Guenevere (WIP)

Wait, adultery is illegal for the monarch too? I thought it only applied to royal consorts.

It probably isn’t. I did say elements of the short story weren’t canonical :wink:

And even if it wasn’t illegal, I would still love an option where my Guen might throw Arthur in the dungeon in a fit of pique.

In an alternate universe with Queen Guenevere who pulled the sword from the stone and king consort Arthur from Cornwall. :slight_smile:

I’m actually pretty sure it is, considering how important the bloodlines are in the guenverse, so the monarch going around and producing a bunch of illegitimate children with Pendragon powers is probably as unwanted and treacherous for the stability of the kingdom as the Queen giving birth to a heir who lacks said bloodline properties.

So how would the monarch be punished? Replacement?

Damn, things are gonna be very tense afterwards. I’m glad Guen will be able to help them both make amends.

Oh the scandal! You can just see all the little headcannon lightbulbs coming to life.

@jeantown

YOU ARE BACK YOU ARE BACK.

*Hug Gag follows"
:slight_smile:

Also, how would Guen eventually become a monarch if she doesn’t have any of the royal bloodline powers?

If the people are infatuated with bloodlines, I could see them choosing someone else from another bloodline.

Make her opponents look weak and ineffectual; make herself look strong and dependable. Cultivate a circle of allies who would stand to gain by Guen’s ascendancy…but ensuring that you don’t become to reliant on one person.

Show that just because someone has magical blood, that doesn’t automatically grant insight.

If you want, play the religious angle…ie…'The Goddess put me in this position of authority because she saw how far the bloodlines have strayed."

If the nobles are prone to infighting, subtly encourage that…and then publically stand forth as a peacemaker.

@Phoenix_Wolf Yep, as powerful as that song is, that will not be the case at all in this universe. :slight_smile:

Those of you who are interested in Mordred and his conception may want to check out my FAQ on tumblr.

Mordred will be conceived in book 3 and born between 3 and 4. We’ll see him as a child in 4.

Yes, absolutely (as @Sammysam says). Only 2-3 children in each generation inherit the royal magic powers, so there’s no way people want the monarch running around handing that out to just anyone. Theoretically the exception to the “adultery is treason” rule would be a male consort, since his having illegitimate children wouldn’t bring the bloodline into question… but at this point, royal adultery has become such a huge taboo in Guenverse culture that even a male consort would probably be held accountable.

That’s the thing… Technically execution and replacement, but the handful of times it’s happened have probably not been that clear-cut. After all, if you care that much about bloodlines, how do you replace a monarch at exactly the moment when the bloodlines are called into question? (Do you replace the monarch with the illegitimate child that the law is supposed to prevent? With a relative who doesn’t have the magic powers but might have a child who does?) It’s varied case by case, but it’s rarely logical or pretty.

Things will be tense, and Guen should be able to make a big difference. :slight_smile:

??? I don’t think I was ever gone? Sometimes the thread gets quiet, but I’m always around?

Oops, sorry I didn’t answer everything!

Well, Arthur is already trying to work toward a world where the bloodline powers don’t matter, though he’s somewhat hypocritical about it. How could Guen become monarch? A few ways… (I’m not promising any of these specifically, just hypothesizing.)

1. Convince people that it’s time to move on from bloodline powers.
  2. Gain her own bloodline powers somehow?
  3. Everyone from the three royal bloodlines is dead or unwilling/unable to rule, so Guen steps in because there’s literally no one else, and people prefer her to a destabilizing power vacuum.
  4. Guen designates someone who DOES have royal blood powers to succeed her. (Gawain? Guen’s child with Arthur?) This maybe makes her a little more of a regent-type figure, but it could still give her full monarch powers for the rest of her life.

@Lys’s thoughts are also good! :slight_smile:

It would be interesting to be able to frame this story as sort of a last hurrah for magic, I.e magic dies out due to the widespread political and military upheaval of the day. Sort of how like cultural and technological advancements were lost to time (Greek fire and Roman concrete come to mind) magic or at least the practice of specific arts begins to die out. That seems unlikely given the seemingly widespread use of it like the French have a significant ability it seems to use or know about magic. (Melingaunt) but definitely certain arts or spells could be lost, especially as users die out to battle or poor health and the apprentices that should replace them either aren’t alive to learn or won’t come for a variety of reasons.

I like the idea of gaining special powers and starting a new bloodline.

Sadly, my Guen would love to have parthenogenetic children

Let’s start a genetics programs! For science!

Hey Jean, I’m reading Guenevere for like the millionth time and I love it as always. I do have a suggestion, though. I’ve noticed that in a lot of cases, we’re kind of “told” rather than “shown” what is happening, and I think doing the latter would make it more engaging and flavorful. Here’s an example of what I mean by telling rather than showing:

"Arthur orders the circle of guards to step back, and both my father and Morgana come running to my side immediately. Father is angry, and wants to know who’s responsible so he can kill them. Morgana is concerned, and looks at my bloodstained sleeve sympathetically.

“Arthur calms everyone down and announces that all is well, and the wedding will proceed. His voice is full of confidence and reassurance as he speaks to the crowd.”

Eh, I think you only need to be shown things if it serves narrative or character purpose. Too many writers think we need to know every bit of minutiae.

Also considering how much writing there is and needs to be done- it’s what, past 500k now?- I don’t thinking expanding the writing even MORE is really a good idea. Maybe if it was a single narrative, or was going to be only three books, or wasn’t a choose your own story…arthuriana has too much stuff as it is.

Non-summaries are just more interesting and help build characters more. Of course the characters in this story are already great, but I’m speaking in a general sense. That isn’t saying we need to see every single detail, not even close.

I’d agree if the story was plot focused, but the game is character/relationship focused. In a more storyline focused story, taking the chance to write out scenes like that to build character would be necessary any chance you got, but when the whole story’s devoted to that, it is not as needed.