port town. Both of these characters will lead the reader on their own unique adventures but eventually their journeys will cross and coincide. But until that point I need to create two separate stat screens for each character. I can’t figure out how to set it up in the beginning of the story without giving them both the same stat screen…I’ve tried various *if statements but still can’t get it to work. And I’ve looked through some of the forums and can’t find a similar situation.

Any light shed on this would be incredibly helpful. Thanks!

1 Like

I think the best option is to just use the same stat screen and have *if statements at the top so it only displays the current character.

Otherwise you will have issues returning from the stats screen. (I’m not sure if those have been fixed or not.)

I think there’s a bit of discussion on the following topics about using gosub scene in the stats screen.

2 Likes

If you only want one character active, use the *if command like feather is describing. If you want a separate screen for each character I use a *choice command as what I find to be the most simple option for myself anyway.

So at the top of your stats screen have
*label stats (This gives you the command to return to main screen without getting an eternal loop happening).

Below this have what ever info/general stats you want then have then add a choice to move to another screen.

*choice
#Character A's screen
*goto characterA

#Character B's screen 
*goto characterB

*label characterA
Blah blah
*choice
#return to main page
*goto stats

#go to character B's info
*goto characterB

*label characterB 
(etc)

(Sorry can’t get the proper spacing to work but hope that gives you an idea of what I’m on about).

2 Likes

*create charnum 0

At the part where you choose whether to be the healer or thief- if you choose the healer, *set charnum 1, if you choose the thief *set charnum 2.

At the beginning of the stats screen,
*if charnum = 0
Some statement about not knowing which character is chosen by fate or whatnot.
*label healer
*if charnum = 1
Then under this you display all of your stats for the healer. At the end of this section, *goto endstats
*label thief
*if charnum = 2
Under this you display all of your stats for the thief. At the end of this section, *goto endstats
*if charnum = 3
Under this, you display the stats for -both- characters for when they meet up and join. Then, at the end, *goto endstats
*label endstats
*finish

And in the main story, when the characters meet up, *set charnum 3

5 Likes

The *charnum commands worked! Thank you! You have no idea how frustrating that was to me haha I was trying everything! And then your way worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

1 Like

salutes There was a project I worked on once that needed to change the stat screen around. It was incredibly frustrating, and I went through a lot of trial and error figuring out how to make it do what I wanted it to. I’m glad to be able to help someone else through a chunk of the frustration.

4 Likes

Many thanks :slight_smile: It feels good to have that in order.

Oh and thanks to everyone else who posted their help! I tried doing it the other ways but I’m still not fully tech savvy.

This whole community of writers and players is really quite wonderful, I’m positively beaming right now haha and over such a simple matter.

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay so now I want to have access to a third character that acts as a sort of animal companion to the Healer. And the reader has to choose the right path in order to get the animal companion. But I want to make it so the animal companion has its own separate stats from the Healer. @Jacic explained a bit earlier about switching between stat choices but I didn’t fully understand it…

So, the story goes that Merti has a choice to either kill a magpie trapped in one of her nets or save him. If she kills him then he is not apart of the story. But if she saves him then he becomes her companion. So I’m trying to figure out how to set it up so that when she chooses Mig they each have their own separate stats in the stat screen.

This is what I have so far. I realize the coding is wrong for charnum 3 and 4 but I just don’t know how to set it up right with switching between choices in the stat screen

*label stats
*if charnum = 0
Choose Your Fate

*label Healer
*if charnum = 1
*stat_chart
opposed_pair Merciful
Vengeful
opposed_pair Integrity
Subterfuge
opposed_pair Helpful
Lone Wolf
percent Will
*goto endstats

*label thief
*if charnum = 2
*stat_chart
percent Stealth
percent strength Silver Tongue
percent Comradery
*goto endstats

*label Mig
*if charnum = 3
*stat_chart
percent Health
percent Loyalty
*goto endstats

*label animal
*if charnum = 4
*choice
#Merti
*goto Healer

#Mig 
      *goto Mig

*label together
*if charnum = 4
*choice
#Merti
*goto Healer

#Rigel 
       *goto thief

*label endstats
*finish

Oh and the same goes for when the Healer and the thief meet up later on in the story…I want separate stat screens. So I would also have to set up two different stat paths, one where Mig is apart of the story and one where Mig isn’t, which would also be a bit complicated in coding it correctly. So by the middle of the story I would either have a stat screen with three separate character stats or a stat screen with only two separate character stats.

By the way, having it set up this way allows me to see the choices but when I click on the choice it doesn’t take me anywhere, it keeps me on the stats page with the two choices listed.

Can use an *if command if using a *choice to switch between screens “in the party” or what ever other provisor you want.
ie

*choice
   *if (magpiestat = "inparty") #Go to the magpie's stat screen.
      *goto magpie

*if (thiefstat = "inparty") #Go to the thief's stat screen.
      *goto theif

and so on.

So for example if you save the magpie then set the magpiestat as “inparty” in order to make that screen visible. Not sure if that makes sense?

1 Like

I’ll try that, thanks :slight_smile:

Do I put that under a charnum? or is it its own separate thing?

If I understand right what Shawn_Patrick_Reed and I are suggesting are two different ways of coming at the same problem (He can correct me if I’m wrong :slight_smile: )

What I think his method will allow you to do is turn the stat screen from one person to another depending on who is the focus of the story. (ie if charnum = 2, you should have the thief’s details on the stat screen visible but the others will be invisible).

What I’m suggesting is each character has its own screen from the start via a choice at the bottom of the screen. Since some of the characters may or may not be present in the story depending on what you do, you can blank them out by setting an *if variable that needs to be activated. (Much like your charnum one but I’m giving each character a separate variable (ie magpiestat and thiefstat).

Okay I’m trying it out now

crossing my fingers

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

No probs, it should look something like this (just so you can see if this is what you’re going for)

So this is how I’ve coded it now, and so far the stats screen shows three separate characters like you showed, but I don’t know how to make it so that I can have two different charnums be accessible at the same time…So, I set Merti’s scene with charnum 1, but then within that scene she finds Mig meaning I now have to set charnum 3. but when I do that, it makes it so that all three stats have the same as Mig’s stat.

*label stats

*choice
#Merti
*goto Merti
#Rigel
*goto Rigel
#Mig
*goto Mig

*label Merti
*if charnum = 1
*stat_chart
opposed_pair Merciful
Vengeful
opposed_pair Integrity
Subterfuge
opposed_pair Helpful
Lone Wolf
percent Will
*goto endstats

*label Rigel
*if charnum = 2
*stat_chart
percent Stealth
percent strength Silver Tongue
percent Comradery
*goto endstats

*label Mig
*if charnum = 3
*stat_chart
percent Health
percent Loyalty
*goto endstats

*label endstats
*finish

Okay I figured it out using text name and page break to separate the charnums :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for all the help!

*label stats
*if charnum = 0
Choose Your Fate

*label Healer
*if charnum = 1
*stat_chart
opposed_pair Merciful
Vengeful
opposed_pair Integrity
Subterfuge
opposed_pair Helpful