Thoughts on the term 'Latinx'?

I have Latino American family even if I am Hispanic aka from Spain. And none like the term Latinx.

I think we seriously have to come together Spanish language speakers and create a new genderless language to include nb and other umbrella situations.

We changed letters over the time and rules I think is time to try to make return to the neutral gere from Latin.

Our government that is pro-Lgtbq+ is making campaigns for use of -e and @ as neutral. But we have to start to use them in real life even if people complaining about it.

7 Likes

Water is feminine, though.

1 Like

Pretty sure it isn’t, but my Spanish is kinda dusty. I am certain it is el agua not la agua.

El agua but is true that uses feminine. El agua esta fria not frio. It is a feminine word but uses el becausa la agua sounds bad in spanish as it is two letter a is same that you say in English an apple

8 Likes

The rule is that a feminine noun in Spanish that begins with the letter A and is stressed on the first syllable uses “el” instead of “la,” for the same reason that we say “an apple” in English instead of “a apple.”

Of course, your original point is still valid, and your confusion just underscores how arbitrary grammatical gender can be.

Edited to add: I posted my comment before I saw that Mara had added more detail to hers. Apologies for the repetition.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing it out!

And if I remember correctly, putting gender to words has always been linked to the type of letter in which it ends up saying it, even “palo” stick in Spanish is considered a masculine word because it ends in O as well as “pala” (shovel in Spanish) is a feminine word for end in A and so it works with most names.

Let us also not forget that when classifying gender to names or trades they have also been to refer rather to the biological sex of the individual and not to their “gender” identity or their gender expression, etc. That is why, despite everything, I feel that it is legitimate to say her to a non-binary person of the female sex since the pronoun always describes that and not her gender identity. In addition, I heard the issue of non-binary language from the United States as well as the inclusive language I heard from Argentina and that is hardly known in Mexico. I can accept it in writing as well as write @ but to speak it I find it unfeasible

4 Likes

I don’t like it and have never heard someone who’s Hispanic use it, in fact when they hear it they question what the hell they just heard.

7 Likes

Here all Latino Y know and we Hispanic use or Hispane Latine or Hispan@ Latin@ our government recommended say -e and writing Latin@ or Hispan@.

Mostly the problem there is a lot of people cys men and Catholics, against the usage. Because using anything not patriarchal is being for them as an attack

3 Likes

I’ve never heard hispane before, did it originate in the us? All my life people used Latino when addressing a group of Hispanics. I for example have been called Latino all my life, same as friends and family. I feel like latinx was created by people on the internet who aren’t Hispanic to begin with.

9 Likes

Here you have an accurate explanation. Both are valid, only one is more used for Latine American descendants in USA and another is more used in Spanish.

1 Like

Just to clarify, my answer is going to be based only on Filipino language/dialect as was asked by the original poster in regards to our opinions on “what do you think of the terms Latinx/Filipinx?” as opposed to giving an opinion to Latinx.

That is correct and that is also wrong in regards to Filipino language/dialect. Why? Because the Filipino language/dialect is a descend from a common Malayo-Polynesian language due to the Austronesian migration from Taiwan; however, there are languages brought by the Negritos. Also, the Filipino language/dialect is influenced by the Spaniards because they colonized/enslaved the Filipinos for 333 years and calling natives indios. The Filipinos were not even Filipinos at that time as “Indio” is a term used in the16th -to-19th-century Spaniards to refer to the poor people of our country who could be slaves and peasants only. The name “Filipinos” could be given only to the “creoles,” the Españoles-Filipinos. Filipino nationalism grew originally amongst the “ilustrados”, “principales” and “creoles”. Now, since the native Filipinos called indios are considered slaves and peasants, the Spaniards never considered teaching them proper usage of the Spanish language. The Filipinos just adapted the language because they needed to understand their masters. This in tern influenced the foundation of the Filipino language/dialect. We should also take into consideration that the Spaniards did not want the Filipino/Indios at that time to establish any communication which is why the Filipino language/dialect has 120 to 187 languages because the Philippine country is composed of so many islands that it is easy to isolate people.

How easy was it to separate the people? Well, in 2005 it was a big news when 2 Japanese WWII soldiers were discovered hiding in southern Philippines (Mindanao) The soldiers still think the WWII was still happening. The Philippines immediately contacted Japan, now the two soldiers were only discovered because a Japanese person who was in the area searching for the remains of World War II soldiers as part of historical backtracking or whatnot. I think it was reported one of the men at the age of 91 died the year 2014.

Now, considering this as an example. Can you just picture how the Spaniards was able to make such an influence to the Filipino/Indios at that time? So, yeah the Filipino language/dialect is a rather simple and complex language in itself.

Going back to your statement, “And if I remember correctly, putting gender to words has always been linked to the type of letter in which it ends up saying it” I answered yes and no. Because it largely depends on the Filipino language/dialect you’re referring to as each Filipino language/dialect has its own set of rules when it comes to written and spoken language. And considering the Filipino language is 120 to 187 languages/dialects…Ah! the head aches… So, yeah. The short answer is yes and no.

I’m sorry but i have to disagree with your statement here. I don’t want to elaborate on this because I will admit this is like opening a can of worms for me. So, yeah. I respectfully disagree with your statement and I’m sorry.

I never considered that, but in a Filipino language/dialect since we have some established words and terms accepted by the NB community. I have not really encountered issues, on my end. Be it written or spoken. When I stated on my post…

I was actually referring to people who have some difficulty wrapping their minds about the possibility of using NB terms and I personally don’t want them to feel bad because I know some are trying, some just does not really get it, some just try and fail. That is why I stated “proprieties sake” as to follow the conventionally accepted standards of behavior or morals when addressing a person. (Note: I hope I’m making this clear if not…ah…I can’t elaborate more.)

I also remember in the Filipino language/dialect we have a number of Spanish-influenced creole varieties generally called Chavacano spoken in Zamboanga City, located in the southern Philippine island group of Mindanao. If my memory is correct the word Chabacano is derived from Spanish meaningpoor taste” or “vulgar” do correct me if I am wrong, though the term itself carries no negative connotations to contemporary speakers from the Philippines the original Spanish meaning is lost. There was also another Spanish-influenced creole language used by the FIlipinos it was Ermiteño (Ermitense) however it is now Extinct. I’m more familiar with Chabacano de Cavite which is Chavacano but a Chavacano used in Cavite. But I am confident in butchering it as I have rarely used the language/dialect.

In English translation:
Bunguiao, a small village, thirty four kilometers from the city of Zamboanga, was once a wilderness.

In Chabacano de Cavite translation:
Treinta y cuatro kilometro desde el pueblo de Zamboanga el Bunguiao, un diutay barrio que estaba un desierto.

In Tagalog translation:
Ang Bunguiao ay isang maliit na syodad na tatlumpu’t apat na kilometro ang layo sa Zamboanga, ito ay dating gubat.

By just looking at the example I know a Spanish speaker is not going to understand what I wrote or think its wrong, but in reality that is how the Filipino language/dialect adapted the Spanish-influenced creole. Now, think about the other 120 to 187 languages more being used in the Philippines. How different we use the language even if we use the same term Filipino language. So, basically it is not just adding a letter to a word to accommodate the Filipinx because the Filipino language is so large that it definitely needs to address more than on language and it needs to be a language that the whole community can accept.

Good Lordy, my post is long…but I just wanted to impart some reasons why just adding letters or changing letters isn’t going to fly with the Filipino language as a whole because in root, there is more to the language. We also have a governing body tasked in preserving, and promoting the various local Philippine languages which is called Komisyon sa Wikang Filipino ( KWF ). The goal is to prevent the extinction of the Filipino language as I have mentioned above the Ermiteño (Ermitense) is now an Extinct Filipino language/dialect. Yes, change is inevitable, there is no way to stop that, it is needed to progress, but it should be done without erasing the fundamental core of its origin. The introduction of Filipinx ignored it and assumed the role of just like what everyone is saying adding or changing a letter to a word but aptly ignoring the indigenous Filipino speakers thus creating the whole drama.

8 Likes