rest well
what level of feedback will be required of you?
I’ll set up an exchange list. From there, you can indicate what feedback you want and what you can offer when making a feedback exchange arrangement with another author. I plan for this to be very laissez-faire, where everyone has a lot of individual choice in their negotiations.
I might set up a private group chat on the forums for the feedback exchange.
Also a possibility.
Does anyone else find themselves doomscrolling their own threads and announces? I’ve noticed that I’ve gotten into that habit ever since I posted my WiP a couple of days back, haha.
I’m pretty content with the initial reception which is really nice at least, but I definitely didn’t expect posting the demo to occupy so much of my brain; I’ve found myself checking the forums whilst at parties and family gatherings…
Oh I know what you mean. When I first started, i treated this like twitter.
I think it’s fine! People spend several months writing a WIP, it’s reasonable to doomscroll it for a week.
Thanks for the recommendations! Ordering them! My poor wallet!
Also… @dozendietcokesaday ! This is an awesome suggestion!
I’d be wiling to volunteer for the trial feedback exchange system! I don’t have a WIP, but I think the idea is definitely a fun one!
More than I’d like to admit. But with so much time tossed at these projects, it would seem almost morally wrong not too.
Sounds good. I think I’ll go with a public list for this trial, so folks with (or without) a WIP can review the list and see who they wish to reach out to. Thanks!
If anyone else wants to have their WIPs listed (with or without the feedback exchange) please feel free to let me know as soon as possible!
Rapidly ticking towards the end of the month, and I’ve managed to get a solid amount of planning out the way. I still haven’t named a bunch of characters but I’m hoping names that feel right will pop into my head at some point.
I’m spending the last few days of the month on background setting lore - padding out things like how I expect the government to work, approximate travel times from one side of the setting to the other, that sort of thing. It’s potentially the most fun part of planning for me, even if I have chosen to base a sci-fi government on the German federal system.
I have written 4K words… but the kicker is that I’ve been digitalizing a book from my shelf (so that I can run analyses on it), so those aren’t creative words!
(Also they’re Finnish words, so by content and length they’re somewhere around 6K in English words, probably.)
I’m tentatively picking up writing again over the holidays, because my upcoming job switch should leave me with more time and energy for it. I’m not really writing anything yet, just working on a Dutch translation for an English Witcher fanfic that has a German translation I use to try to learn that language.
Now that I’m brainstorming about my little dragon simulator, I’ve got a tentative idea set up of how to begin the story and maybe some branching pathways to take from there.
It would begin with the PoV being from a mated pair of dragons where the player can choose to play as either the male or female. Depending on how confident I feel with coding in Choicescript, there’s several branching pathways from there. A successful hunt will lead into the transition into the protagonist’s PoV (one of the clutch). An unsuccessful hunt could result in the death in one of the bonded pair with the PoV switching to the survivor trying to raise the clutch on their own. A diverging path from that could be that the survivor abandons the clutch to find another dragon to mate with and have a new clutch.
It’s a lot to think about from this standpoint. To be honest, I think a lot of folks seem to subconsciously go towards larger word counts as it points to more replayability. I certainly have that unconscious bias and then some. So I’m trying not to push myself into the round hole that I must have a bajillion words. It’ll end when it ends and feels like a satisfying resolution.
Choice of the Dragon is only 20K something words and it’s still a fun little story.
… most embarrassing, I’ve no idea the title yet to my work. So I guess “Dragon Simulator” will be the place holder for a while.
Why would that be embarrassing? I’m pretty sure most people agree that titles are hard.
God this is so true. I think I changed title about four times in the last week or two before I announced / posted my WiP. From Pactbound to Pactmaker to Pactmaker: Covenant to Pactbinder…
Names are hard.
I’m normally pretty good at settling on titles but The Earth Has Teeth was its third iteration and the other thing I’m working on doesn’t have a firm one yet (and is on its second working title). You’re not alone!
Raven de Hart suggested a while back to make a long brainstorm list without thinking about it too much and to focus on the titles in the middle - the first ones that come to mind might be predictable and the last ones scrape the bottom of the barrel, but the midlde ones may be the ones that are the most interesting.
For what it’s worth, I think you got there in the end. I don’t know the other iterations but The Earth Has Teeth is a damned cool name.
Aww thank you! It’s definitely the best of the three - the others were Fine but didn’t do anything more than that.
I think Pactbinder is good, and is the best of the options you were thinking of - it rolls off the tongue nicely.
Thanks! I was a little mixed on it when I first switched, but it has grown on me since I realized it made for a cool title for the protagonist.
