Questions about quotation marks when thinking

So. I have a question. Also? if this is not in the correct catagory? The selecter box is being dificult right now. So.
Anyway. When you have someone speak, then you do/think someone, and then the person continues speaking. Do you put a quote when the person starts up again? Right now I don’t? But I can see how that might get confusing. Just want some clarification.
Anyway. Hope you all have a good night.

Could you give us an example? I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking.

Something like:

Person 1 "—
Well. I think. What ever I think.
P1 continnues speaking,I notice as I tune back in.
P1: —
Or
P1: speaking.
I raise a hand, rubbing at my swetty face.
P1 continues to speak.

If that is unclear? I should be able to provide something clearer? I hope.

In dialogue, things like that never happen unless we (or whoever it might be) try to interrupt the talking person. Many guidelines are available for this, but I do it by adding a dash – depending on the context.

Prime Minister: “And thus, with this project, we hope to build a better system–”
Opposing Party: *raises hand to interrupt.
Prime Minister: “–for us to base upon.”

3 Likes

Szaal is correct. But just to restate, yes, add quotations again after whatever action/thought occurs

I would use an em dash for interruption:
The Prime Minister raises her voice. “And thus, with this project, we hope to build a better system–”
“Balderdash!” shouts Lord Ellersby.
“–for us to build upon.” She glares at Lord Ellersby.

I would use an ellipsis for a long pause or trailing off
The Prime Minister quickly looks through her notes. “And thus, with this project, we hope…”
“Get on with it!” shouts Lord Ellersby.
“…uh…we hope…to build a better…system…” She mumbles while sweating visibly.

As far as how to punctuate the thoughts themselves, that’s a bit more of a gray area. I think italics set them off nicely when interlaced with spoken dialogue, as long as it’s done sparingly and clear who’s doing what.

The Prime Minister quickly looks through her notes. “And thus, with this project, we hope…” Deep breaths, Sheila. You can do this. “…we hope to build a better system for us to build upon. Thank you for your time.”

2 Likes