LGBTQ and Feminism Issues

Wow, that a was super sad, but also good and very poignant game. I absolutely agree that both in real life and in fiction, it’s best to make life better by a little thought and sensitivity about possible readers-and the general audience our words and actions. Speaking of, working a little project here on the forum On Foxtrot Hill - (WIP) - #95 by Bjorked

Check it out if you, want ^^

We’re really trying for inclusivity without being obvious or…odd/offensive anyhow ^^ :heart_eyes:

Pretty happy to say that the entire cast is queer. Kinda excited to see how that works in a game with a positive portrayal of both varying ethnicities and sexualities.

1 Like

22 Likes

That’s a really really good find @Samuel_H_Young as it is a clear example of how that people is just plainly abusing the people they misgender and miss your adress pronouns. I mean I one of most clumsy people ever and have sight problems . But when you misgender after people has saying their real address is being a bully and a moron . Then they dare to say is not a big deal… but then if you called them with other gender adjectives they get agressive. It is not cool.

And Sorry If I am being adamant. I am not trans or umbrella so I can’t talking about that but as cis woman that has been misgender all live as an insult by bullies i could in a way understand even if they have far more problems. i swear if someone would telling me in the street again that With a body like yours why you dress like a man I swear I will be rude … That when don’t call me marimacho that is a very offensive sexist word that it would be translated as tom boy but In Spanish is a slur and with directly calling names meaning as has no positive interpretations.

4 Likes

Sounds like…propaganda? I really don’t know. :man_shrugging:

Sorry post was flagged by someone because I’m homophobic. It just proves my point that LGBT people are getting equal rights and I don’t want that. You can not even scream homophobic slurs at people.

Anyways i like your work Samuel

Everything could be consider propaganda. And come to a lgbt post directly to criticise it with no reason it is weird to me. the attacks to trans people remember me as woman the attacks to female asking for vote have in England at end of XIX. And in Spain in 20 31 XX with posters and tons articles
If someone asking you to address them as what they are The minimum decency is do so Same I should not being address in middle of street about my way of dressing by random stranger

5 Likes

I was saying the totally ridiculous anecdotes Sofia posted just seem like propaganda.

4 Likes

Yeah i suppose something like that. But people that hates something normally accused the others of propaganda or worse. In spain there were a big campaign against women vote in left win. saying women weren’t prepared to vote as we will be literally sheeps voting what church say to us. As Spanish education in that time. But that’s not a reason to not let vote anyone the fact they will vote differently of what you want. Treatment of people as people is and will never be propaganda

3 Likes

I love that I can just edit whatever sometimes.

6 Likes

Use that power wisely D=

Oh I see you do %D

I was so confused for a moment :laughing:

Sidenote: on the topic of pronouns:

Whether irl or in the games:
If there is someone with neo-pronouns being mentioned and the speaker is uncertain what verb forms go with the pronouns:
Is it alright to guess or…?

1 Like

Maybe not good mod etiquette to edit other people’s posts? I remember the debacle with /u/spez on reddit (even though those edits weren’t marked as edits and were more insidious). I think the flagging and liking features do the job well in sorting out nice comments from bad comments.

9 Likes

Anyone else dislike depending on entertainment (games, films, books, etc) for lgbt representation and fulfillment?

I’m always constantly looking for entertainment to consume and get dishearted when I find so little. I’m looking forward to COGs and The Last of Us 2 but I feel bad that these are the only times I ever get to experience what it’s like to be a lesbian.

It’s hard to depend on mass media but irl I hardly ever see any and it makes me feel incredibly lonely. Just a few days ago I saw a rainbow and trans flag at my local bar and I was really happy but then I became sad because I couldn’t see anyone visibly queer at the bar. I ended up feeling out of place.

1 Like

I don’t want to derail this thread, but. I’m sorry, that’s such a difficult situation to be in.

As far as media goes, I’ve had some luck with independent, LGBTQ+ creators on lower-budget platforms, like podcasts or independent games. (If that’s something you’re interested in, I’d highly recommend The Strange Case of the Starship Iris, which is a wonderfully queer narrative podcast about smugglers in space, and/or the visual novel Butterfly Soup, which is about a group of LGBTQ high schoolers.)

As far as real life goes... (a few suggestions, under a spoiler tag so you can ignore them if you were just venting/don't want some rando giving you advice)

Do you live in an area with some sort of LGBTQ+ meetup group, and would that be something that you’d consider? Even just going to one event, or contacting the organizer, could be step towards building community IRL.

If not (which is perfectly valid!), there are certainly online communities you could consider/explore. I am not really an Internet Person, so I don’t have great specific examples, sorry. (Just after college, when I moved away from a bunch of friends and was more pointedly figuring out my queerness, I read a lot of autostraddle? But I know fuckall about their community/quality now, sorry.)

1 Like

I’ll definitely check out some podcasts. I’ve heard of butterfly soup but never downloaded. I like that it’s free and apparently is really heart warming.

As for going to LGBT groups. I find my city LGBT FB group is hard as my post and comments get ignored.

My university has an LGBT group and I went a few times. I’m a bit shy so it was hard for me to make friends but I’ll definitely check it out more this semester. I wish I was more into the movement because I feel like me being less political active hinders me from making friends. I appreciate you taking your time to give me advice, so thank you for that! :heart:

2 Likes

It’s extremely annoying, especially since more LGBT books tend to be slice of life romances, or coming out stories.

For trans fiction it’s kind of frustrating. I own every major fiction trans book that I can easily get ahold of. Of them, two (in the same series) aren’t slice of life romance stories. I’m glad for these other books, and love almost all of them (fuck Luna, though), but I’d like more fun stuff. Space adventures with a trans protagonist, high fantasy where the ‘crown prince’ is adamant that she’s not supposed to be a prince. Things that are more than just ‘trans kid comes out’ or ‘stealth trans person is outed by assholes and has to deal with the consequences’.

Things have been improving in recent years, but it’s slow going.

8 Likes

Yeah slice of life and coming out stories can get tiring. I guess because there’s a dreariness knowing that our lives still continue after coming out and not everyone can relate to a slice of life.

You said it better than me. For how big the lgbt movement is, it seems like it’s a slow for media to come around and catch up. I’m glad it’s here but more representation would help so many people who are also going through what you and I feel.

4 Likes

Amen I’ve been out for years already and having almost all media focus solely on the getting out aspect and mostly teenage guys is getting boring really fast.

Are there any that do it the other way around too? Princess declares herself to be male and not just for political convenience, but because that’s what he is?

Or after 50. :unamused:
But agreed, I’d also generally like more video game romances that continue beyond the dating stage. Though I recognize they may fit in better with series, but we’ve steadily gotten more of those on this site.

5 Likes