CS Fade & Color Mod (V 1.2)

*sound command? enlighten me. cant find it anywhere in the dev wiki

@Imon Right, well, basically, like I said before, *sound is an experimental command implemented into CS around the time Samuel H Young had Trial of The Demon Hunter released. In a nutshell, it works exactly like the *image command does in CS, you simply have to add the (in this case) .mp3 file you want into your mygame folder and call it within CS like so:

*sound myaudiofile.mp3

Now *sound is a very limited command in regards to you have no control over playback of the sound file, meaning it will end when it ends and you have no way to loop a sound until a player gets to a specific point, so a player could be reading an epic scene with equally epic music, only for the music to cut out in the middle because it finished. Thankfully, (as I just found out while testing it) it operates on a hierarchical order, that is if you call two *sound commands at once, the latter will override the former, the same concept applies to different scenes, if you play a sad tune first and then the scene turns into a battlefield suddenly (to give an example of complete opposites) the moment you call the second *sound command the first (sad tune) will stop playing, getting replaced by the other, more suitable, tune.

Also, side note, to everyone: I’ve updated the demo of the mod to a version that shows off it’s capabilities more, as you could probably tell by going through it, I had faaaaar too much fun making it than I should have, lol.

Still the same link, so you can access it by going here or clicking the link to it a few posts above.

1 Like

Wow. That’s great! I’m definitely going to install this.

Tried it and it works. However, as I do not know what hexcolor values are, I can only use the two examples you gave above (black background with white writing). Is there anywhere I can find these hexcolor values for the colours?

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_colorpicker.asp

2 Likes

Version 1.2 is UP!

Changes in this version:
-Variable names that the mod runs off of are now (at least somewhat) self-documenting
-The ability to isolate a color scheme for your stats screen, separate from the color scheme for your regular scenes, at will (without the older hackneyed method and without replacing ui.js).
-The ability to isolate the fade in effect for your stats screen, separate from the fade in effect for your regular scenes, at will.

The manual for this version has been updated in the original post of this thread, so go check it out before you download the resources. Let me know if there’s any errors (there shouldn’t be) or anything (within reason, of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) that you’d like to see in another version. On that note, enjoy the new version, hope it can be of some help to ya’.

If I have some text with for example a black background and white text. I can’t seem to change it back in the same scene.
And also I’ve encountered the problem that if I were to use *finish at the end of the chapter that the entire color scheme I’ve set won’t work.

For example.

*create scenecolor ""
*create scenecolor2 ""
*create togglescenefade false
*create scenefadetime "5s"  

*set scenecolor "#000000"
*set scenecolor2 "#FFFFFF"     
*set togglescenefade true
bla bla bla
bla bla!
*finish

The color of both the background and text doesn’t seem to change. But it does however when i replace *finish with *page_break but if I do that I am not able to change the colors to something else.

That’s… odd. I just tested it (switching back from color scheme to CS defaults in the same scene) on my end and it has no issues doing that whatsoever, can you post a snippet of your code?

I knew I was forgetting a command to edit somewhere. I’ve just updated the link to scene.js with the fix for *finish, so re-download it + replace and you should be good to go.

FYI This mod causes the randomtest and quicktest not to work.

That’s the case with all external scripts, since randomtest and quicktest a. don’t expect them (external scripts (other than the default CS ones)) to be there and b. (if the mod uses a custom command) don’t recognize the command. If I may make a suggestion, why not have two CS folders? One with mods installed and implemented and one without, that way you can use quicktest and randomtest on the vanilla folder and use the modded folder for the actual game files.

1 Like

That is a great idea. I will do that. Thanks

1 Like

Does this affect quicktesting and radomtesting for anybody else, I’ve noticed that they don’t work after I installed this mod.

1 Like

All mods (and much other tinkering with the JavaScript core of ChoiceScript) affect quicktest and randomtest, (or rather, it just won’t work) and this is no exception. My own workaround is that I’ve got two versions of my game. One without mods, so that I can use quicktest and randomtest, and one with mods (in my case a save system).

3 Likes

Hey people. I’m working on my WIP and i decided to implement the color changing mod found here:

I got it all installed and it works properly, but I found that all of my multireplace has stopped working. I had no problems with it until this mod was installed so I assume that it’s the cause, since the mod was created before multireplace was implemented.

Does anyone know which code in the scene.js file enables the multireplace, or what the code is for the color changing function of the mod? I can’t compare the two files on my tablet and I don’t have a computer.

I would have posted on the thread but I didn’t want to necro.

In this case a necro is fine, it’s about a specific tool/mod/game and it is a genuine support question (which is also much more likely to be noticed here). When it’s a necro VS splitting a non closed specific topic thread, necro is probably preferable.

1 Like

Heard loud and clear! I’ll keep that in mind for the future.

That being said, I messaged the mod creator, and have heard nothing back, so I’m not sure I’ll get an answer from them.

But thank you for the help.

Forgive the ignorence but what’s “multireplace”? I used this mod to build a short game a few months back and had no problems with it affecting anything adversely.

Worth remembering COG won’t publish anything with this mod in it, so only useful for other projects.

If you publicize a mod here on the forums, for other users to use, I feel there is an implicit expectation for you to continue to update/support it. If that is not an option I would suggest editing to the first post to state as such (warning people against using it).

1 Like

Thanks @CJW I didn’t realise that was what it was called.
@DarthDovahkin I didn’t use any in the game I made with this mod so can’t help sorry.

1 Like

No biggie, don’t worry about it. Thanks though.