Guenevere (WIP)

It would certainly be awkward. Imagine if your best friend was dating your son…

7 Likes

Or your wife. On Arthur’s part. Or even Morgana’s, depending on if you wanted to be especially fucked up.

3 Likes

Family dinners would be awkward.

5 Likes

I’ll put up the link once the artist uploads this picture to her deviantart account…but here is one of a young Lancelot, and his two moms, Vathac and Vivien.

http://lindaroze.deviantart.com/art/Commission-Vathic-Varin-Lancelot-616418041

14 Likes

Growing up with a lady on each arm? No wonder he’s such a playboy… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

D’awwww baby Lancelot is so cute! :heart:

2 Likes

:flushed::blush: Thank you so much! I’ve been a big fan of Guenevere since Book 1, so I’m very glad to contribute what little I can. I’ll try to keep the page up-to-date!

3 Likes

Splendid description! These little insights into the story are like delicious candy. Thank you. :smile:

That’s a very interesting part of Arthur’s backstory… it’s rather bittersweet, actually. It’s nice to know more about Arthur’s foster-parents, and the kind of romantic relationship he was primarily exposed to as a child. I can really see the affect that kind of relationship has on Arthur’s own love life… but I won’t go into it (I’m unfortunately shy). :sweat_smile:

It’s very beautiful though. :heart: I was wondering, did Arthur’s mother learn different languages with all her traveling? If so, would she yell at, or seduce Ector in another language? I kind of wonder what languages Arthur might know. I could really see my Guen yelling at, or seducing him in Latin or Gaulish, to which any reaction from Arthur (confused, flustered, enticed, etc.) would be a delight to see. :blush:

I can relate to Margaret though… I wouldn’t mind running off to Sicily sometimes myself. :laughing:

As for Mordred… it all kind of sounds like a Greek tragedy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ahh, so many other thoughts, but I don’t want to write too much.

2 Likes

I hope it will be able to go either way, and you can try both – kindred spirits or too-similar rivals. Mordred does prefer a more extroverted and powerful Guen, since she can hep him win more people over to his side. They could be a deadly team that way, or, as you say, Guen could be the true anti-Mordred while Arthur is more on the sideline.

I have been guilty of this more than once.

She won’t approve, but it won’t necessarily end her friendship with Guen. If Morgana ends up on Mordred’s side, and Guen is romancing him, Morgana will tolerate it for both their sakes, unless Guen dumped Morgana for Mordred, in which case :boom:

@Lys I love it; thanks for sharing it! :grin:

Yep, Margaret is familiar with lots of languages. But Ector doesn’t know any beyond the basic Latin and Gaulish that most British nobles are made to learn as children. As for Arthur, his Latin and Gaulish are better, thanks to Merlin. He can sort of read Frankish but not speak it. He also knows some Danish (the language of the Vikings), though he doesn’t speak it very well. Ector hired a Viking exile named Thorulf to help train Kay when he was a boy. Kay adored Thorulf (hence Kay’s brutal fighting style) and learned Danish at that age when kids soak up languages with no effort, so Kay is totally fluent in Danish. Arthur learned enough that he can sort of get by, but his grammar and word order are terrible, a fact which Kay reminds him of any time he tries to speak it. (These things are mentioned in the Arthur prequel.)

8 Likes

The prequels sound like captivating and engaging reads. :heart_eyes: Learning more about Lance, Morgana, and Arthur will be a lot of fun. :smile: I’m looking forward to reading them!

3 Likes

This is one of my favorite Works-In-Progress. I think there is already more content and more enjoyment to be found in it than some games that call themselves complete.

If I recall correctly, the author had asked us readers to mention places where we would prefer an additional option because we felt none of the available options were appropriate. My Guen would prefer a different response when Arthur and Lancelot sneak out on the wedding night. The only available angry option verbally references the “Wedding” which is something my Guen would rather die than say. She is forced to give the polite refusal to accompany them because she would never under any circumstances dignify that day’s travesty by calling it her wedding. She does not want a divorce for that would be acknowledging the day’s validity in the first place. She wants an annulment and is perfectly willing to tell Arthur this to his face. (After all, what can anyone do to her then? She has by then become a queen and undoing the “marriage” to punish Guen would leave her ecstatic with joy.)

While she would risk her life to protect the innocent, she has every intention of punishing the guilty to the full extent of what she considers justice. In her opinion, her so-called father does not merit mercy for being her father because as her father, his crime is far worse than if committed by a stranger. She feels a true father should have cared about her and protected her from such a fate. In her view, even prostitutes are not expected to bear the children of those on the other end of the transaction and for her to be treated this way is unforgivable. She intends to bring every single person responsible for forcing her into that day to justice by having them stripped of lands, titles, honors, wealth, and then having their heads mounted on pikes. She reluctantly would spare the lives of those her friends such as Morgana prefer to see spared.

I’m not sure if it was already mentioned, but I am curious about the sides at the final battle. I doubt my Guen could ever side with Mordred, but does that mean she is stuck siding with Arthur? (I tried once playing through with Guen and Arthur together because I wanted my Guen to be happy but Arthur annoys me too much and I just can’t do it.) She would prefer to take over the realm herself rather than leave it in Arthur’s well-intentioned but criminally incompetent hands.

After Guen escapes the kidnapping at the end of the current version of the game, I would like an option (even an early game-ending option) to make a run for it and not return to Camelot or anyone else. If my Guen is not involved with anyone, then she would rather risk escape even into poverty than return to the gilded cage that is Camelot in her view.

Also on the subject of the wedding night, once Arthur and Lance sneak off and Morgana arrives, my Guen would prefer to head back to the dungeon with Morgana to try to force some answers out of the assassin.

Then there is the wedding itself. My Guen would be perfectly willing to not just say “no”, but to shout “NEVER” at the vows stage. They may manage to force her into this, but avoiding hearing her objections would require gagging her. There is a book whose name I currently forget where two warring desert tribes are forced by their god to ally and this involves the marriage of one chief’s son to the other chief’s daughter. The daughter had to be gagged to prevent her response being heard and silencing my Guen would require something similar. There would be no excuse enabling Arthur to claim he didn’t realize Guen was unwilling.

6 Likes

“Morgana I’m in love with someone else…”
“Lancelot? Really? After all these years?!!?”
“Actually it’s your son.”
“Gawain??? That doesn’t make any sense.”
“Not that one.”
“Gareth? What is wrong with you??”

7 Likes

Can I stress about how much Mary and Francis from Reign are actually my Guenthur (the faithful all loving Guen, of course). They are so cute it’s annoying.

THEY ARE PUPPIES

9 Likes

Just finished book 1 and i absolutely loved it. I know this isnt (yet!) an official CoG title but out of all their games ive tried this is my favorite hands down. I so appreciate the focus on characters, also love the wide range of responses & personalities Guen can express and the story potential for where these can lead!

I do have a couple suggestions for the storyline i thought you might want to hear.

i had Guen kiss Lance in the tent and afterwards when talking to Morgana i told her about the reaction between Lance and Guen when they touch. Morgana then asks if Guen likes him (iirc) and the 3 responses are basically 2 maybe’s and a no, but what i’d like to see is maybe an option to admit that you do like him or to admit that you kissed.

Another thing I noticed was that I decided to spare Hrothulf and later when Lance offers to kill him, i still said no and his response was to shrug. Maybe there’s internal reasoning for this reaction but imo i think it would make for a more dramatic story if he protested or tried to convince you, maybe until he’s interrupted by Arthur’s arrival. Bc another aspect of the story that I enjoyed was the contrast between Arthur and Lancelot’s philosophies, and this would be an opportunity to dig into that a little more.

1 Like

Danish? Wouldn’t it make more sense to call the language Norse?

@svick I guess @Studwick has bribed @jeantown out of patriotic fevor. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

1 Like

KAY LEARNING VIKING STYLE FIGHTING IS SO COOL. And very fitting for him!

Speaking of Kay, that reminds me. Leo and Ector were friends, right? And Kay and Guen are both older than Arthur. I know Guen and Arthur never met before, but Kay being Ector’s son, have they ever met? Or heard things about the other?

1 Like

Hey, can you tell me what saving system do you use please; I want to use it with my work.

ive been thinking about this some more (cant seem to get it out of my head :joy: ) but i just wanted to say that i really appreciate that there arent any game overs (at least as far as i know lol!)! You have such a strong focus on building character and relationships and storytelling and not just branching action storylines for their own sake and i really hope that more authors consider going in this direction.

the scope of this project is just so huge its exciting to see! with all the possibilities of interaction and nuance you’re planning, i hope you dont overexhaust yourself!

2 Likes

@Norilinde Thank you; I’m glad you like it! :smile: Thanks also for telling me so much about your Guen and her motivations; that’s always helpful. Some of those tweaks – for a more extremely resistant Guen – would certainly be possible. Others would probably require so much plot-rewiring that I don’t think I’d be able to go that far – just as Guen can’t simply murder Arthur in part 1, because that would be a completely different story, there’s only so much resistance I can make work with the plot – I mean, realistically, she could just run away after escaping from Grimald, but that would also be a whole other story… but I will keep all of this in mind and at least see what kinds of dialogue/reaction tweaks might be able to show an even more angry Guen. Thanks again!

@bellamyb Aww! I have not seen Reign, but they look adorable. :smiley:

@LckyLrkr Thank you! :smile: Those are good suggestions. Guen can tell Morgana she kissed Lancelot right away, but not after asking about the reaction. It should be easy to add another option to tell about the kiss and liking him later. I’ll think about Lancelot’s feelings about killing Hrothulf, too… I think I was trying to show that he was putting Guen’s desires first, but it also makes a ton of sense that he’d try to insist, as he is not afraid to voice his opinions (and Guen loses trust points with him if she doesn’t kill Hrothulf).

:slight_smile: I love Old Norse/Icelandic… even got to read Njal’s saga in the original when I was in school, though I’ve forgotten most of it since then. But in the fictional Guenverse, Vikings come from “Daneland” and speak Danish. (To be fair, historically, many of the “Vikings” who attacked England were Danish or at least called Danish [hence the Danelaw], though of course the Norse did their share of vik-ing as well – but the Guenverse is fantasy anyway.) That’s not to say I might not change my mind at some point before I officially publish the prequels; I’ve been known to do such things. :smile:

Good question; I’ll have to figure that out. I have to juggle things so that Guen is relatively ignorant about Arthur in spite of Leodegrance and Ector’s friendship (e.g. she knew Arthur was young, but wasn’t expecting 17-young). Part of my “out” is that Leodegrance wasn’t thrilled when Ector’s foster-son turned out to be Uther’s biological son, so he spent a few years not talking to Ector much… but at that point (when Arthur was 13), Guen would have been 14 and Kay would have been ?17-ish, so I’ll have to keep all of that in mind.

Unfortunately, I think that particular save system doesn’t work in the latest version of ChoiceScript. :disappointed: I know someone came up with an alternative where you can save at any point but have only three saves at a time. I’ve deliberately avoided updating my version of ChoiceScript so that I can keep the “password” save system, which I find much more useful for playtesting. If you search the forum for “save system,” you’ll know more than I know. :slight_smile: Good luck figuring it out!

Haha, thank you! :smile: That’s deliberate; I’m trying to write a story where there aren’t really failures per se, just things that make the story different. Guen can fail to achieve certain goals, but the story goes on – and may be worth playing anyway, just to see what happens. I hope that will encourage lots of replays! It’s a lot of work, but I also hope other writers will try it.

8 Likes