A desired CS feature (i/o hard saving)

To whom it may concern;

Would it be in theory possible to code an input/output feature into Choicescript to preserve both a current set of variables and a location by line in a CS game? Output this into a separate file, and then inport it again into CS, bringing up the preserved state of a story? This would provide a method for hard saving a game that many authors seek in the WIP stage to benefit the readers. I do understand that it would not translate into a new build of a game should an author change the variables within their game or the state those variables might be at by route of choices taken, but it -would- allow within one build of a game, a player to not lose information by closing their browser or turning off their computer, resulting in potentially more thorough playtesting, especially in late-stages of game development. Would this be a feature that CS could support being written in? If not, could anyone offer a brief explanation why this idea is not viable? I’m not a coder, just a hopeful author working with CS that has recently brainstormed ideas with a coder-in-training on how a hard save could be implemented in CS. Also, if the placement of this post is in the wrong spot, please move it to the appropriate location - I’m not sure where to actually reach the CS programmers with said request. Thank you.

1 Like

This would also allow better utilization of goto_scene commands within chapters. The simple fact that any *temp variables (and their current values) created in the current scene file will be lost from memory the instant that a new scene file is loaded using the *goto_scene command limits this otherwise very powerful command…

@Zolataya Something I’m not entirely certain on, not being a coder…

But isn’t a temp variable simply a regular variable with a temporary state of being? Essentially a variable with its own variable? If you simply tack on that temporary state as being a variable of the variable, which causes it to act a certain way within the program, then you could also convert that temporary state to an external file with all the other variables and locational data. I personally don’t use *temp variables, though what I’m essentially talking about is allowing CS to create a downloadable save file which can be loaded/uploaded/run to bring up a game with the same variable state and point within the story it was at when that file was downloaded.

I understand what your intended purpose is. I just want:[quote=“Shawn_Patrick_Reed, post:1, topic:15308”]
an input/output feature into Choicescript to preserve both a current set of variables and a location by line in a CS game? Output this into a separate file, and then inport it again into CS, bringing up the preserved state of a story?
[/quote] for use with the goto command so that it keeps variables like choices made known from one scene to another.

I’m not a programmer either; just seemed a logical extension to me.

1 Like