“ReferenceError: stats is not defined”

How do I do all the different files??

How do you mean?

@Blazing_Shadows, have you read through the Choice of the Dragon files I linked you to the other day? Have you read the beginner links? I wonder whether those resources will help you as you work through your game.

4 Likes

It already exist in the scene file look for it…

bi

and then just copy and paste all that in there once you find it and delete that code from startup file

*stat_chart
   opposed_pair Passion
     Peacefulness
   opposed_pair Dominance
     Submission
   opposed_pair Agility
     Brute Strength
   opposed_pair Vigilance
     Confidence
   opposed_pair Loner
     Teammate
    opposed_pair Booksmart
     Streetsmart

Like, everyone always tells me “you gotta have a startup file, a choice script file, a stats file” and yadda yadda but they never explain it.
Yes, I did read the script and the links and they helped me some.
I do not have a scene file.

are you saying you don’t have all the below???

1 Like

If you look at my scene_list and then look to the left? See how all the scenes in the scene_list have a corresponding scene.txt file? So for every “chapter” you have that you want the players to play through, that counts as a scene and needs to be listed in chronological order below your *scene_list command.

1 Like

Nope. I do not have any of those files. Am I supposed to??

Did you download ChoiceScript?

EDIT for clarification: The file folder from the website, I mean.

1 Like

The error you are getting is because you put a code that is supposed to go in choisescript file… as I said, copy it paste it in choicescript file and delete it from startup file…it is the code that start with *stat_chart.

I tried to download Choicescript, but I don’t think it worked.

Well you are going to have to download the folder before anything else.

EDIT: The download link is here under “Trying it out”, just in case you can’t remember where to find it.

2 Likes

Go to the forum and download it then just copy and paste your codes…Open the web folder and you will see all the things you need

1 Like

So one questions??? what are you using to create your game and testing and getting errors? is it an old folder???

Yes, that is what I did. I have the zip file but I can’t unzip it.
I’m operating on a chromebook

This might help you.

3 Likes

Yes?

Obviously not my exact files.

So if I look at your *scene_list you have originstory, test, reveal, and personality. To the left, you’d have each separate scene file with the corresponding label.

I did a quick recreation of what your files should look like. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Just a note… If you have a scene file, you do not use the *label command to direct your code to go to said scene. The *label command is “underneath” the *scene command, if you will. So you shouldn’t have *label originstory because you already have a scene_file for that.

This is what your startup.txt file should look like with the corresponding scene files to match on the left side.

Instead of having your stat chat - which as you can see you should have more than one *stat_chart for each opposed_pair - in the startup file, you put it in the choicescript_stats file.

Unlike your first attempt with the *label originstory this is what it would look like without yielding an error.

Also you shouldn’t have any part of your actual story in the startup file since the readers won’t ever look at it.

Think of the startup file as the cogs and gears behind a clock. You never see them. You just see the face of the clock.

3 Likes

You’re using the wrong kind of quotation marks in your code in some places:

*create V "woman"
*create W "girl"
*create X “she”
*create Y “her”
*create Z “hers”

Should be:

*create V "woman"
*create W "girl"
*create X "she"
*create Y "her"
*create Z "hers"

Notice the difference between “” and "". The second set is right, so go through your code and change these where you should.