I enjoy the peaceful revolution, winning with my words. Looking forward to how I best the Archon with my brain.
Fighting and winning is a double edged sword.
On one side you gain support, bolster the rebellion, and actually do some real damage.
On the other you thin your ranks, piss off the Archon, and get an even target bigger target painted on your back.
You just have to decide if the risk outweighs the benefit. It’s not a bad decision. But it’s not a good one either. (Actually that’s how I feel about all the choices. They’re all kinda “meh”, but they really are the only options other than just quitting. Lol.)
I personally however would not fight at this current juncture because I just don’t think our troops are ready for a battle of this scale. They’re not an army yet. They’re barely even bandits. Lol.
I think I’ve found bug. When selecting who’ll go with me to raid the sheep, Breden showed up as a choice even when I’ve chased him away.
Thanks for the answer, seems pretty reasonable to me.
From a mechanical/gameplay point of view, how are you intending to tackle the various different possibilities here? While guerrilla warfare and trying to destroy the Archon’s army should have you in roughly similar situations - a coherent band operating in the mountains, fading into the Helot masses seems like it would take you in a wildly different direction. If this is the case, does it mean you’re going to be writing essentially two different paths from this point forward?
The other thing I’m curious about, is what is the difference between Command and Intelligence now? In earlier builds I took COM to be more combat and your martial skill in hand to hand, which is why I never went for it. In the most recent spate of updates, it seems to also encompass your battlefield acumen. Something I had previously assumed to be part and parcel of the Intelligence stat.
If my memory isn’t playing tricks on me, it is a good change. The idea that your individual skill with a blade could ever be as relevant as… everything else in a struggle of this scale was a little silly. However, where does Command stop and your Intellectual capability begin?
If I had to guess, Command would be your tactical ability and skill at the level of direct engagement with the enemy. Intelligence would be the grand strategy, logistics, etc. In time, if your rebellion ever turns into a full fledged struggle with the Karagond Hegemony, I can almost imagine an Int based character (without any Command) having to direct and maintain the war effort in a broad strokes style. For effective battlefield leadership, you can rely on trusted subordinates. Delegations and specialisation.
Well, since I’ve already left some hints in my publicly available code… The plot is going to wrench you temporarily away from most of the other rebels, hopefully in a plausible and tolerable bit of railroading. The outlaws who survive the Archon’s attack (whether victorious, defeated, on the run, or preaching the good word out in the camps) will continue in the direction you’ve set. You’ll pop back for some scenes which will be quite different depending on the outcome of Game 1… but I shouldn’t need to write completely different games.
COM as described when you pick it in Ch 1 (“Fighting and leading others in a fight.”) was always intended to cover command skills too, though several of the early COM checks are fighting checks. As COM increases it will primarily be your command skills where you see the difference – see here and following posts for an earlier conversation on this.
Whereas Intellect (not intelligence – a fine distinction, I know) represents “book-smarts, memory, logic, and the ability to think quickly in the face of the unexpected.” At times, this will be useful for a general (look for the COM+INT checks in future games), but not necessary. Your guess that COM is tactics and INT strategy & logistics is a good one (and not entirely wrong), but not quite what I’m going for.
In our own world, the overlap between great intellectuals and great generals is not vast. Good strategy can be (at least!) as much intuition as intellect, various bits can as you say be delegated, and while a great general will no doubt develop e.g. a good memory for what’s worked in past battles and a good grasp of the necessities of logistics, that will be a speciallized intelligence in their sphere of natural talent, not the general-purpose high mental capacity I have in mind for INT.
When dealing with Hector if you select all the options individually, you still get left with the choices to do nothing else or do everything above.
Also it’s possible to have no one die from Hector’s attacks if you try to guard the caravans better, but the text doesn’t acknowledge that. A similar situation happens with the sentence grammar if only one follower dies in the attacks.
I know you said gunpowder isn’t used in warfare because it is so easy for a thruge to detonate it prematurely. Is it still used for civil purposes like mining?
I’m thinking if you have some miners or quarry drudges among your new joins that they might know how to aquire some. Anyway instead of using it in a firearm what about a mine? This is even better if you are a thruge because you can “wirelessly” command detonate any mines you’ve setup. If the mines are pre-buried then only you and your bandits should know where they are…
Yes, black powder is used for mining – I think there were two upthread posts on this, here and here, which may be a little more comprehensible in light of what we now know about Theurgy.
I’ve been debating whether to introduce miners’ powder in Game 1 or 2. I think we’ll see how well Ch 4 works without it.
Yow ill just asku guys because i cant be bothered was there a recently new update? Im too lazy and its already 2:22 am here.
@Portugas_D_Ace The last time you played the demo, if you did not encounter someone who came from across the Ward, then there is an update. If you did, nothing new yet.
Am I the only one with only 57 adults ten maces? Always that Radmar and others tell me to stay and fight, I can’t stop laughing. Sure ten maces would stop phalange . Even worse, I’ve got 0 combat skills. @Havenstone You must adapt advices to the amount of people and weapons. Because no one can advice Fight against an entire phalanx with ten maces and no combat experience. My idea hide between Helots and try to grow group has more more sense. Or just run …
Interesting method, and to a degree necessary. I haven’t seen any kind of interactive story based game that doesn’t make such decisions, whether that’s BioWare’s latest RPG or Telltale. At the end of the day, we need a story that can be written in under 20 years.
So Command is essentially a catch-all for all skills related to Generalship. The distinction with Intellect makes sense, in that so far I’ve seen it provide benefits through tangential facets of the rebellion. It’s not so much grand-strategy in a conventional sense, it’s being able to trick your merchant into revealing when the tax collector is coming through, create plans to flush out the potential traitors, or hit upon an unconventional solution to escaping from your raid on Hector’s estates.
One thing that does occur to me though, is it seems that Intellect will be what’s most useful if you ever get to a “nation-building” part of the game. If significant parts of Shayard, or more even, fall under your control. One of the hats you will need to wear will be “Ruler.” Intellect, and Charisma as well I suppose, seem like they would be incredibly helpful here in actually creating a stable situation outside of defeating Karagond in battle.
Of course there is also learning that particular skill that you can only do with Intellect (how do I spoiler text? :P) Will that particular skill be a way to off-set a lack of Command if you want to engage the Archon’s army?
The previous conversation you linked was very interesting. Also, you stated that you would get a total of 7 stat points over the course of the game? I’m wondering how much the game will reward specialising versus general competency. From my understanding of the stat system, 2 in any particular stat means you are very competent in the given area, while 3 is basically world class; 4 or higher being reserved for the stuff of legends. If that’s the case, a 3 CHA/2 COM / 2 INT leader seems like he would be a very dangerous character, while splitting so that you’re some kind of of Einstein or Alexander the Great is also possible. Will doubling down on existing strengths or diversifying both be possible in future games?
@Bagelthief
Hope you have an axereaver…
Spoiler tags. Like this.
[spoiler]Breden is a zombie traitor.[ /spoiler] Take out the space.
@Sneaks …We have Ephraim. Bless.
…Which, mind you, reminds me of my usual tactic for the infamous Elincia’s Gambit (I later learned it’s just the usual tactic because it’s the only one that works lmao).
46 men vs 20, all reinforcements counted for, 93 versus your 27? Choke point with Haar. That’s it. That’s all you need to do.
Crossbows aside, you can tank the entire goddamn thing by moving short axe Haar into the right places moving along the right side of the fort. You’ll need to have a beast sub-human be shoved into the range where they can shift and subsequentally take down the mages to prevent him dying in a ranged kill.
Go out in front of the allied knights with your fliers (it’s riskier) and keep on higher ground. Any mages or archers (Calil is a godsend) can stay along the walls and chip away at the cavalry, and given two turns or so you can run Haar right over to the stairs, risk an open galdr, move again to Ludveck and kill him ASAP, ending the map with all the beast laguz choking the stairs (Mordy on one side, Lethe and Brom on the other as he’ll benefit from her being faster). Anyone else just hunts down the stragglers and pesky archers.
Done. In a fraction of the turns, with no losses (if you’re doing it right)! Alternatively you can break up Ludveck’s flank by charging with any halberdiers or mounted knights and then slip through with Haar, but I just like risks that involve shoving and little to no waiting.
I just tend to bullshit all my tactics and then find out they’re actually really good. I can change on the fly and just have a natural talent for both real time and turn based strategy but leadership-wise in real life I’d never survive. I’m such a dork.
…I need to make an 0 Charisma, 3 Com Choice of Rebels character now, don’t I?
I never knew how to do this!!! Thanks!!omg
@Bagelthief
I- Uh… That’s a good strategy. A really good strategy. And I’ve been playing Fire Emblem for over 10 years. I applaud you, loudly so.
Bless you! I’ve only been playing for eight or so years. Maybe it’s an autism thing. It’s sooo great to be praised by my senior! You’ve made my day! -bows-
(this forum needs a like+ button lmao)
Brenden really is a traitor?!
GOD DAMN IT… Well i guess thats a good drama or whatever, destroy the leader by breaking his lover
No? I mean, maybe, but Sneaks was just explaining how to use spoiler tags using fake information. (Breden is probably not a zombie, for example)
Unless ur talking about Brdn, lmao
