Choices - must they make a difference?

Somewhere in the first page I think? About half down http://www.choiceofgames.com/forum/discussion/763/choicescriptdev-wikia
I’m surprised no one bookmarked the thread :slight_smile:

@Havenstone *fake_choice with variables does work with quicktest and randomtest.

At some point, using variables with fake_choice changed, because it wasn’t this way at least a year ago.

I find that complex choices, like *if and *selectable_if, don’t cooperate well with *fake_choice, but yes, *set works fine.

you can also do multiple *fake_choice

*fake_choice drink sugar
 #tea
  #one lump
   *set drink tea
   *set lumps one
  #two lumps
   *set drink tea
   *set lumps two
 #coffee
  #one lump
   *set drink coffee
   *set lumps one
  #two lumps
   *set drink coffee
   *set lumps two

JUST be aware that your all *set commands need to be after the last choice… THE ABOVE works fine… the BELOW does NOT!

*fake_choice drink sugar
 #tea
  *set drink tea
  #one lump
   *set lumps one
  #two lumps
   *set lumps two
 #coffee
  *set drink coffee
  #one lump
   *set lumps one
  #two lumps
   *set lumps two

You can tell I’m still new at CS coding because, although I get “It needs to be this way, not that way,” my head still spins as to why.

Not that I’m complaining, I’m still quite grateful for the opportunity to make games with CS…I’m still just quite new it.

I’ve read enough to be convinced. I feel they do have a place, especially in personal character development. Just what is your character thinking? Is it really my place to tell you 100% of the time? Plus, it makes a nice break when things get a little too monotonous in the story-telling & the reader hasn’t had any options in a while.

Internal dialogue and other such “what do you think?” choices don’t necessarily have to be fake ones. I use them to build an image of the player character’s outlook and have them alter “personality” stats slowly over time. When descriptive text or inter-character interaction comes up, I then use those values to inform what the text that is returned to the player.

Hmm…I could use the fakes I put in last night to determine alignment. That’s rather intriguing, I like that idea. Thanks!

I use personality stats to determine how its character thinking and choices character could choose determined by why personality choose the player. If you choose sarcastic humorous diplomatic ones npcs and your inner voices would go that way. I based in the only good thing in DA2 the dialogue tree system and how if you choice more a determined style sarcastic polite or a renegade your character would talk in auto scenes and banter that way.

I try to give value to each player choice and inert thoughts andway to act its important so i want be huge part of a story.Its more work but add replay value. And feel your character is yours