Choice of Rebels Part 1 WIP thread

What’s my writerly signature?

I’ve got no real idea how to answer that question, but some of you might have an insight, and I’d be interested to hear it…

Historical detailing with a cosmopolitan flare that challenges the firmly held preconceptions of Western cultural ascendancy.

Your younger self (on the 1990’s bb) was a bit more harsh and judgemental but your current writing has evolved far beyond that point.

I also am unable to answer that question for myself but I think that’s because I’m too new as a writer to know anything yet about my writing.

2 Likes

Hm… you add details to your world that make it feel more genuine and interesting. Not necessarily “realistic”, but the world of Choice of Rebels isn’t only place A and B, it’s places with a specific culture, and songs, and names.

1 Like

I’ve gone through this game multiple times, and I must say throughout them all I’ve made different choices and seen through all the different things I’ve had my hero do there seem to be a few prevailing personality types through them all. Like what history will remember through all the great leaders of life the type of leader we were until the end, outside the stats page and more on what our actual choices were are really like I’d say you can describe the choices in these ways, also like at the end of the guy i could see the game saying:

You led your rebellion with:

Instinct and anger

Fierce passion

Prevailing strategy

Unwavering conviction

Ruthless anger

Heartfelt pacifism

Stubborn pride

1 Like

Fucking Amazing, Can’t wait till it’s done.

1 Like

There are much more personalities involved you just signaled the most typicals and in my opinion boring :wink: I am a Ruthless politician who follows a Pacifist route until reach victory when she would starting a massive purge. The options are endless.

1 Like

Ghandi-on-a-mule … its called Ghandi-on-a-mule

2 Likes

I called it Evil Gandhi is more elegant for a noble as Mara de Jade

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Tevin and RedJohnny – glad you’re enjoying it.

Tevin, I think I’ll leave the personality types for the player to self-describe rather than try to capture them in an actual line of the game. I don’t know if you follow Guenevere, but that thread has convinced me that no personality schema I come up with could represent all the different ways that players envision their character’s emotions, motivations, etc. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you feel that all those are consistently possible approaches to the story! (To say nothing of Mara’s “carefully-hidden contempt and murderous intent toward everybody else in my rebellion,” or idnlun’s brand of unwavering conviction which is wedded to a nothing-to-lose determination to uproot everything and begin the world afresh.)

9 Likes

Wait, what you knew young @Havenstone back in the days of prehistoric internet?
What kind of BB was that? And more importantly what did you all write/discuss on there?

As for your writerly signature I would say it would have to be the detailed world-building with the subtle blend of Western and non-Western elements, tropes and philosophy.

3 Likes

@Eiwynn is referring to my old D&D campaign write-ups, which I believe you’ve also flipped through?

We didn’t know each other in the 1990s, alas. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes; the never-ending rabbit holes. If we had known each other back then, our first campaign would still be in progress, all this time later.

I’m blushing. Thank you for believing so.

2 Likes

Those are all good points. My MC would not consider any of them impossible, but would still rate them less likely than Breden being trustworthy for the reasons given. If the Hegemony is hoping my MC’s rebellion will dispose of powerful nobles for them, then the Hegemony will be sorely disappointed because my MC’s rebellion is saving dealing with the nobles for after dealing with the Hegemony :laughing:.

I like Elery and Pin. Efforts by some MCs to teach them both theurgy/wisardry seem like a good strategy since the potential gain far outweighs the temporary loss of their talents. Pin is too young to be a RO, but my MC admires Pin’s bravery and intelligence. My MC would seriously consider romancing Elery because of her bravery and brains were she an option and not with Zvad. I adore the scene where Breden tells the MC that Elery and Zvad have been spending more time together and the MC is completely clueless as to a likely possible reason. The MC’s reaction in game is totally how I pictured my MC reacting, brilliant thanks to reading books, but there is a reason my MC relies on Breden’s people skills. My MC would find those two being together adorable too if my MC were not too oblivious to realize it.

I liked Horion. I hope he survived the ambush if there was one. However, I don’t like the implications of how he got 2 corpses to fake their deaths if that is what happened.

I want to know more about Sarcifer. Sarcifer might still be alive and I am kind of hoping that the renegade Theurge that Horion was headed to meet might be Sarcifer. However, Sarcifer sounds too powerful to need some noble to offer shelter rather than hiding and surviving using Sarcifer’s own power. It also sounds like the Hegemony wants to catch Sarcifer badly enough that hiding with some noble would not be a good idea anyway.

Breden is the first potential RO the MC meets, one of the initial two potential deputies for the leader of the rebellion, and our MCs have more interaction with Breden (at least initially) than anyone else.

Who is Pin? Lol I never know half of characters lol. I have Zvad and the one who is only muscles and zero brain and wants that I fight an army charging at them with 43 people lol. My men are stupid as bonkers Helots lol.

@poison_mara, Pin is one of the kids.

Well, some of the characters I liked were Horion, because I really enjoyed his conversation with the MC regarding the rebellion. it was also a pretty nice way for the player to establish the limits of what they want to do, froma a game perspective.

Elery is pretty high too, especially how we haven’t seen so much of her compared to others like Breden, but how she thinks and feels about the rebellion are of interest to me.

I’m also in the minority here, but I like the scenes were the noble MC interacts with their father. Not because I like the father, but I like the way the conversations are written, and the father’s perspective towards the rebels, thinking of himself as the last of his line and everything, I really liked those scenes.

4 Likes

@Havenstone What was I doing all my life that today was the first time I ever played this wip?? ISTG it is so good I just want chapter 2 since I’m lost regarding what happens on chapter 3.

I’m just doing the most common ones. Mine is strategist with a heart of gold and deep hatred toward his enemies. When victory comes, let’s just say his religion may be a bit…controversial…

I am honored you like my feedback. Thank you…so, quick question, what do you do on your personal playthroughs?

1 Like

Well, I have to play lots of different styles – I’ve not got a single preferred personality. As I write I tend to take it a choice at a time, writing a range of choices that seem to make sense; and then as I play through, I’ll find something that needs adding based on the personality/choices I’ve made on that particular run.

Incidentally, folks, I think I’m going to push to get Ch 4 done, or at least mostly done, so that my next batch of testing can be for the full game mechanic up to the end of the fight in the woods.

14 Likes

Just let us know when to test - my noble still wants to be crowned empress :stuck_out_tongue: