Lunchtime at St. Expeditus (ChoiceScript VN)

I think dating would definitely fit the VN theme, but I don’t feel like it’d slot into the current gameplay very well. If you’re planning to open up the narrative a little more and expand on the whole concept, then I’d definitely vote in support, but I don’t see it working as an add on to what you’ve already got (it’s just too short to harbour any meaningful dating mechanics).

@Beezlebub Care to elaborate?

@CJW Yeah, I think you’re right about that - it’s not going to fit into the game as it currently stands. I’ve more or less settled on making the game wider instead of longer, so it’s probably best to focus on giving the player things to do that make sense in a one-hour timespan.

@aetheria
Honestly I think the game is good as it is, it’s short, fun and a very good tech demo.
It’s not overly complicated and if you make a mistake it doesn’t feel like a real hardship to start over. It has a light ‘pick up and play’ sort of vibe.

If you were serious about expanding on the idea, I’d personally suggest (and would very much like to see!) you leave *that* game where it is and start a new one with the same system (and possibly characters, and setting?) but a much bigger scope and different gameplay mechanics?

1 Like

@CJW In a way, that’s kind of my plan. I’ve been making a lot of modifications to the code in hopes of making it a better stand-alone system that I can drop into future games, so most of the changes to this game will be trying out the new commands and features I’ve got planned. Usually it takes me a while to come up with good story ideas, so it’s faster this way than coming up with a whole new game :slight_smile:

Although I do have some thoughts on what to do next… Unfortunately if I want to do a really good VN it’ll mean recruiting an artist, which adds another complication. Nobody wants to see MY drawings I assure you :stuck_out_tongue:

@aetheria if you can’t find an artist will we at least see a rough version with stick people?

Im impressed, the game got better

@Raulin At least if it’s another free game and I’m trying to recruit an artist to work for free, I’d write most of the script first and make a demo with stick figures or placeholders. If I want someone to sign on for a hobby project, it’s probably a good idea to make sure they have some assurances that I won’t disappear and let all their work go to waste.

I just wanted you to know that I like your drawings @aetheria It’s fun, light and I think it fits the game that you’re making. :stuck_out_tongue:

@Aera Thanks! But I can only take credit for finding the art - the actual sprites are from a free-to-use sprite set by this artist. :slight_smile:

Hmm I would elaborate but I made that post so long ago I’ve forgotten. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was surprised to see this got a review on JayIsGames Yay for more people being able to play, and enjoy the game.

3 Likes

How have I not found this before?! It might be short, but I’m amazed with what you’re able to do with just a little tweaking with ChoiceScript.

2 Likes

Oooooh fairygodfeather necromaaaaaanced :yum:

Mooorrreeee…good…MOOOORRREEE!