Oh my gosh help! I haven't used choicescript in forever and I'm stumped!

I’m having trouble with trying to make *if *elseif work properly for multiple variables! I’ve never tried it before, I mean I’ve done it for single variables just fine, but I can’t make this work for some reason. I even did the double paranthesis thingy I saw in another thread!

My code looks like this:

*if (human = true)
    *goto humanintro
*elseif (selonian = true)
    *goto selintro
*elseif (taxxion = true)
    *goto taxxintro
*elseif ((tyria = true) and (engineer = true))
    *goto engineerintro
*elseif ((tyria = true) and (soldier = true))
    *goto soldierintro
*elseif ((tyria = true) and (pilot = true))
    *goto pilotintro

It’s all screwy. It either shows all of them at once, OR it goes down past the first two *elseif’s and picks the third one’s path, but won’t go down to pick any of the doubles! :frowning: Can you just not mix single and multiple variables like this in an *if *elseif situation? How would I make this work then, otherwise? Please help! I want it to properly mix and match my variables!

EDIT: I’m gonna screw around with it some more and see if it fixes itself.

If you use *if and *elseif, pretty sure you need to end with an *else to catch all other possibilities. If you’re pretty sure there aren’t any other possibilities then you can do this

*if
  thing
  *goto place
*elseif
  other thing
  *goto place2
*else
  *bug

Hope that works, but if it doesn’t let me(/the forum) know

The last one has to be an else? I’ll try that I guess!

Blahs. No. :frowning: It keeps going to the third singular choice still. It just doesn’t wanna do the double variables… :frowning: Maybe I should shift their order around and put the “AND’s” on the top or something instead of the bottom?

mhnnn… I know it should technically not matter, but try replacing the
(x = true) simply with (x)?

EDIT: Like

*if (human)
    *goto humanintro
*elseif (selonian)
    *goto selintro
*elseif (taxxion)
    *goto taxxintro
*elseif ((tyria) and (engineer))
    *goto engineerintro
*elseif ((tyria) and (soldier))
    *goto soldierintro
*else
    *goto pilotintro

Penguins! :penguin: :slight_smile: Thanks! I’ll try that out!

I would try putting your double statements under one tree like this:

*elseif (tyria = true)
  *if (engineer)
    *goto engineerintro
  *if (soldier)
    *goto soldierintro
  *if (pilot)
    *goto pilotintro

^ this too.

Also, is tyra & pilot the last remaining possibility or are there others?

That’s the last one. :frowning: I only made three mixed and matched AND’s for the tyria and the classes.

Blehs. Still not changing anything. Still just stops on the third choice from the top, right before it SHOULD go onto the AND’s. :frowning: It just hates the AND’s. Do you think there’s a way I can like, do it in two parts, where it goes through the first singles, THEN the doubles, but like, actually works? Like in two separate *if levels or something? I don’t know! I just want it to work. Don’t care how convoluted! :smiley:

here’s what I would do:

*if (human)
  *goto humanintro
*if (selonian)
  *goto selonianintro
*if (taxxion)
  *goto taxxionintro
*if (tyria)
  *if (engineer)
    *goto engineerintro
  *if (soldier)
    *goto soldierintro
  *if (pilot)
    *goto pilotintro

Try without the elseifs and else in other words

Ok!

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve given myself a headache trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong with my code only to realize that it was being thrown off by a typo in there somewhere. Maybe there’s just one thing that doesn’t match the *create variable and that’s why it is only stopping at a certain *elseif?

also: important question: are you up to the newest version of CS?

edit: @Writing_Fever I think then quicktest would complain. the code looks fine, all parenthesis are in place.

Um, I don’t know? I’m using notepad.

I’ll check.

Have you tried CSide? It would let you import the scene files you already have

They didn’t say that they ran any of the -tests, I don’t think.

EDIT: Actually, that might be a good idea. If you’re just running the game through dashingdon or whatever and the *label text isn’t appearing, running the -tests might give you a more specific error message.

Here’s the forum thread if you want it

also: when you download the newest version of ChoiceScript (from where you got your current version: Save your scenes folder elsewhere, replace the old CS folder with the new stuff and replace its scenes folder with your own files)