CS skipping over *if statements?

Well, I’d at least advise making there be only one if at each level when you only want to do one of the things, especially if you are using a final else. Essentially, if you didn’t have the *ending you’d get the Harry Ending then the Hermonie Ending with the variables you’d listed (“male” being correct). Which meant I had to examine the whole body of the first if to make sure it wasn’t that you’d missed a case in there so you went into that if and did nothing then got to the final else.

For a great many things in programming, including this, there are many ways to write code to obtain more-or-less the same result (performance may vary, but for choicescript I wouldn’t bother worrying about it) but some are preferred for readability and being easier to avoid screwing up.

As for nesting, I would have recommended doing it for this one and it would’ve revealed it was “romance” and not “pronoun” that had the problem, but now that it’s written I wouldn’t bother rewriting it.

also, sidenote:
Hope you just did this for testing and not to get it published, cause copyright etc…

Lol, it’s hard to believe J.K. Rowling would copyright the phrase “MARY SUE ENDING FUCK D” :laughing:

1 Like

It’s self published for free because it’s an interactive fan-fiction built with the choice script system. Fair use laws alone make this a viable method, and I read through the choice script terms and since it’s not published through their site it doesn’t seem to be an issue. Beyond that it’s also just a school project meant to explore the uses of interactive fiction and the way the text interacts with gender, sexuality, and identity in ways that the canon text and traditional fan-fiction can’t.

Thanks again guys for helping me out with finding the coding error so that I could actually turn this in. I just got my grade and commentary from my Professor. B+ (only because I forgot to support my arguments in my artist’s statement with specific course readings), and she wants to show it to future classes because of the amount of work I put into it.

1 Like