What makes you feel like a man/woman/nb?

My son makes me feel a woman:joy:

3 Likes

Nope youā€™re not Iā€™m a cis gay male and I do like pink, preferably pink silk paired with black leather. I donā€™t think color preferences , hobbies or even kinks make us into aberrations. I generally seem to like traditionally feminine and masculine things and activities equally. I like menā€™s fashion (but not so much womenā€™s unlike some other gay guys), cool cars, motorcycles and helicopters but one of my other hobbies is knitting, something apparently regarded as not only feminine but something primarily for older women and thus very uncool.

Itā€™s 10% biology and 90% culture, at least thatā€™s what one of my old teachers always used to say. So culture really is the dominant factor in most things concerning male, female and other gender roles and perceptions.

For example even in our world the Koreans and Japanese seem to like their male superstars a bit younger and cuter than our grizzled late 30ā€™s to early 40ā€™s ā€œidealā€ male stereotype. That preference is a purely cultural thing.

5 Likes

With the Psychiatrist expert in dysphoria, I advanced in understanding of how the close mind nuns and bullies had tailored in myself anxiety and hatred against dresses, and traditional feminine roles I was tried to be forced into.

To a point of I will never know if without that traumatic experience I will still have the same feelings I have now.

4 Likes

As a trans woman this took some time to think about. Honestly a big part comes down to how I felt feminine inside; despite being well-built and masculine in every way I never FELT that way. Femininity doesnā€™t equate to female, but itā€™s an important part of MY gender identity. Itā€™s obviously going to be different for everyone. Above that I just look at myself and think, ā€œIā€™m a woman.ā€ Sometimes it can be as simple as that there is no reason, you just feel that way in such a matter that Iā€™m not sure cis people quite understand or experience.

9 Likes

Hmm, this is a deceptively simple question. I was relatively free of gender roles or being forced to be a certain way because of them as a young child, since it was before I went into public school and I lived relatively isolated (with only some family members). My parents always believed that children should be able to dress how they wanted play, play with the toys they wanted. I didnā€™t really feel the need to conform to anything - I just felt like me, (I didnā€™t have a word for it at the time) a demiboy. Later in life I tried to be more like others wanted me to be to fit in, trying to project a feminine presentation that didnā€™t really reflect me internally to please others. Once I began to be more myself, I began to present more masculine, but it always sort of an internal thing, I guess, even I didnā€™t always realize it or know how to describe it. So long story short, I suppose I agree with @Confuzed, that itā€™s sort an internal thing; you just are.

4 Likes

I feel like a man because I am fine with being identified as one ( granted if I was called a woman and treated as one Iā€™m not entirely sure Iā€™d mind)? Iā€™ll be honest the parts were not something that was a issue. their are times I would have liked to have lived as a female but then I thought about it more and it was a uncanny valley in my mind I couldnā€™t see exactly what was off it just didnā€™t fell 100% me maybe 99% but not fully. There was no obvious thing for me that makes me feel like a man if I ignore society views. Do I like my body? heck no but am I comfortable in my body? Slightly more than I feel I would be as a woman. But Iā€™m a individual and everyone else is different and the same I mean we were all born on earth right?
There is no material thing that rightly defines sex to me other than the body or what they tell me personally, as such all I can say is the mark one eyeball if nothing else tells me otherwise like a person politely correcting me.
In the end the question is very difficult to answer without just saying because I do, I donā€™t know, or itā€™s how I feel, I canā€™t say I was born to be a man because well I havenā€™t experience life in any form other than this and my mental side says meh. Maybe believing I was male so long is why I Donā€™t entirely feel 100 percent in my mind to be a woman. Granted Iā€™m not really sure my own sexual orientation either so eh maybe Iā€™m not entirely the best to have a good answer to this question.
Iā€™ll just go with for a short answer ā€œuhh the stars aligned at the right moment to formulate my feelings on my genderā€

5 Likes

I actually primarily identify as a straight femaleā€¦buuuuuuuuutā€¦ Anything is game depending on the writing. If I feel inspiredā€¦ I depart. Simple as that. A character has to appeal to me tho. I have found this fluidity quite interesting for myselfā€¦ sometimes you really donā€™t know until/ unless you explore. :kissing_heart::upside_down_face: why notā€¦

Some sake makes this conversation even more interesting tonight. :smirk::sake:

2 Likes

Iā€™m agender, I donā€™t feel either male or female.
I guess I always knew? I never felt like a female (regardless of genitalia) or male, I was just me? Iā€™m sorry for this poor explanation but there was never a moment when I suddenly realized or where I had doubts, it was just what it was.

Is more of the type of person I am than anything else.

4 Likes

As I see it gender has as much relevance as a fart in infinity. Iā€™m a woman, I was born with ladyparts and Iā€™m used to being referred to as a she or her.

But does that say anything about me as a person? Does it say anything about my character? About my interests, dreams, aspirations? What Iā€™m good at, what Iā€™m bad at, what I like and donā€™t like to do? Of course it doesnā€™t! And if you think otherwise, whatever you think, you are mistaken.

When you think of the concept of ā€œwomanā€ you problably think of the culturally fostered image of a woman: a person with a curvy body and long hair who is nurturing in nature and shies away from violence. Fine. Whatever. Yet that is just that, a culturally fostered image. A persons self, a person REAL self, when you strip away all the layers of culture, nurture, tradition and self image, is always, in all cases, entirely and utterly genderless.

As much as I support trans rights with all my heart, in my perfect world, gender has no bearing on anything at all, and so there is no need for dysphoria. Idealistic? Yes. But without idealism we are lost.

I am a woman because I was born with an uterus. Had I been born with a dick, I would just as well been fine with that. My body is not me. It doesnā€™t define me, itā€™s just a vessel with which I experience this hellhole we call physical reality. In my dreams, Iā€™m a woman just as often as I am a man, and that doesnā€™t change anything for me. Iā€™m me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes