College Tennis: Origin Story (WIP) - Updated 21 Dec '23 [468k words]

Haha this is a good idea. Will see what works and how much the MC’s backstory will feature :slight_smile: Either way, hometowns will likely be fictional for the sake of “creative license”, just like Cargill university and the town it’s based in.

HAHHA yes indeed!

1 Like

Lol ya know I kinda imagine the college being in the north eastern part of the country.

1 Like

@Valixon Oh yes Cargill’s in upstate New york - the town it’s in is fictional but does reference real-world upstate New York :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Quick update for everyone (23/11/21):

I’ve fleshed out the cast of characters for the WIP a little more, though I’m still torn between whether or not to include images.

Does it stifle the reader’s imagination? Are the images truly what I envision (and for that matter, what each reader envisions) for the characters? Is it better to leave things open, or pin them down? (This last one seems vaguely philosophical). I’m still undecided, but in any case, the tool (ArtBreeder) that I used to generate the images (@bouncyball’s rec) was cool.

20 Likes

Some IF games have images you can toggle on or off in the menu; that might be something to consider. I usually prefer to turn them off unless the art style clicks with me, but I’m happy as long as that option exists.

2 Likes

Ah, the toggling makes a lot of sense, thank you! Leaving the decision up to the reader is perfect.

I loved your work so far, and i’m glad it’s about sport, that’s the reason i got interested in first place,sadly there aren’t much games about sports there. Good luck on your project, normally i don’t keep accompanying wip, but i will accompany your project so congrats and good luck xD

1 Like

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it and look forward to hearing your thoughts again after the next update :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Love the demo. Cant wait to read more

1 Like

Aw thank you @cassandra_ryan! Glad you enjoyed the demo and am honored that you took the time to drop a message :slight_smile:

Brief general update (as posted on tumblr): I’ll be ready with the next update for College Tennis in ~10 days (Dec 15)!

Barring any last-minute reshuffling-of-scenes, you’ll get to-

• Introduce yourself to the team
  • Beat Rayyan at the strength test (“off day,” they mutter darkly) (achievement: " young hulk" - up for grabs)
  • Come in first for the 5-mile run and hopefully not collapse at the end of it (achievement: " fastest feet first " - up for grabs)
  • Head to a tacos place for lunch with the team
  • Plus some little training snippets.

It should be roughly the same length as the first update, and sets things up for the third update, where you’ll play a challenge match to determine if you’ll likely be part of the Top 6!

31 Likes

You’re welcome. I finally got around to trying out recent game demos I had pending,and this was one. It was so nice to read about the bond between the MC and his father as being on such friendly terms. In most of the stories I’ve read recently l’ve come across such tyrannical or reputation obsessed dads, that its been hard seeing the MC suffer bcoz of them. This was a breath of fresh air.

1 Like

Ah! Hahah yeah man, dads get a bad rep sometimes. You can choose to have a pretty terse relationship with your dad, but he does have good intentions!

4 Likes

I agree. Mine spent so many years living and working in a different country from me that he tends to be very authoritative trying to make up for lost time . So I can relate to having that kind of relationship with mine. He ends up driving me away more than bringing me closer.

1 Like

It’s a change reading about a dad who’s not just a father but a friend, supportive and encouraging of ur passion and what u love to do.

2 Likes

For sure. We need more supportive dads in fiction and in the world!

7 Likes

Hey @burninglights ! Amazing work!
I really like the game! I love how thrilling the matches are and that I can choose from a lot of player types.
I am glad I can see how the characters look like, I don’t think I have seen it elsewhere and also how did you actually make the images?

Keep up the good work :slight_smile: :grin:

1 Like

@Popi Thank you so much! So glad you enjoyed the tennis & the player customisation so far!

Ahh! HAHA I had the exact same reaction when I saw @bouncyball’s RO images for Citadel! They’re created using this really cool tool/website, “ArtBreeder” (definitely check out bouncy’s super awesome medical drama WIP too!)

7 Likes

ehehehe thanks for the promo :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Update: 16/12/21

Hey everyone! I’ve just released a new update (~30k words total, less in a playthrough), which features the first and second days of training. Hop onto first post for the demo link!

Some main scenes:

• Strength test (achievement: "young hulk" up for grabs)
  • 5-mile run (achievement: “fastest feet first” up for grabs)
  • Team lunch at a tacos place

I’ve also cleaned up the first portion a little, based on the feedback and responses I received. Huge shout-out to @kckolbe for being an amazing help in editing and brainstorming and thinking through the scenes/choices as well! :slight_smile:

Aight, thanks for reading, and hope you guys enjoy the update! As always, look forward to hearing any and all thoughts y’all had. Also, the skill checks are not yet 100% settled, so if you think you had too easy/too tough of a time, do let me know!

Full disclaimer: This segment is a little less tennis-related and more ‘world/character-building’ in nature, but the next one should get back with an important challenge match against Emerson to - hopefully - give MC a chance at cracking the top 6.

33 Likes

@burninglights hi! I have a question. How come Guillaume/Genevievé is an RO if they have a partner back home. Personally, I will be very reluctant to hit on someone who is already in relationship. So, how exactly should this work?

1 Like