Dawn of the Sol Empire (PUBLIC BETA)

Thanks mate, that seems better.

@Gapaot

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

I made a couple of changes to the beta. I especially liked your suggestion to remove page breaks during the analysis list provided by OIS. It does make it easier to understand when that list is all on one page.

On the other hand, I have to disagree on a couple of points. You’re right that the stat mechanics (and certain historical facts) aren’t comprehensively explained anywhere, but I intentionally made it like that. The idea was to simulate the “fog of war” any decision-maker would have with some unknown factors yet still having to make a major decision. I think the analysis provided by OIS also clears up the stat mechanics to a great extent (perhaps even a bit too much). I guess it’s a personal preference how closely you should be able to control the events that happen in the game.

I disagree that you have to go all-in in a certain direction to succeed. For example, as @Merr experienced, the best ending after surrendering can only be achieved by maintaining some balance (not making the Sol Empire hostile and not weakening your military too much either). In addition, there are many choices that please the Sol Empire and don’t hinder your chances to beat them. So if you plan to surrender, it’s actually better to maintain a healthy balance in your decisions, whereas it’s certainly a bit easier to win the war if you don’t care about offending the Sol Empire - but it’s possible either way.

All in all, I doubt I’ll make drastic changes to the mechanics of the game anymore. It would practically be a very different game altogether if I switched the focus to managing even the lesser decisions that affect the colony, and not quite what I planned to create… That is, basically a strategic/diplomatic decision-maker simulator focusing on the bigger picture.