Writing good characters with marginalized identities

I think representation is extremely important. Also I do admire that people are trying to include marginalized characters in their work. Even if there are stumbles and mis-steps their intentions are generally good. I see it as a work in progress, things are going to get better, or so I hope.

When I wrote my game with my bisexual protagonist, and her transgender best friend I made a point of running the game past a bunch of other LGBTQ people to ensure that it didn’t come across as offensive. I also asked one of my female friends specifically to look it over, because I was worried it might be sexist.

Even though I do identify as queer, I’m just one person, I might make mistakes, and I really value other people’s input.

I think that’s the best way. Do your research certainly, and don’t be afraid to include GBLTQ characters. But also make sure you’ve got other people to read over your work, and correct you if need be. And if someone says something is offensive, and explains why, it might be time to do a rewrite.

Listen to those others, ask for their input, and consider their advice, particularly if they’re speaking about an area they have more experience of.

And if you do make a mistake, apologise and learn from it.

Also from a couple of years ago. Transgender Characters In Choice Games

7 Likes