A game on a fictional world or existent world?

I am currently working on a game that is basically a Medieval King Simulator.One of the decisions I am trying to make is if the story will be on a fictional world,with it’s own countries,religions,beliefs,etc,Or on our existent world,with the countries from medieval age,the predominant catholicism and real people from that times.Both of them would take a lot of time,and I need to know if it would be worth it,as I would be spending many months writing the story.The main plot is that you ascended to the throne on a young age,after your parents were misteriously killed.Other part that I am still working on,is the conquering path,because it doesn’t seem to have any game here with that choice.I want to see if enough people would like to play this game! HELP ME

Just FYI? Some of these stories literally takes years to finish writing, so don’t feel too intimidated by the amount of time you think you’ll spend on writing it.

To get a survey of who’d be interested in your game, I’d post your summary - and maybe even a demo? - in the interest check thread.

2 Likes

I would say a fictional world. That gets the people intrigued.
Are you going to do a public beta for the game, if you are I would love to help and I would give good feedback.

2 Likes

I know some stories take years to finish.I am a bit of a procrastinator,so it should take a reeaally long time to finish.The story is in inicial stages,with just some main ideas.

I plan to make a Beta,but i still have a lot to create in this story,even on the Beta.

I also forgot to ask if it would be interesting to start the story with the character already on the throne or begin in childhood.And how do you want the genders,sexual-orientation to be.

1 Like

I think you should start with the background of the world/kingdoms (if fictional), maybe even the relations between the kingdoms. You should also start from childhood as it would be confusing if the character starts directly on the throne. You should be able to be a man/women with RO’s.

2 Likes

I also have a recommendations, make it so that you actually feel like a long: seeing subjects, taking care of problem such as bandits or land dispute, spies, flings, etc.

1 Like

This was what I wrote on the Interest Check Thread a time ago when it was on very early phase:

Does this interest you?
The story is about you being the ruler of a kingdom and having to deal with rebellions,hold court,discover secrets;manage your land(something like The War for The West).Maybe we can start at childhood and go through your life.I though about you having to succeed at the throne on a young age(while having to discover the secret about your parents death)and having to prove that you are worth it.You can be a tyrannical ruler and try to keep you in the throne or be a good one.I was thinking about conquering lands too,through battle,claiming other kingdoms for yourself,etc.This is still just an idea and I am seeing if people have interest in this.What about adding something supernatural,like dragons,maybe wolfs?(I definitely took inspiration on Game of Thrones in this part).

I might change some parts of it to make it work.

2 Likes

I think that’s great, you could also add the part where you marry foreign kingdoms prince/princess and you can gain their kingdom if they are the only child. The people would love it, the people love the kingdom games and there aren’t many that go into a lot of depth, (except war for the wear, and it was a huge success). I can wait for the game to come out for beta test, count me in!

2 Likes

Thank god someone got interested!:joy:

1 Like

The thing I always think of with real world vs fantasy world is what matters more to you - having pretty much all the world building set up for you already and not having to decide about the ins and outs of stuff because you can access that information easily, or how important inclusiveness is to your project. The latter is usually what leads people away from realistic real world stuff if it’s set in history because history is, sadly, not something which would have been the same for all concerned. So we usually see either alternate history or high fantasy as the go tos here.

1 Like

I’m thinking of going with the fantasy one,because if it is going to be historical,I would want to research a lot to be historically accurate

Like I said it’s your comfort with researching historical stuff vs researching it anyway as inspiration for your fantasy world (for example the War of the Roses being a major inspiration for Game of Thrones five family conflicts). But ultimately you should write what you want! :grin:

1 Like

This was another one that i wrote about the conquering path:
I love those kind of games!About the conquesting part I was thinking that after you have conquested that land(either by murder,claim,battles or marriage-imagine if you kill your partner just to take their lands to yourself),you would have choice of what to do with it and how to manage it(maybe the people of that land don’t trust a conqueror,and you will have to deal with treasons,rebellions,people trying to murder you,etc)or if you want to attach it to your current kingdom,perhaps you want to make the commoners suffer if you’re that kind of person.Do you have any suggestions?

I’m gonna just post what I had posted a while ago because it’s more easy than having to found what I wrote in that sea of posts.

I like the plot

How long do you think you will have a small demo out by?

Yeah I know,I write really long posts.Sorry!

I am still working with the history of the main kingdom,although it is based on European kingdoms,I plan to make it’s own culture,with traditions,maybe some rivalries between people of your own land that dates back to a long time ago.About the other ones,I want them to have their own histories too;I was thinking something like this:
-Maybe 1 or 2 kingdoms will have more of a European background,they will not be so different about the main one.They will have a long history together,with alliances and battling side by side(or you can break these alliances and lead into war,wouldn’t be well received tho).
-Some are going to be what we would call barbarians(Vikings??)not completely,but similar.These will be hard to defeat because we don’t know much about them(but you can learn more depending on choices you’ve made).
-I’ve been thinking that since it will have the option to be a conqueror,it could have unknown kingdoms(I’ve just watched an episode of vikings,lots of inspiration from it too)
I don’t know if it would be interesting to begin the story in childhood,if so you could trace your personality by being a diplomatic one,a warrior,learning your history and the others,overhearing conversations that might change the story(something about the death of your parents).I want the characters to be more realistic,with backgrounds,weaknesses,but I think that a large story would be too boring for reading,plus I’m not that good with writing,as it’s my first story too.

1 Like

Maybe if I’m lucky,in 1-2 months,I hope.

The word-limit doesn’t actually matter that much(it might do for some readers)
What really matters is the story
If the story is good,even a 20,000-10,000 word book can become a memorable one
However,if the story is bad,then even a 1,000,000 word story wouldn’t make it up into the top
What I’m trying to say:You give it the best you have,take your time and make the story the way you like it
Cause a good story is only good when you are sure to give it your best

1 Like