Choice of Rebels: Uprising — Lead the revolt against a bloodthirsty empire!

Calea would disagree with you. She fraternizes with helots all the time.

You shouldn’t read too much into how her relationships tend to end with the helot in question Harrowed. It’s surely just a coincidence that their number is always pulled right when she loses interest in them.

6 Likes

My mc is first of all rather paranoid, so he’s the type who would read something into things even when they are perfectly innocuous and second of all super-duper gay so he wouldn’t be interested in Calea or any woman in that way under any circumstances. Though he likely did have a crush on poor Dann himself.

Point being, it’s entirely possible that the Laconnier might be into helot men as well, just like Simon.

I never said he wasn’t into men just that it was indicated Abelard de Toman, assuming that is the new romance we’re talking about is only into aristos. If that’s the case then, unlike Simon (who my mc also suspects of harbouring Laconnier sympathies) he wouldn’t work out for my mc at all. Gamewise he seems to be the counterpart to Calea who can only be “romanced” by male helots as she’s straight too. It might be that the new aristo ro therefore is only into aristocratic women or he might be some shade of bisexual as seems to be the norm for non-helots in the Hegemony.

The spoiler part of the comment about Horion makes me suspect Horion is still alive and that Horion may have intended to fake his own death in the Whendward Pass. Horion must have known that the Hegemony would never stop hunting him so long as the Hegemony believed Horion was still alive and there would be no better place in the entire Hegemony to fake his own death than a pass held by rebels or bandits.

I also noticed that Horion's relative Teren has gender matching Breden so I am guessing Teren will be another RO.
                      "Well, bless them and their regal blood.  My
                      *if xhe = "he"
                        nephew
                      *if xhe = "she"
                        niece
                      Teren tells me that young Abelard has been muttering about a restored monarchy… and if ${xhe}'s heard it, I imagine the Kryptasts have too.  In any case, milord, many thanks for sharing your memories."  Horion claps your father on the shoulder.  "I'm relieved that no one actually expected me to take the Archonate."                    

4 Likes

Good playthrough, but it sounds like you’re raiding too much. It’s better to put those men towards recruitment, which is basically exponential. In my experience, it’s better to have a larger army with most men armed than a smaller army with everyone armed.

That depends. Having weapons for everyone in the rebellion means that people are more willing to accept the fighting strategy, if I remember correctly, and that was one of my most noticeable issues with that playthrough. It was very hard to convince the band to actually fight the army and do it properly, mainly because Breden was such a large influence on the crew. In one of my later improvements I did manage to convince people to commit properly, and I think that was because everyone had a weapon (But maybe Breden was just slightly less influential and Radmar/Zvad was slightly more influential).

But I also wanted to raid a lot because of anarchy/notoriety, bonuses/penalties to my reputation with certain groups, in order to afford food for everyone, to be able to afford weapons AND spies (spies are really costly when you do this kind of murder spree) for the final battle…

But you inspired me to try one (Read: 50) more time, this time with less raiding, more talking.

Update: I think I might just be addicted to raiding with this kind of character. In a future attempt I’ll try to pretty much only raid things that give me mules. But I still want to raid the caravans for that extra food. If you get the deal done by week 5/6, that is 200 extra food that you don’t have to pay for or send mules to get… But I can agree that ignoring the garrisons and the noble manor might be a decent idea. But this is a rebellion, not a bunch of scouts meeting in the forest. We need to burn at least one manor or this rebellion has been in vain!

4 Likes

you can achieve that by becoming Abgel Eclekt :slight_smile:

I never even raid one single time , with minimum weapons, but they still fight for me zealously in the end battle … and we manage to escape :smile:

That depends. Having weapons for everyone in the rebellion means that people are more willing to accept the fighting strategy, if I remember correctly, and that was one of my most noticeable issues with that playthrough. It was very hard to convince the band to actually fight the army and do it properly, mainly because Breden was such a large influence on the crew. In one of my later improvements I did manage to convince people to commit properly, and I think that was because everyone had a weapon (But maybe Breden was just slightly less influential and Radmar/Zvad was slightly more influential).

Yeah, Breden is the monkey wrench. Here’s what I’ve found, assuming you stop the Harrowing and choose Eclect every time, as well as try to keep everyone in your rebellion (to help in future games).

Charisma builds: these let you either generate a large rebellion with most people well-armed, or a massive rebellion (>1K rebels in Chapter 4) with only a small number of arms. The first choice is better if you want to fight. Furthermore, a Charisma build can use the Player as the main recruiter, and thus sideline Breden. Sidelining Breden also works well if you want to go Inner Voice instead of Eclect.

Combat builds: I’ve had more success (IOW: fewer Chapter 4 combat rounds) in games with a larger army, though with somewhat fewer arms.

Intellect builds: Here is where I reverse my advice. I’ve actually LOST to the Archon if I use a similar recruitment strategy to the Charisma and Combat builds. What I settled on as a successful strategy is using Radmar as my main recruiter and only using Breden on a few runs.

Just used the INT strategy on a very successful 2INT/1COM run even with bad mule RNG.

2 Likes

Just read the book for the first time and I can’t believe how much good it is… It was on my to-read list for a while, considering the welcome it received but when it was released I was not that excited for it (no reason, sometimes that happens to me)… Boy am I glad I finally took the time to do it…
I really liked the universe of the book, reminded of the Eragon saga (well without the dragon obviously), and grew attached to some of the characters pretty quickly, and there is apparently a lot of replayability…
If the sequel allows us to follow on the differents paths we took it will be absolutely one of the best serie of CoG, like the heir of Daria could have been… By limiting the options while keeping them really different from one another and building a solid narrative around it, Havenstone has created a story I’m really excited for… So like many others I would like to congratulate you and thank you for this “new” (oh God it only came out on November? I thought for sure it was at least a year since the release which means I’ll have to wait even longer than I thought noooooooooooo)
story, so take the time you need to write the best sequel possible ! Thank you

`

2 Likes

I finally had the time to replay this game and I just wanted to say that I found the romance path for an a-spec (ace or aro) MC really interesting. The most surprising thing about it was probably that the potential love interests confronted the MC about it, obviously torn that the object of their desire couldn’t/wouldn’t return their affection in the same way. I rather liked it for the realism and I don’t remember ever seeing that happen in another game (but maybe that’s my own fault for not being more adventurous with my choices?). There are obviously many other things to like about this game, but this stood out to me especially since it was such an unexpected and welcome surprise. So, thanks for that. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have missed that ! Would it be possible for you (or anyone else really) to tell me how to achieve this particular “romance” ?

You can’t (yet) it is confirmed to be in the sequel though, unless @Havenstone has changed his mind about it in the meantime.

4 Likes

Bringing over the future ROs queries from the Hints thread to this one, where I think it fits better.

Current plans for ROs (or at least Options for a Fling) are subject to authorial changes of vision [Edit: last updated on July 1, 2019] but include:

• Cerlota, Erreziano Theurge. Woman attracted to women.
  • Jevahir, Nyrish warrior and spy. Nb and cetero.
  • Erjan, Halassurq spymaster. Man attracted to men.
  • M’kyar, Abhuman guardian. Woman, leopard, pansexual.
  • Laj-jas, Abhuman merchant prince. Non-binary otter, pansexual.
  • Abelard, young Laconnier noble in Grand Shayard. Man, bisexual.
  • Teren, young noble of the Leaguer faction in Grand Shayard. Genderflipping and playersexual, a la Breden.
  • Calea. Woman attracted to helot men.
  • The heir to the Thaumatarch (Diadoch Phaedros/Diadoche Phaedra). Genderflipping (including to nb) and playersexual.
  • Elery. Woman, bisexual.
  • Yebben. Man, bisexual.

Possibly others I’m forgetting? But that’s the range I can recall offhand.

50 Likes

Wow… that’s a lots of RO there… Lol

too bad Cerlota ( now i remember her ) is only attracted to women … but Teren, The heir to the Thaumatarch and Elery all seem interesting …

I don’t suppose we are allow to romance more than one RO right ? so definitely lots of re-play value there :slight_smile:

But the heir to Thaumatarch ??? That is HUGE !!! so now we have 3 Aristocrats ROs for my male Aristocrat MC :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Pity that really isn’t going to work for my mc considering they’re already moving towards disposing of Breden on firm suspicions of treachery. Erjan would be a case of literally getting into bed with someone who serves a hostile neutral (slavery supporting super) power whose strategic objectives run directly counter to those of my mc.
Surprising that he’s gay though, I thought Halassur had a much more gendered (patriarchal) society compared to the Hegemony and likely frowns on that sort behaviour by all social classes, not just the slaves?

Isn’t he exclusively attracted to aristo mc’s too, cause I seem to remember you telling Mara she’d get her aristo exclusive fellow aristo lover eventually.?

Seems that without my own mod he would be my mc last best hope, assuming he’s a he and attracted to men of course. Otherwise, well they do say it’s awfully lonely at the top, which would mean my mc’s twin loves would default to (magical) knowledge and the grand canal.

Flipping to the same or opposite gender of Breden?

Aww…no making out with his best “student” for my mc then.

Breden seems to be set up as the key to the whole genderflipping thing.

1 Like

Will the two genderflipping NPCs be tied to the PC’s gender, a la Simon/Kalt, or up to the player’s choice like Breden?

That’s right, seems I was misremembering. My bad.

@Havenstone, I was wondering, will you ever make a map of the Karagond Empire? Just to make it easier to visualize the geography and the locations of different regions?

Here you go:

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16904949_1794436337543354_4299808221266384177_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=9b1590f2eb1ea66d5683f92db78cf1f8&oe=5B8EB704

Clumsily taken from the Facebook page. If Havenstone himself or anybody else wants to link a better version, please do. If the author objects to me reposting this here I suppose he can always take it down.

6 Likes

Hi Jukka, thanks for asking! Have a look at my FB page: https://m.facebook.com/jhavenstone

2 Likes