Best Beginnings In COG

Writing a story from the begining is hard. When I write I usually write from the middle to the end and then go back and do the begining. Its way easy to write about conflict than introduce it.

Yeah I always feel lost no matter what way I attack it from.

Beginnings are awesome for character developpement and relationship developpement.

You make 2 or 3 people having a conversation on a subject, with 2 disagreeing with the third. After a while, they ask the player what he thinks. And then magic, the player is immersed.

I’m working on my first game right now and that’s what I’ll be doing.

I’ll try making character creation seemless (maybe one guy throws an insult, and the player gets the opportunity to say “I may be a woman, but [comment]” but that’s a detail.

So does that mean you’re looking for a unique beginning? Or one that’s not too complicated? I like the beginning of Moby Dick …“Call me Ishmael”… then goes into the story.

Or you could start out with a with a merged branch part of the story. A few dramatic lines, then go on to say something like “…The trouble began when…” then jump into another part of the story before the merge branch. Eventually when you get back to that part of the story you’d then say something like "…and now I need to move forwards… " or you could do something like "…let me tell you my story… I’m a -insert choice- living in a world of -insert choice-… " etc.

I find it easier to write the beginning after I’ve planned out my story line. No one knows more about the world you’re writing than you do. Sometimes it helps to just write :smile:

1 Like