Juggling Multiple Stories

I am gradually working my way through a story but then out of the blue comes a great idea for a separate story. I really like the idea and want to start writing it but I am in the middle of a separate story. What should I do? Should I postpone the idea and just work on the first one, should I focus all my time on the idea or work on them both at the same time? I am hoping that other writers have had this problem and could explain to me the better choice.

2 Likes

I get new ideas while in the middle of projects all the time, especially when a current project is going through a tough stage. Itā€™s so tempting to lay the current project aside and prod at the new shiny idea, but Iā€™d strongly recommend not - Iā€™ve been there many times and have found that itā€™s a great way of never finishing! And itā€™s likely that another shiny idea will come along, and so on and so on.

What I do is one of, or a combination of, the following:

-Ignore it

-Scribble down the new idea in an ā€œideasā€ document where it can sit until Iā€™m done with the current project. If I still like it, I can work on it then.

-Think about what I like about the new idea, and if possible incorporate elements of it into the current project. Of course that depends on the ideas, but it can scratch the itch of wanting to think about new things.

Related to the last point, it may be worth considering whether there are things you want to change up about the current project or your process, to keep the enthusiasm going. Thereā€™s always going to be times where the work doesnā€™t come easily, but maybe there are ways that you can help boost motivation and remind yourself of what you love about the current story.

13 Likes

Seriously though, I try to scribble down the ideas and then put them aside for another day. Doesnā€™t always work though. Iā€™ve currently got a number of WIPā€™s I need to finish up and Iā€™ve basically made my life hard. Iā€™m currently trying to prioritise and get each WIP done because they kind of multipliedā€¦

Iā€™d try to stick to one, (two if you must to give yourself a break between one and the other) if you possibly can. (Coming from the do as I say and not as I do camp.)

10 Likes

I used to do that. Then one day I realised I had dozens of unfinished stories scattered about.

I find itā€™s very easy to get bored with a project after working on it for a while but thatā€™s the time I have to really dig in and force myself to get on with it. Itā€™s starting work for the day thatā€™s hard, once I get going Iā€™m fineā€¦ Just that lure of an exciting shiny new project around the corner to overcomeā€¦

For new ideas, I keep a notebook by my bed because itā€™s when I wake up or Iā€™m trying ot get to sleep that most of them come to me. If I can fit that idea into my current project Iā€™ll do so otherwise Iā€™ll try to forget about it - once I have it written down of course.

3 Likes

pretty much happen to me all the time lol and following that one moment when you think ā€˜Ohhh that would be more fun ! and I can always come back finish this one !ā€™ ā€¦it never happen lol

You just end up with 2 unfinished stories . Its like the zoomies for dog , brust of energy that need to come out fast but doesnt last long lol .

I donā€™t write down ideas , soā€¦that kinda doesnā€™t help .

Butā€¦I learned over the yea , ā€˜brain if you canā€™t give me more then how it startā€¦forget it! Iā€™m not stopping and writing that one !ā€™ā€™

Nowday I need the beginning , middle and endingā€¦before I write anything .

2 Likes

Thanks for those! I feel like this is one of those decisions where you know you shouldnā€™t and you are probably going to regret it later but youā€™re going to do it anyway. I will try and restrain myself.

5 Likes

Write it down for later. I have a folder of many potential stories on my phone. I write the premise, my thoughts, and a little snippet then tuck it away for later. Trust me, with my dreams I have a LOT of ideas, and thatā€™s where I put them.

Donā€™t get distracted.

You must be better than the magpies, or else you will become one.

1 Like

I agree with everything said before, donā€™t do it! (for a while I had 3 different WIPs, fortunately I managed to discipline myself and finish WIP #3 (Tokyo Wizard), then managed to finish #2 (Highway Wars)ā€¦ then somewhere along the point got distracted and worked on #4 (Birth of a Hero)ā€¦ will I ever finish #1? I have to constantly fight myself not to start new WIPsā€¦ then I realised all authors have exactly the same problem, and that finishing things is a question of mental discipline and not giving up to temptation!)

5 Likes

So, I actually have a lot of multiple ideas in my mind, both small and big:

• Write a standard action-adventure story
  • An elvish world with purple earth and space-colony-like domes
  • A story about armed dragons and F-15 (and other fighter jets) dogfighting in the sky
  • A forbidden love between a vampire and a sister/nun
  • Some crazy psychedelic trip after inhaling sulfur while being lost inside a cave
  • Life of a tofu-delivery man

Pretty wild, huh?
And what did I do with them?
Combine them into a single universe!

4 Likes

Life of a tofu delivery man :joy: gimme dat.

4 Likes

I am both curious and terrified.
Tell me more.

The keyword is ā€œtime and space,ā€ my friend :eyeglasses:
(That, and including the genre fantasy, of course)

Thereā€™re at least 2 eras/ages before the current timeline in my story, and every new ages, something happened that made the current technology reversed and ā€œrestartedā€ severely. However, the old ones built this massive gate/portal thingyā€¦
You see where Iā€™m going from here? :wink:

ā€œYouā€™re late! Whereā€™ve you been last time?!ā€

ā€œI joined Mr. Archibaldā€™s expedition into aā€¦ā€

ā€œBaah, donā€™t fucking care. You have 100 packages today, and no bonus for you! Deliver them, or Iā€™ll choke you with the tofu!ā€

1 Like

So, I mostly agree with everyone whoā€™s saying that working on multiple projects at a time is a bad idea. However, I also think that if you have a lot of experience, it can be a viable option.

Iā€™ve written 4 HGs, so now I feel more than comfortable working on The Enchanterā€™s Misery, Mass Mother Murderer, and Winter of the Bovine at the same time. It allows me to bounce back and forth if Iā€™m feeling stuck on one or the other, and itā€™s also nice to get some variety in because theyā€™re polar opposite genres. Admittedly, this means that theyā€™ll take longer to get finished, but this also means that they could be published a lot closer to one another, which means an explosion of cash all ot once. :smirk::smirk::smirk:

5 Likes

Yes, I guess that having two WIPs means you can bounce back and forth between them, depending on interest. However, as you say, this is probably better done once you have experience with several games (as you then have the drive to finish themā€¦ otherwise there is the risk of them joining the ā€œdesert of dead WIPsā€? How was it that Erick used to call it?

3 Likes

Picture this:

At work, you go on about your day, flow with the motions, do what youā€™re paid to do and some more if youā€™re a good employee. I sure am not, and while I stand behind that bar counter, I tend to fall into a little dream world of unrelated words and stories playing out all around me.

Not now, of course, now I just taking up space while the world falls apart around me. Huh, that could make a great dystopian game. Mental note.

Thereā€™s a regular sitting by the window. I know a lot about him, heā€™s a nice guy, but I donā€™t really know him. Drunken rambles are exaggerated at best. How would I get to know him - if the situation arises, how can I play out a conversation like that? Mental note taken. Hu-man in-ter-act-ion. Somewhat a weak skill for me, and no one wants to be treated to the ā€œservice industry voiceā€.

So I listen to another table, talking about their day. Fender bender, drama, how will that affect them? How long will they hang onto that anxiety a mechanicā€™s bill will give them? Itā€™s individual, of course, because I would freak out completely. But theyā€™re not me, and have a whole different thought process. How can I properly convey different personalities without them melding into something I would say or do? Accidental self-inserts are my bane, I admit.

I drive past a garrison every day I go home. I see training, Iā€™ve been a military man myself. Would that interest people? But usually we write about a broad system, or whatā€™s used in the great U.S of A. I have no clue how to write about the army over there, Finland doesnā€™t even have authorization for submarines for godā€™s sake.

Dystopian miliary? Where would it be set? A thousand years from now, another reality? The drive home is a daze, the entire day is filled with mental notes, half already forgotten only to come back to me just before falling asleep.

Itā€™s a long post for sure, but for my first one I wanted to make something bigger, and this is it; at 2am while I dread the workday tomorrow since I know slow days bring daydreaming, and thatā€™s still a blessing and a curse. Iā€™m an imaginative person, everything around me I can spin into a story. Wouldā€™ve made a great bard back in the day, but now Iā€™m stuck with either a blank Word page, or handwritten notes connected by a red line that doesnā€™t lead anywhere.

I look at topics here, at various WIP games, and Iā€™m awestruck. Consistent ideas that make sense, that make me anticipate a finished game years before theyā€™re even out. You who have a set story in mind, and go for it. How do they do that, I wonder, while casually trying to hide endless scripts that Iā€™ve abandoned over the years, either too extravagant or bland in my own eyes.

How do they keep the motivation? Mine comes in bursts, a surprise visit maybe once or twice a month, and itā€™s mountains of notes all over again. Then itā€™s mellow. Itā€™s slow and tedious and words donā€™t make sense, and I burn down the worldā€™s Iā€™ve created.

How do you stay on track? How do you keep yourself content with the story youā€™re writing without being pulled into a rabbit hole of endless ideas and unrelated aesthetics that might fit the world if you really, really squint at it?

Truly, Iā€™m like a defective sponge that only sucks up ideas, and canā€™t for the life of me release them, on paper or otherwise.

Oh. TL;DR. How do you keep your ideas from blending together? How do you keep on track what you want in a story? How are you so awesome? Notepads donā€™t work, Pinterest boards are cluttered, why is there a normal horse in my sci-fi dystopian wasteland. Am I even in the right category? Sweet anxiety how you return to me.

Also, hi! Shouldā€™ve started with that, I bet. Rydinger, 23, bartender by day (and night, I guess), wannabe writer at any given time Iā€™m not pouring shots or pulling my cats off the curtains. English isnā€™t my native tongue so skim over the worst of faulty grammar or jumbled sentence structures. Swedish brain sometimes does doof.

4 Likes