College Tennis: Origin Story (WIP) - Updated 21 Dec '23 [468k words]

Omgggg I cant wait to fully get to know Guillaume :drooling_face::drooling_face::drooling_face::smirk::smirk::smirk:

2 Likes

The game just keeps repeating after the meeting Genevieve for the first time ā€¦ :sob: whatā€™s wrong?

2 Likes

@TheBlackOtaku and @Raquel Oh my gosh! Thanks for the heads-up! Could I check which choice you guys picked at the party? Was it to head over to Mike, Thalia or Emerson? Thanks in advance for your help, it would save me a ton of time scrutinising the code :slight_smile: I really wanna get it to work for yall!

@SpanishBrEaD Ah! Youā€™re in for a treat then! The first half of Chapter 2 will be almost exclusively with hallmates (i.e. freshman orientation, plus a small scene where MC goes to class). :smiley:

5 Likes

Damn. Looks like always choosing to practice tennis and never studying is finally going to catch up to me.

4 Likes

HAHHA oh, yes, it definitely will come and bite you in the butt. Just maybeā€¦ not in the first week of class, though :stuck_out_tongue: you still have some time to get your shit tgt. (Or not :face_with_peeking_eye:)

1 Like

I headed for Thalia

1 Like

Bug fixes/Minor improvements:

• Found and fixed one of the mistakes thatā€™s causing the loop with G at the party (Do let me know if you still encounter problems!)
  • Added in a function to allow players to pick Sam & Gā€™s genders in-game/when meeting them
  • Most of the other minor pronoun errors / formatting issues.
  • Added common strengths/weaknesses for each playing style to the glossary (ā€˜explanation of playing stylesā€™)
  • Took out the sexuality-related question out for now.
  • Added back in the small scene where Rayyan takes out their wallet.

Thanks all for alerting me to the bugs/errors! :smiley:

7 Likes

Hello, I was playing and I took a break, when I returned the next day the saves ā€œbuggedā€, disappeared.

2 Likes

Same here. :stuck_out_tongue: I donā€™t mind catching up to my previous reading (I need a refresher anyway) but having to restart the whole thing if I find another bugā€¦ Uhā€¦ Oh God please no. Can we avoid doing that, please. Hahaha.

Regardless, looking forward to try the new update. :slight_smile: Iā€™m pleased to have found a sports title here with a nice writing quality (I mean, there are so many sport inspired shows out there, Iā€™m kinda surprised there arenā€™t more tbh). Really hoping I can offer some constructive criticism in the future. Keep at it.

PS: I was trying to play in my Android phone, Iā€™ll try switching navigators/using my PC too
PPS: Yeah, it happens with all navigators/systems at my disposal. It is illogical, but I was sort of hoping to stumble upon any weird glitch possibly making it work. Just because tech is weird at first glance like that sometimes. Oh well. Back to waiting patiently.

4 Likes

sorry for the late answer but it was Thalia

1 Like

@Kronyc, @Hiimsice Hahaha! Sorry! Iā€™ve fixed the save system, took it out to do testing and forgot to put it back in! So glad youā€™ve found it, and hope you enjoy the game! Iā€™d look forward to your constructive criticism!

@TheBlackOtaku No problem! I think it should be the same spot as the other error - Iā€™ve fixed it :slight_smile: Thanks!

2 Likes

may/can I ask?, is Tobin supposed to be a locked gender (Female?) I mean ā€¦ I chose my MC to be a Femme then entered the womens tennis team, tobin was there and sheā€™s a she ā€¦

Also is there a way to win the match against Emerson *hahhahah I hate losing ą° _ą°  *

1 Like

HAHA yes! Iā€™ve corrected it in the main post to be more clear - basically your teammates in general (e.g. Tobin and Rayyan) are gender-locked, following the gender of your team (i.e. Male or Female).

Yes thereā€™s a way to win against Emerson! Iā€™d say make sure you have at least 2 skills that are high, and then try to choose options that play to those strengths. The game mechanic is a little punishing if youā€™re a well-rounded player with no obvious strengths - a little true to real life, I guess?

Though at some point, I might add in some text/dialogue acknowledging the difficulties of using a:

• Very well-rounded playing style
  • Serve-and-volley playing style

Just for fun! Since I feel it is a little harder.

9 Likes

So when are we going to be able to get up to locker room shenanigans?

2 Likes

I beat Emmerson! Woot! It took a bit of trial and error. I really had to pay attention to her playstyle and when to mix my MCā€™s who is usually all strength and agility. Also just wanted to add this update was well worth the wait and I seriously am loving this story so far :pleading_face: the team bonding, all the training, the party shenanigans- seriously I canā€™t wait for more.

7 Likes

@Krroma Hahah yayyy congrats on beating Emerson! :star_struck: it is indeed a fine balance between playing to your strengths while making sure you dont get too predictable. I hope to incorporate more of that sort of mechanic for future matches! so glad you enjoyed the update!

@Alley_Cat ah!! The next update will be geared towards freshman orientation, first week of classes, and maybe a short challenge match against Jacks/Max, depending on whether you beat Emerson. The following update will feature locker room shenanigans and a doubles match! (At least, this is the rough plan for now. :))

6 Likes

Did it as an all court player with tactics and strength in the low 30ā€™s. Oh, and I made sure to make Emerson underestimate my mc at first as that helps to keep him on the wrong footing. Won first try.

Normally my mc prefers tactics/finesseā€¦but strength is a solid backup for him (and I was gunning for the young hulk achievement). :persevere:

Your mc seems to have defense/endurance as a backup skillā€¦whereas mine seems to use strength/offense and, as the game itself puts it: ā€œSmack the ball six ways to tomorrowā€ as his fallback.

Well thatā€™s one weakness of our near perfect, hottie, Team Captainā€¦it seems he can be quite dense in the romance department. :grinning:

1 Like

My strategy is basically tactics/finesse and if that doesnā€™t work, outlasting his opponent; The match with Emerson was an absolute fucking wipeout

4 Likes

Ohh that actually makes sense now thanks, realizin I chose all player court style ahaha my bad aight imma try other routes out!~

1 Like

Ahh! My bad, I wasnā€™t super clear: Thereā€™s a good chance of you beating Emerson with any of the playing styles but the key is to make sure you have 2-3 skills that are high/pretty high!

The usual skill pair(s) that would fit for an all-court playing style would be something like finesse + tactics, or agility + finesse, or agility + tactics (or a combination of the three). Having high scores in these skills would allow you to cover the court well, hit good winners, read the play, and capitalise on opportunities!

But having all 6 skills beā€¦ more or less equal would make it slightly tougher to win.

Cheers - hope that helps :slight_smile:

9 Likes