Blood and Runes (WIP) -- Updated January 10th

That’s a fair idea. I included it now because I’ll have to set the foundation relatively early on. By chapter 3 all of them should be introduced, so i might make a second poll to check again.

3 Likes

I’m always in favor of the general concept of poly routes, though I can’t say I have any interest in any of these ROs besides Idar, so I doubt I’d choose one for this game.

4 Likes

Minor Progress Update:

• I’ve ironed through most of the typos pointed out to me in chapter 1
  • I’m fairly confident I’ve combed through all the bugs
  • I’ve started working on chapter 2 and hope to be reasonably productive this weekend. The work week has been a really rough one and unwinding through writing will be nice. So long as coding doesn’t get in the way.
  • The additional things pointed out, such as making the choices at the front of the brothel more clear and more choices in the last leftwing scene, have not been forgotten. I just want to capitalize on the burst of inspiration I got before it dwindles.
27 Likes

Interesting premise, I will follow! Mages serving as the secret police of the King… Very interesting.

7 Likes

Can’t wait to meet more characters! Poly route/s seem to be a good idea, I noticed some users who would definitely love to be on that. That’s something we don’t often see, mostly because of the time/effort it requires, if you think you can do that, then, I don’t see why not. :blush:

4 Likes

bug with choosing left wing something about spacing
would not let me copy paste it srry

2 Likes

So here my MC was being all nice and polite, and then Aariz blunders in like a bull in a china shop, getting an innocent civilian killed in the process. He is so getting thrown under the bus at the first opportunity. Assuming he doesn’t get himself killed first.

Why do I get the feeling the reason Dalia managed the get the promotion was that she somehow managed to not get blamed for Aariz’ stupidity, but our MC wasn’t so lucky.

5 Likes

I’ll have to fix that later. Thanks for letting me know.

Did you choose a weapon at the front of the brothel? If so, which, if you can remember?

Aariz is… Aariz. He’s a very complicated person, though in a different way than Dalia. Given the events of this chapter, you can totally throw him under the bus when you report to Dalia. Actually, thank you for giving me that idea.

8 Likes

Aariz is a national treasure that should be protected at all cost. I love his character, guy allows for my PC to be the calm one while he rushes in on some Shonen MC energy XD. Plus the writing is soooo good like this has potential and lots of it. Though imma be mad if if charges in and ends up making out with the wrong end of a sword…these characters tend to die like that when they aren’t the MC. But yh I love it so far.

8 Likes

This is… Wow. This has so much potential, which others have already stated. I can’t wait to see where you take this, because just from our limited interaction with our resident bull in a China shop, I can already tell that a great amount of love went into writing him. Sure some would say his personality is generic, and to some degree that may be true, but I can’t wait to learn about him to see what makes him tick the way he does.

7 Likes

I read and play so many different things that at this point all personalities are generic for me! :laughing:

10 Likes

Minor Progress Update:

So unfortunately, I really haven’t had time to write anything other than a few drabbles here and there. On the bright side, thanks to those drabbles I feel as if I have a stronger grasp on my characters, now, and what makes them tick. It’s funny, sometimes, because it feels like they write themselves.

Stuff should calm down much more soon, with personal matters becoming less stressful. In the meantime, I think I’ll be creating a list of Reian’s aristocracy. Once that’s done I’ll post it here and on tumblr. It’ll have information and history about Ralys’ family, their vassals, etc, and current living members.

20 Likes

That’s a sentiment I see all the time for art, be it drawing, writing music, or writing. So I’m gonna say that’s a good sign :grinning:

5 Likes

Wow didnt know you were writing now dawn , you have my support.

5 Likes

think it was sword or dagger cant rember

1 Like

Me: When it comes to the MC’s mask, I’ll give four options to the players, and each will offer a chance to boost one of their stats!

Also me: Has literally no idea what to put for magic or combat.

On the bright side, I’ve finally started the MC’s customization! After that is Aariz’s first flirt scene and traveling to the Sanctuary! Where you’ll meet Dalia and Tam and come across important worldbuilding :eyes:. I’m excited to reveal more about the King’s Order.

Edit: Customization is officially finished! It includes height, build, hair color and texture, skin color, eye color, and masks, as well as facial hair for a male MC. And it only took me hours lmfao.

31 Likes

This isn’t so much a a completely systemic example, but this is a scene in Chapter 2 where Aariz interacts differently with a male MC and a female MC because of the enviornment/expectations they grew up in:

With a Male!MC

Grudgingly, you acknowledge that he has a point. Throwing your cloak off, you begin to pull your tunic over your head.

Aariz does not bat an eye as you do so and removes his own clothing, unfazed even as your tunic falls to the floor of the bathhouse. And why would he? You grew up together, after all. You have bathed together since you were children and trained together since you could both walk; he has seen your naked body a thousand times.

He wades into the pool along with you, sighing as the warm water laps at his skin, and settles beside you on a nearby bench, reclining against the pool wall.

With a Female!MC

Grudgingly, you acknowledge that he has a point. Throwing your cloak off, you begin to pull your tunic over your head.

Aariz turns away politely as you do so, coughing awkwardly. You suppose that it is a natural reaction, given your childhoods; you have bathed with Dalia since you were a child but not him, not even when you trained together; such a thing would be frowned upon.

Aariz waits until he hears the sound of you wading into the water before he changes quickly, waiting for you to turn, before joining you. He settles onto a bench a distance away, eyes glued to your face.

Thought it’ll be more time-consuming I think that changes like this will be worth it :smile:

I haven’t forgotten about the list of Reian’s nobility, I’ve just actually had some time to write and focused my efforts on that. For now, a tidbit:

1. Ralys’ full name is Ralys de Amars. Her family, House Amars, has rules Reian for centuries.

2. In Reian, a noble bastard is given a bastardized version of their father’s name. Or their mother’s, if the father is not disclosed or refuses to acknlowedge them. It works like this – you switch out the every syllable save the first for suffix ‘ard’ to indicate their status. So if Ralys had been one of her father’s illegimitate children rather than a child by one of his wives, her name would be Ralys de Aard instead.

3. The ‘de’ in her name recognizes her as a member of nobility/royalty. It’s how naming conventions work for the highborn in Reian.

4. It is not rare for children – particularly in the nobility – to be given the suffix ‘ys’ in their names. For fun little worldbuilding I’ll add in the game.

2/26/22

Haven’t had much time to write this week, but in the meantime, I did make a family tree for House Amars. Not for all of it, because their house spans centuries, but it consits of the living members and their parents :grin:. House Amars is the ruling house of Reian, as a refresher, and Ralys’ family. Here they are (you might need to click on the image to see it better):

Ralys and Irys are named in honor of their father’s mother and sister, respectively, while Rema and Remira are named for him. Interpret that how you will.

I’m planning to get more writing done this weekend, if I can knock real-life responsibilities out of the way quickly. Luckily chapter 2 is pretty much already outlined for me.

34 Likes

Very short but the writing’s quality :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to reading more! What kind of class is the MC if you had to put it in DnD/PF terms?

3 Likes

I refused to use magic for obvious reasons I mean I have 2 daggers sooooo… Never mind the set up and the scenery is nice so far but who exactly is the guy you chase In This demo? That’s pretty open so far a bit more background would be nice

2 Likes

A dude who thought it was a good idea to embezzle from a king who has a magical secret police. I swear, there’s always one.

(sometimes, there’s two, like that one time Theseus and Pirithous thought it was a good idea to take a trip down to the Underworld and kidnap Persephone)

5 Likes