Making You Fall in Love

I truly hope that you HATE Malina then :wink:

One of my favorites :heart:

I’m not sure if was thinking of either. It was more of a variety of scenes and interactions than anything else.

Hey, how about a romance where you can’t pursue the ro too much?

In most games, getting a romance means showing interest in a character whenever possible. But what if one of us penned a story in which the ro is uncaring or uncomfortable with those frequent displays of affection?

2 Likes

Would that actually a traditional romance option at all, or some kind of unhealthy codependency/emotional abuse simulator? Either way, no thanks, personally. Not in a game that wouldn’t deconstruct it instead of glorifying it, I mean. I tend to favor escapism in my choice games.

Although I am all for complex and flawed characters and stories about dysfunctional relationships can definitely be compelling, there is also a difference between a character who is uncomfortable with PDA and one who is withholding affection or uncaring.

1 Like

Just avoid the “one night stand” thing if possible, it sickens me in game as well as in real life.

Keep it evenly matched that means the npc can also initiate a Ro but it will depend on mc to further it or not after all why should our poor mc always have to go out and try his/her luck.

Yes, I understand. I was a bit ambivalent on writing that post since I didn’t want to word my meaning wrong, the last I’d want is to see a romance glorify an abuse relationship.

1 Like

I’m not sure that an RO who’s a bit embarassed by overt mushiness or is a bit more reserved would be abusive, would it? (At least that’s what I read @Vertigo’s meaning as)

1 Like

No, I do not think that a reserved person is being abusive. As I said in my post, [quote=“MizArtist33, post:24, topic:25052”]
there is also a difference between a character who is uncomfortable with PDA and one who is withholding affection or uncaring.
[/quote]
I do feel there was an accidental conflation of the two in the initial question, but there has been clarification.

1 Like

Yes, thank you being more much more wordy than I ever could, Scribbles. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I had to really “fall in love” with a character in order to write them as a love interest, I would need to give up on writing romantic plots altogether. “Write what you know” isn’t a bad philosophy per se, it just needs to be applied selectively, and that seems self-evident from my POV. The sheer number of things my characters do that I would never… Well.

I don’t know that I write love interests with the intent of making readers fall in love with them. I want to make the reader empathize and understand their motivations. In my experience, the other part pretty frequently follows on its own, no intervention necessary on my part.

3 Likes

Yeah–this is just a sign of my own weird, thin, permeable layer between myself and writing, particularly when it comes to writing about attraction. For it to feel real, to evoke an emotional response, I have to inhabit the narrative a little more than I would guess many people do.

6 Likes

Games are goods. They are a means through which you receive entertainment. Therefore, you are a consumer if you make a transaction to purchase a game.