A Sherlock Holmes Game

@Micah88

CoG wouldn’t publish the game but you still can use Choicescript to write a Sherlock Holmes game as long as you don’t charge for it and request permission from the owner.

I like the idea of a Herlock Sholmes parody story, as well as a Pride and Prejudice dating sim (which could be a lot of work, seeing as it has five eligible bachelors and ten eligible bachelorettes). I’ll return to the drawing board and come back if/when I make another demo. Again, thanks for all the help, everyone!

@ lost_gamer Now you’re talking (although I prefer parodies that aren’t too broad…)

The adventures of Hemlock Holmes alongside his elementary companion Dr Wilson as they battle the nefarious schemes of the evil Professor Murray Harty…

(Moriarty needs work!)

I know this is an old thread, and the poster hasn’t been on the forums for months, however there’s just been an update on the status of Sherlock Holmes.

A US Judge just declared that Sherlock Holmes is in the public domain. http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/27/sherlock-holmes-is-in-the-public-domain-american-judge-rules/?_r=0

Excellent! Next step: finally clawing Mickey Mouse out of Disney’s avaricious grasp.

Whoa, does this mean I can resume work on the game demo with hopes of publication? That’s fantastic! Because I actually took the advice given here, and started work on a Sherlock Holmes parody (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9763351/1/The-Misadventures-of-Herlock-Sholmes). It wasn’t as much fun as I expected, so I dropped the project.

I also took the advice of making a Pride and Prejudice game, but since I’m only about 10% done with the demo, I won’t be writing about it here anytime soon.

I’d think so. If in doubt shoot Choice of Games an email though to check.

I read some of that Herlock Sholmes story. You’re an amusing writer. I know sometimes a joke runs thin and gets tiresome though so I understand you dropping it. I’m sure it was more fun to read than to write. If you did want to do a Sherlock Holmes parody game though, I think it could be very amusing. Sherlock Holmes seems quite big just now with the movies, Sherlock, and Elementary all providing their own interpretations.

I think there’s definitely room for an interactive fiction game. But for me the draw would be playing a long-suffering ‘Watson’ (be that Joan or John or someone else entirely) who’s forced to manage the eccentric Holmes and his crazy deductions. I guess it’d be a bit like Inspector Gadget.