Gender-locking ROs, gender flipping, and importance of gender in relationships

I wonder what people think about the idea I’m working with. I’m think of having ‘core’ and ‘secondary’ romances.

Core romances are what you normally think of from in game romances. They get an arch, a couple of scenes, and an ending tied in with the actual ending. They are also all some kind of bi/poly (one’s a bi guy, one’s an asexual polyromantic woman [so what she gets read as depends on if you romance here], the third is a woman that is questioning at the start of the story [but if it comes up, which IDK if it will at this point she’s questioning if she’s interested in men]). They are (obviously) not gender locked.

Secondary romances don’t have all that. They get only a minor scene, and assuming the romance works out, an ending. (There’s at least one gay guy, one bi/gay woman [these two characters are set to mirror each other and I don’t want them both gendered locked to men only], the rest are TBD).

The problem with this is I feel like I’m playing into the dead gays/villainous gays tropes (There’s three major possible villains of the story, two of them are the secondaries I already mentioned, while the third is an AI). The problem is that I kinda ended up making like my entire cast LGBT, (Of the main ‘group’ the PC deals with, there’s an ace, a bi guy who’s presents as gay, a trans woman, a gay guy, and a woman that TBD, but is at least interested in women. Oh, and one robot.)

2 Likes

As long as not all your gays are evil, you’re not generalising. Go 4 it, I say.

I’m thinking, but I can’t see why this would be a problem… :thinking:

12 Likes

Cetero. Cetero-romantic/ceterosexual. Nbs that only like nbs. This definition should only be used for nbs attracted to nbs and not used by binary genders, trans or cis. Comes from Greek “cetera”, meaning “other”.

Replaced the transphobic, binary-likes-nbs, assuming and problematic “skolio” which was created by binary people and comes from the Greek meaning “bent, broken, crooked”.

2 Likes

I’m sure the thought has crossed your own mind on perhaps more than one occasion too, eh @ParrotWatcher? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The problem is that there are no normal straight romances. I could not romance any of the “core group”, and isn’t that exactly what CoG wants to avoid?

But, couldn’t you? If someone is bi and you’re straight, you can still be in a relationship (all personality compatibility and love being accounted for, of course). Maybe I’m wrong/don’t understand. :expressionless:

5 Likes

I’ve met a few couples where one person was bi and the other was straight (I’m sure there’s loads out there). I’ve dated a few straight people myself and I’m pan and genderfluid.

2 Likes

If you’re a straight male you have no options at all in @RETowers story (assuming TBD is gay).

That is literally not at all what @RETowers said…

If you’re a straight male, there’s the second and third options, depending on how it works out. That is two thirds of the options, as I count them.

And, of the two secondary options mentioned, one of them is a bi/gay woman. If that falls to bi, that is another option.

That is a lot more than none, unless I have done my math wrong…

1 Like

If you’re a straight male, seems like there’s at least

1. Asexual polyromantic woman.
  2. Questioning woman
  3. Possible bi woman.

So I count three listed.

5 Likes

Isn’t that great!? It encourages straight men to play from different perspectives and alienates the “gaming norm”!

Oh yeah! But it doesn’t say what she’s questioning right? And that it may change?

I mean, nowadays bi just means attracted to two genders, it doesn’t just always mean attracted to male and female. One of my good friends likes nbs and women, and that’s it, so they’re bi.

So really the only confirmed option so far is the polyromantic asexual woman!

1 Like

It does say

Bi doesn’t mean attracted to two genders. I like this explanation

On the contrary, the binary implied in the word “bisexual” pertains to our ability to be attracted both to individuals who are the “same” as us and to those are “different” from us — meaning we have the capacity to be attracted to people all across the gender and sexuality spectra.

3 Likes

The idea of men being the opposite of women in gender “same” and “different” has been generally accepted as erasing of nb identities.

Bi in my LGBTQA+ circle means attracted to two genders, any two genders; this is a relatively new development in the LGBTQA+ community though, and took me a while to learn. More would count under polysexual, and all would be pan.

The core are the the asexual woman and the woman who don’t know if she likes men.
None of them are good options for a heterosexual guy.

3 Likes

Guess you’ll have to learn to romance without sex, then. Wank, then.

No, because I can’t learn it. Just like an Asexual person can’t do the opposite.

Oh, well, guess there isn’t a straight male sexual romance option after all. What a loss!

I mean, there’s tons of straight male romance games with sex on like, literally… anywhere. So no big deal! You can just go and find another game!

@RETowers Hey Reap, speaking of, you got any nbs in that game?

Yes, It’s no big deal, I can easily find another game. I wasn’t complaining about it, the writer can do whatever they want, I was talking to another user that they were wrong about their statement.

1 Like

No.

It didn’t say that though. It didn’t say men are the opposite of women. It just said that it’s attracted to my own gender, and other genders.

While I understand where you’re coming from, and I have heard people make those claims, I do not ascribe to them. It is frequently people who do not identify as bisexual trying to dictate what the bisexual label means and telling others they are using it wrong.

Bisexual being described as being just attracted to just two genders is used as a method of discriminating against bisexual people. It’s been used, in the past as a way of painting them as transphobic, and while I realise you’re not doing that, I still don’t agree with it.

While yes, some do use the term pansexual or polysexual instead, that does not mean bisexual is not still accurate.

6 Likes