Non-Binary inclusion for MC

Same choices as the MC gets; if I did the three options they’d be in a private room not in the dorms. With two choices, one of the two; if multiple they’d be split. Idea being the organization is inclusive and the decisionmakers are committed to that, but with their demographics they just can’t justify a dedicated dorm and must do what they can with the buildings they have.

1 Like

You know, I guess I’ll make my question more specific; basically the concept is that in more-or-less contemporary Earth young people start developing superpowers and magical monsters start attacking. The organization is basically formed to organize the people with superpowers to fight while trying to give them as normal a life as possible; sorta the X-mansion but with better political backing. So they’re fairly small and their demographics are more-or-less a random sample with an explicit directive that everyone who can fight is to be made welcome, and also the direct leadership thinks that’s desirable on its own. So the big setting decision influencing how much work I’d put in is the outcome of a conversation like so:

“we need to accomodate nonbinary people in our housing; we currently have two buildings split by gender.”
“We have how many nonbinary people?”
“About twenty on the anonomyous survey. Of course some people-”
“Noted. We can’t really calculate a reporting rate, though. Estimate thirty. Can we let them pick one of the two? We can shuffle roommate assignments on a case-by-case basis.”
“There’s about four who that’s not good enough for.”
“We can’t build a dedicated dorm for four people. Dedicate a half-floor in an existing one?”
“Not really better.”

So options are:
Minimal pronoun: “Tell them they have to pick one. Flip a coin if need be.”
Full unaltered: “Convert some rooms in an admin building for those four.”
Reduction: “Our dorms are co-ed now. Move people around so they’re evenly mixed.”
Setting change: “about sixty” “we build a nonbinary dorm”.

Note that the idea is that most of the scenes will have people from all the dorms; if the answer is “about sixty” I’d want enough fixed nonbinary characters that it always feels like there’s enough to merit a dorm; the reason it’d be a nontrivial split is that it’d change who are your dorm mates rather than the genders of your dorm mates. Hence, supporting that option basically means adding a set of characters to the main plot, so as to analogously support the dorm scenes. Whereas any of the other options just means having everyone’s dorm scenes include nonbinary people (for minimal there’d be two different nonbinary characters minimum and one of them would be in your dorm; possibly which is which flips but there’d be at least one significant character not in your dorm).

Basically the theoretical practical options are Minimal Pronoun or Reduction; if I need three versions of splits rather than two versions that means fewer splits. Which is 100% an option because at this stage I only have a few overall ideas and only one version of a scene that would split worked out (you get walked to your dorm by a resident and they talk; it’d convey the same underlying exposition but their personalties are wildly different to the point that there wouldn’t be a single shared line of dialogue). But I have ideas for a pair of characters that wouldn’t work as a trio; I’d need to significantly rework their dynamic to be a group of three rather than a pair who happen to share a lot of scenes with someone else. So that basically means I can’t write a split that is “you go with {your gender} of the group.” I’d have to render it unneccessary by not having those scenes.

Sorry, To necro this thread, but, I think it is better to use an older thread that to open a new one. I am planning an intro where a rude immigration agent asks you gender, race, age and all that to give you a visa. As for the character creation. So, I was thinking of using Female, Male and No follow gender normative, Is it okay? Or I should use no binary. I ask because I don’t know what is the most inclusive term. I will also let player input pronouns