There’s no need to be unhappy

Dead man, there’s a place without strife
I said, dead man, when you’re all out of life
You can stay there, and I’m sure you will find
Many brains on which to dine

It’s fun to stay at the YMZA
It’s fun to stay at the YMZA

11 Likes

I want bad mc without redemption. Can I just be bad guy? I sometimes want to be cruel. But no some story forced me to be good guy. I would kill everybody if I could

9 Likes

There’s a CoG where you play as a villain and can totally just be a horrible person the whole way through if you play your cards right.

Unfortunately, I played my cards wrong, so one of my henchmen had a change of heart, turned on me and killed me right at the story’s climax. Not cool, bro, I paid you to not do that.

Ha! I kid, I never paid my henchmen. They served me on pain of death.

9 Likes

Only ones I can think of are Choice of the Dragon and Diabolical. Is it one of those?

2 Likes

NOLA Is Burning is about a mob enforcer, and although you can choose to play as remorseful and eager to get out of that life, you can also really, really love your job. And I don’t actually think it’s possible to get through the end of the game without a scene or two where you pretty much slaughter everyone in sight.

1 Like

It was Diabolical, yeah. I had forgotten the name of it, so thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

I love that one. Admittedly the large number of casualties at the end also qualifies as an example for the thread, but well, you can revive some of them.

2 Likes

Thanks! I will check them out.

I don’t know if it’s a trope but I don’t like it when COGs just immediately ask for my name without context or background info. It’s awkward. It’s like “umm… you want my name? As in me, the player? A little too forward don’t you think?”

3 Likes

Conversely, if things take too long, it gets a bit irritating, but for a different reason. For some reason, there’s no option to save and load in these games and I’ve heard that may have been a deliberate decision. The theory is that it makes the game’s consequences feel more permanent but in practice it means starting over a lot. It’s a dumb idea.

This means I have to name my character over and over again and I’d rather get that done first so I don’t accidently pick a random preset when I’m trying to get back to the one mistake I made further in.

11 Likes

Guess I will mostly repeat what I said on another topic with some additions.

Fanservice, especially the stupid joke kind of like walking into someone in the bathroom or someone who is undressing or falling into someone’s crotch or into a women’s chest. I have a BIT more tolerance for it in a comedy show but I have no patience for it in a game or show that’s trying to be serious it’s like hearing the same shit joke for the 800th time. Rape being used as cheap shock horror is a big no for me even worse if it’s being used for comedy. Very abusive ro’s Jun/Junko for example, most but not all tsundere in anime(I mean the ones who beat the crap of the people they defiantly do not like and it’s one-sided). The main character is forced to be an idiot for the story to continue unless it’s very funny like in Neuro or The Mystery of the Druids. Burying your gays. Stories that are stupidity edgy for example ATOM, Stygian, Hatred(At the very least I found some parts of Postal 2 funny and well you could just not kill anyone), Danganronpa(A bunch of parts in 2 and 3 I found to be very yuck). Annoying and uninteresting companions/“friends” that you can’t get rid off or not interact with.

8 Likes

As an Anime fan, can relate with the fanservice bit. A COG example would be in Starship Captain where one of the races is just randomly nudist. It was really out of place.

5 Likes

I’m not a big fan of most blatant fanservice, but this one didn’t really bother me. They’ve got color changing skin that’s part of how they communicate so they really only ever wore clothes for the benefit of outsiders, and it doesn’t really come up until you visit one of their planets where you’re seeing them at home. And then it’s played as more awkward than titillating, from what I remember.

10 Likes

Honestly, I have trouble telling which is which. Being sex repulsed means most nudity is awkward anyway. I knew the characters felt awkward, but characters feel uncomfortable with fanservice the audience is supposed to like fairly often. You could still be right though.

3 Likes

Oh. I did not realize that. I have always interpreted MC feeling uncomfortable as meaning “perhaps this game isn’t for you if this doesn’t make you feel uncomfortable, because you will have trouble identifying with the MC.”

Though apparently some authors don’t actually expect the reader to identify with the MC, which is also very weird to me.

3 Likes

Yeah like, in anime fanservice gags usually make the characters pretty uncomfortable. Panicking, covering eyes, etc. It’s supposed to be funny and sexy, but it’s really just cringe inducing.

8 Likes

I mean, it makes more sense in anime because the viewer isn’t any of the characters.

The thing that’s strange to me is when authors go “Hey this is a very NSFW sex game! Also the character you’re playing hates sex”

3 Likes

Holy shit, someone else who knows about Neuro!

I learned about that game courtesy of Tehsnakerer on YouTube, since hunting down and playing janky games is his whole gig (and Yakuza, but that’s another matter entirely).

But as to the fanservice point, I personally don’t like it when it’s used as a very obvious nudge to get you to engage in romance in some games. For example, in The Last Wizard, if you flag yourself as attracted to one gender or another, the story immediately starts going out of its way to mention how sexy the ROs who fit that description are, how tight their clothes are, how prominent this particular aspect of their anatomy is, and it’s honestly pretty annoying. And in several WIPs I’ve read, it seems like the narration us all but itching for an excuse to talk about how sexually attractive someone is according to your character, who probably hadn’t been bothered taking notice until right just at that moment - in Defiled Hearts, you at one point have to hide behind a curtain with an RO, and no matter who it is, there’s going to be at least one, maybe two options (out of, like, five) where your character can’t help but notice how messed up against them the RO is, and gosh, is it suddenly super warm in here?

I don’t care how sexy you try and make him, I still intend to kill Marcus. Oh, and uh, maybe when we’ve both broken into the Legate’s room and are at immediate risk of death if we get caught is NOT THE TIME FOR THIS? Just a thought.

2 Likes

I remember reading something at 13 and thinking I was past my prime because the main character was 12… was living abroad with her boyfriend and had saved the world with magical girl powers… So… Yeah the super young hero troupe is weird to me. I barely had the facilities to properly tie my shoes at 12.

9 Likes

I hear a lot about people disliking shows with child protagonists, especially as they grow older. It’s funny because I actually quite like stories with young protagonists. Even like to write characters like that. Mind you, I was in highschool until 2018 and tend to stay interested in media for a long time so maybe it’s just that my favorite shows were made for younger me. Still, I guess someone has to write the kid’s shows.

What actually bugs me is all the bleak deconstructions you see popping up so often. Like, speaking of magical girls, there’s deconstructions coming out the wazoo for that, or there was for a while. Everyone wants to be the next Madoka Magica. I think it’s time to give it a rest. I feel like a ton of them don’t even know what they’re trying to say aside from “look! It’s dark now! Give me money!” A lot of them do shit like have the magic cost years off of your life or some shit (that was a show, I forget the name). That fails as a deconstruction completely because well, magic can do whatever you want.

Mecha shows do it too. Not every show needs to be Evangelion. That’s the only one that did the deconstruction right. Maybe I don’t WANT to have every show be a deconstruction of common childhood family. I feel like a lot of the authors have never heard of suspension of disbelief. A few deconstructions are perfectly fine, some are great, but overexposure is a bitch. I feel like I’m in the 90s.

6 Likes