Re-playability with Game Mechanics

What’s not working? Does the IDE usually work for you?

Actually, I have never used it before, but I got it to work…very interesting… I’m still a little confused about how the code makes it all work but oh well =p Neat little game.

My mind is not turning with different ideas of my own!! O.O but I fear my small understanding will limit me.

Nice FairyGodfeather’s. Simple and fun. I indirectly use Roshambo as a balancing methodology for combat mechanics. I can easily imagine application in a Interactive Fiction as a battle system for elemental magic or martial arts/melee weapon combat system of attacks/blocks/counters. Perhaps Ill expand on it in a tech demo.

Speaking of Tech Demos, I cheated using pics in the first demo, but, from now on, I’m strictly using descriptive text. The next demo on the drawing board is Simple Map/Player Navigation/NPC AI which I believe would be useful for creating virtual environments that could offer PC a true sense of free movement.

My latest installment in the Game Mechanics Demo Series: SQUAR3D, showcasing simple Area Definition and Character Movement.

I agree narrative is important, but, stimulating the imagination is paramount. I would break it down further into: stimulating sensory perception and emotional state through printed suggestion. I seek entertaining and creative ways to achieve this. My primary motivator is to answer the primary question: Why not?

Pen & Paper CYOA/IF added Pen & Paper RPG elements. Computer RPGs added other game elements. It stands to reason the Computer CYOA/IF to add other game elements too. In my opinion, its all about approach in the development of the story and the game. I’m developing the Game Systems first.

The second question is how complex does one want to go? My answer is, as complicated as needed. I can go deep into complexity kissing the choicescript K.I.S.S Principles good bye (saying hello to *gosub abuse). Complexity ranges from layering another script parser on top of choicescript to the implementation Behavior Tree AI into Narrative Branching.

My strategy is to design the game systems first. Followed by design of Narrative Branches. I previously wrote text versions of turn-based grid games (Battleship) ,arcade games (Space Invaders), maze games (Pac Man). Eventually transitioned to text RPGs & MUDs. Moved on to 2D, then 3D. My appreciation for interactive fiction has endured the times.

“Because it hasn’t actually added a single damned thing to my understanding of my character, their environment, or what I’m doing.”

Being able to simulate a game of Battleship or the like using choicescript commands is very clever, but I am at an absolute loss as to how being able to simulate that has any relevance to simulating “sensory perception and emotional state” - it feels like simulating things used to simulate “sensory perception and emotional state” instead in the current state.

well I am not sure its exactly the same thing that you are trying to do, but I am hoping to create something akin to an RPG world (in this case a galaxy, with various planets) which the player can room around freely, will pursuing his main mission or some other “quests” (Still none implemented though). I am creating a sort of combat/skill system which forms the backbone of the entire project (working at the moment on the ship combat subroutine, which is taking a bit of time)… its playable though only 8 planets there so far, are there and many things still not implemented… any comments are welcome!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15954994/web/mygame/index.html