[Tool] - Online Choicescript Tester

@CJW
This is amazing! Thank you for creating it! It’s a lot easier than having to copy my game folder, edit it, test it, then copy and paste the changes in to the actual game folder!

Always glad to hear thing’s are helping people, thanks guys :slight_smile:
As always, please do let me know if you think of any way in which I could improve it!

This makes testing so much easier. Thank you.
Could I ask something? goto doesn’t work, but gosub does in this tester, right?

*goto will work as long as the referred label is there.

Well i havent a pc could i use it? also what is the main difference with the quicktext.html ?

@Mystjerne
Glad you like it!
But *goto should work just fine, all the commands should… :o

@MaraJade Sadly that’s one thing that I’m still struggling with, even if I could format it for phones, I tend to find they struggle/lag running anything above a small amount of JavaScript.

It’s not really anything like quicktest.html, you just copy and paste code into it and it runs it like a game. It just saves you having to download copies of the language to test small snips of code.

Looks like it supports global vars now? (Perhaps update the first post, cuz I almost didn’t check this out cuz of this.) It seems we can use this for whole scenes now, not just snippets? That’s cool!

Found a bug: If I’m using it for one scene, then paste in a whole new scene. “Run” still runs the old one, and I had to reload the page to get it to run the new.

Suggestions:

1. Use graphvis to make a visual flowchart, possibly with the values of select variables on each node, tracking how they change over different branches. Clicking on a node jumps to that place in the code.

2. Keep track of loose ends in a list and let the user jump to any of them.

3. I second the suggestion to highlight the code.

I made some PHP that you might be able to modify to speed production of the above two suggestions. Let me know if you want it.

A few more things:

1. Hitting the tab key doesn’t put in a tab
  2. I tried to go to the settings a second time, but hitting the button didn’t do anything. If I hit “Raw” and then “Settings,” then I could go to settings.

Hi @Flurrywinde11, thank you for your feedback.
First of all you seem to be getting two related, but very different tools mixed up.
This is the thread for my old tester (which supported nothing but running the odd snippet): http://gyazo.com/00dd048fa3293158fef4c3b5121efd83.png

What you’re describing above however, sounds very much like the IDE:

Which has a separate thread located here.

As for your issues and suggestions:

1. The IDE already features a syntax highlighter: http://gyazo.com/1526390a9feb0f16fcf5ee8da2854b24.png

2. The loose end and visual representation I have actually discussed before, and came to the conclusion that it’d be a lot of work for very little gain. Most people will quite happily ‘map out’ their game themselves when designing it. I’m not saying it’ll never happen, but I’ve got other a whole host of other things I want to implement into the IDE first. The IDE is also hosted on Dropbox, it doesn’t have a backend because of that. I have no current intention of moving it to its own server, so PHP code is no use to me at present, but thank you for the offer.

3. I can’t replicate any of your bugs related to the settings panel, tab key or running scenes.
    What browser are you using? It should work in all the latest (popular) desktop web browsers, but I test it most regularly in Firefox and Chrome.
    For the tab key, make sure your ‘Tab Type’ is set to tabs on the settings panel, else you’ll get a number of space characters, not an actual \t (tab) character.

So weird: I thought I got to the IDE through the link in this thread. My bad!

I’ll continue this discussion in the proper thread.