Are there any dating sims out there?

I’ve got a bunch of friends who are bi and they fit none of the stereotypes of their sexuality. If and MC or their love interest is bi it feels like to me there’s more options to choose from. Like if I enjoy that character ill want to get to know them from all angles if that makes sense to any of you.

My game is a history-inspired fantasy (kind of like Game of Thrones is history-inspired-fantasy). It has a plot beyond the romance but the romance is the focus; you choose between 3-5 candidates about a third of the way through the game and then the story focuses on them. I’m focusing heavily on character, so replays will encounter the same plot but provide different characters to interact with and different relationships to develop with the same characters (like you could have a sweet or adversarial relationship with your chosen love interest).

I want to play your game, @Chrysoula that sounds like fun.

I’m going to do my best to avoid stereotypes, though there might still be a few in there since I do intend to implement a few promiscuous characters, if only so you can have your fun. I don’t know, I suppose when I started thinking about the game, I had a do-whatever-you want sort of thing going on. The way I think about it, since you choose which character you chase after at first, the fact that everyone else is bi or does one thing or another doesn’t really matter at the moment. If that makes sense.

Anyway, the main thing is I don’t like restrictions.

I think less restrictions will be a good thing it’ll let us have the freedom to run around and explore things.

Restrictions are the difference between a completed project and a project in potentia. :slight_smile:

And I thought of another way to explain my idea: it’s like if the Romance Chapter of Broadsides was expanded to a full game.

Oooh now that really piques my interest. I liked the romance in COB but wanted a bit more.

I liked the romance with your enemy in Choice of Broadsides. I thought that the courtship romance was extremely shallow though and would have loved to have seen it elaborated upon. I was hoping that Choice of Romance would be that game, however it wasn’t really a game about dating and romance. There were just the three choices and none of them were all that romantic.

I’d love to see what you come up with Chrysoula.

The best part was indeed the affair with your enemy. Wish there had been a way to stay with them because they seemed the most true of your suitors.

I wish there was too. I wish that they’d actually taken the time when they added that romance to also wrap up up properly. A scene at the end acknowledging that the two of you had been lovers would have been nice. It is still one of my favourite romances in a choice game though. I suppose I just have a thing for rivals finding some common ground.

For me it has to be the forbidden aspect of it all. The danger of being caught with someone you’re definitely not supposed to be with. Ah regulations… damn them to high hell.

One day I might actually put some content into the dating sim I made, but for now I’d love to see more being worked on in ChoiceScript.

I believe @CammyCamero is writing an office-themed romance game:

Haven’t seen many other than that started, though.

@CS_Closet I’m just waiting for her to implement a male main character, even if it takes a while :stuck_out_tongue:

Rather than create a new thread without a demo, I was wanting to ask-

What kind of things would people like to see in a dating/romance game? I’ve decided that, yes, I am going to work on one and post it. It’ll be a bit because I want the first part fleshed out to where you can meet all the characters.

I had a thread asking about romantic options. www.choiceofgames.com/forum/discussion/1355/romantic-options which I’m only mentioning since it might make an interesting read for working out what people want in romances.

I want same-sex relationships. I prefer fantasy elements in any game I play, so I’d rather urban fantasy, or superheroes, or sci-fi, or fantasy, something with an unusual setting as opposed to just a normal, modern dating game.

@FairyGodfeather

Thanks for the link!

And, whelp, I got the same-sex relationships, at least… I’m gonna keep it realistic but to be honest you’ve got me thinking about something solely supernatural down the road, but you mentioned something about it and I feel like I’d be stealing your idea, so… yeah.

Generally if I mention something in a thread, that isn’t a project I’m specifically working on (as in not Scales&Tales, Julia Caesar or PSI: Psychic Student Investigates) the ideas are free for the grabbing. So please, please, steal away. :slight_smile:

Well thanks!

Honestly, both @Babisko and @chrysoula’s ideas sound wonderful!

I have a bit of an otome game concept on the backburner myself, but I’m not sure if I want to make it in choicescript or just have it end up being a sort of choose your own adventure thing on tumblr or something. I’ve got a ton of backstory written down and some plot frameworks, but I’ve never worked with the choicescript before.

I need to do some research into that.

As for what I like to see in romance games:

Interesting characters - Whether it’s personality quirks or mannerisms, I like it when there is enough to differentiate the love interests that you can clearly pick them all out to some degree, and that you feel like you get a different experience from each one, no matter how much or how little your relationship actually effects the overall plot.

Witty Dialogue - I am a huge fan of Joss Whedon and Bioware’s writing for this reason. I love wit, I love snark, I love engaging dialogue. I also love cheesy lines, but only if they’re handled well.

Go Bioware! You’ve got to love their party banter. It’s because of them I’ve found the phrase “verbal sparring”, which I engage in from time to time.