Master List: Links for Beginners

BTW, I’ve edited it first : |
Well, I guess there’s a room for only one boss. I’ll delete mine.

Edit: Or not? Well, I’ll leave it for the time being :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

If I missed your edit, I apologize. I skimmed the links but didn’t see it in the Wiki post.

Edit: I see it now. Later, after I do some work on my own writing, I’ll try to organize the links a little. Again, I’m sorry I didn’t see you already link it in the Wiki.

Heheh, no offense taken.
It’s also a mistake on my part by not commenting this thread as I made the change.

I think I can tidy up the list myself, if you don’t mind. If anyone don’t mind.

1 Like

Please, straighten it up. I’m behind in my writing, so if I can concentrate on that, those waiting for my updated project will be happy.

Thanks for your help in keeping the list relevant and kept up.

1 Like

I updated the list with the recent tool Fairmath Calculator.

Thx for you guys that created it :two_hearts:

P.S. Should the title be changed?
I think the scope of this list is no longer limited to Beginners.

4 Likes

Visual Studio Code (https://code.visualstudio.com/ free, open source, runs on Mac, Linux, Windows) now has a choice script syntax highlighting plugin called ChoiceScript VSCode for those that want to use it as there development tool.

5 Likes

Hi,I just join Choice of Games a few weeks now and are interested to write a my own game.I am not a skillful writer nor scripter.
Any tips for begginers?

Is there anything specific you want to know? Coding tips, or tips in general?

The best thing to do is to start with the basics. Use the links up top in the first post to get you started. There are also some good youtube tutorials for starting from scratch. And the wiki is a great resource for questions as well.

1 Like

Don’t just do the tutorials; write down the code you can use and the rules you need to use it.

Also, indents. For the love of god, indents.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m looking to start making my own MCG and am currently new to ChoiceScript, so I was wondering if someone could give a couple of tips while programming and a couple of possible genres to base off. Thanks :sweat_smile:

Start simple.

Make a mini-scenario game to get yourself familiarized with CScript environment.

3 Likes

For genres, superhero and fantasy are definitely popular ones. Steampunk or romance also work for a lot of people.

2 Likes

Hmm okay, been running a few test runs here and there but still trying to get everything down but is there like a vid on CScript? I’m more of a visual learner so watching a tutorial might speed me through the learning process

Been playing Hosted and CoG games for about 3-4 years now and I noticed that fantasy genres dominates the Google Play library so I guess that’s a no no right? Unless I manage to cook up a hell of a story. Are there any games or books on steampunk that you could suggest? Would love to learn more about it

Here’s a vid which should fit for super-beginner on CScript coding.

hmmm how do i use word 2016 for making a game??

Word Processors (MS Word, Open Office Word, LibreOffice Writer, etc.) aren’t recommended if you plan to code. Use text editors instead.

1 Like

Does anyone have any advice for someone who might be interested in writing a game in the future? How much programming experience must one have? I apologize if this is in the wrong place, I’m very new to the forum.