Character roles & player aims

I mentioned this recently on another thread, but I love to play through games as a pacifist (good or neutral), especially games where you’re not quite meant to try that. It’s fun.

I also love playing the ‘least of these’, or the long shot. The underdog. That was one reason why I enjoyed Ratings War, I think.

3 Likes

My main archetype is an underpowered female with mental health issues and/or socially awquard and is mostly indifferent. Hard to say for class due to diversity of games, but something not physically powerful, so a mage, a thief etc or someone who takes on problems indirectly.

2 Likes

Charming asshole rogue getting into people’s pants while doing the right thing . So basically Sarcastic Hawke from DA2.

4 Likes

Necromancy is always fun

Always more interested in things where you can play a nonhuman or have nonhuman characters (whether it’s monsters, transhumanism, aliens, robots, whatever). Not something I absolutely need since I’ve played games that don’t even mention it at all, but I love when I get to explore what exactly it means to be a person in those cases

Not necessarily at thing that will make or break a game, but since I just happen to be at a very lonely position in my life right now, whether or not there’s a good romance is a deciding factor in whether or not I’ll play the game (sad, I know) Rivals-to-Friends-to-Lovers will forever be my weakness. I’m honestly more of a fan of the romance being a little side-plot and you just get some bonus scenes and an extra few sentences about how you and LI end up at the end of the story since Choice Of games are more usually story driven then character driven unlike some actual dating sims I’ve played which were basically “Here’s Barely A Plot, Pick Which Pretty Boy You Want.” Characters were nice sometimes but I just couldn’t get into them

Having trans or nonbinary characters or being able to play one is always a plus. Doesn’t even have to be a major part of the plot, could just be a little snippet in the character creation, and it would automatically gain brownie points from me (but I’m biased so…)

(this came out way longer than intended woops)

2 Likes

That works, romance is #1 for me, everything else is just extra :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

To put it simply; I am here for the romance(s) solely, no RO no buy. Shallow I know, but every trope has been played, there are choices plenty on what to play. So I only buy games that let the player be themselves (or whomever they wish to be) I no longer accept it is way this society is created or it is simply must be this way. It is a lack on the author’s part to be inclusive(Yup I went there).

So the only selling point for me is there a romance, and is it well thought out, or is it tacked on and shallow?

TL;DR
Romances!

4 Likes

I like escapism - I like playing someone who gets to have some incredibly power, a deep dark secret and a deep, epic romance with the person of my choosing. (Though I admit the romance is the most important aspect for me here.)

4 Likes

Where possible I like to play evil sorceress types.

Examples would be the evil ending of Neverwinter Nights 2nd Expac Hordes of the Underdark or the dark side inquisitor in SWTOR.

2 Likes

You should just save time and jump on the dark side from the get-go. The cookies are worth it :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I most enjoy playing the role of a bard/support class of sorts. I prefer to be able to use charm and wit to escape situations.

Though, on replays, I also like playing a sneakier assassin sort of character, though I still like to be able to have a snarky attitude on them rather than the brooding type.

2 Likes

The characters I tend to create in a first play-through of a game are very charismatic, and good at achieving goals through dialogue rather than direct conflict (like talking people down from a fight, or persuading them to join my side). Usually my characters would pursue the greater good, but sometimes they can be quite selfish, looking out for number 1. Rarely malicious for the sake of it, though. I save the true evil for subsequent playthroughs :smiling_imp:

In terms of classes in RPGs, I tend to play a mage or healer - someone who has a lot of options, and can influence the tactics and course of the battle from afar.

2 Likes

I think my first priority tends to be trying to get everybody to like me :innocent: well, being nice to everybody, anyway. Sometimes characters don’t actually like that.

Otherwise, I don’t do mean stuff and generally not selfish stuff, so I tend to be majorly altruistic, but I will take cowardly options sometimes because I feel like it helps with the character feel.

I definitely go for whatever the more intellectual character type is, which in some cases does seem to involve going for magic, but sometimes more just a scholarly type.

Oh yeah, and courting a cute guy is a major draw as well :blush:

I also enjoy this. I should note that I typically play as trusting as possible. Or, to put it another way, naïve.

It is interesting seeing @Gower say this, because it really makes sense in terms of how Midsummer Nights Choice turned out… this is certainly a CoG where being hapless, indeed, failing a lot, seems much more enjoyable :smile:

I tend to feel guilty if I start playing as a meanie… which is interesting :thinking: especially given that I play Crusader Kings 2, in which I generally end up being about as awful a warmongering tyrant as possible :confused:

I wonder what it is that triggers computer game guilt at times but not at others.

Aha, I find a difference :grin: I largely avoid playing warrior-types.

2 Likes

I personally prefer a class, or job if you prefer to, that one day, in the game, grants me fame and fortune!!!

I want the people of the kingdom remember my name 'cuz I create a history on their school book.

I want people worship me either because of good deed, or a bad one.
Being god is not that bad tho, especially when you’re worshipped by other gods!!!

MWAHAHAHA
GOD OF GODS

'k, I need to cool my head a bit again

2 Likes

I play charming, intelligent leader types. I talk my way out of trouble, figure out the clever stuff, and surround myself with party members who can take care of any skills I can’t bluff my way through.

Oh, and morality-wise? My first playthrough is always grey.

3 Likes