I've got an idea about paid storys

I think maybe we could earn full storys somehow like by watching a certain number of ads or something, ads give people money too i mean so it could work i want to read the rest of the storys i started like the cat one and some of us are not allowed to buy phone apps.

Ads probably pay like a 1000th of what paid HGs and CoGs do, unfortunately.

4 Likes

There’s a problem with ad supported games making money. You really need thousands of people playing your game on a regular basis to make decent money out of it (which is needed to pay staff, authors, artists, editors etc). Historically there’s been problems with the add companies in the past, and I believe they’re only paying out a few cents per ad. Not many people are going to want to sit down and wade through half an hour or more of ads just to avoid paying for a game, even if the ad companies allowed it.

4 Likes

You would have to account for things like ad blocking software, and it’s kind of a pain to really verify whether or not an ad was properly served in order to pay the affiliate.

One of the things about seeing ads is that (I believe) it’s against most ad agency’s terms of service to pay an ordinary customer for viewing ads.

Why? Because the motivation changes entirely.

If you know you are getting paid to watch ads, are you going to buy anything they are showing you, or are you just going to have it on auto, and turn off your monitor and mute your speakers and just wait for the money to come in?

The whole point of ad companies paying affiliates to show ads is because of the possibility of a return on their investment. If people are getting kickbacks for watching ads, then they are that much less likely to actually buy the advertised product and just keep watching over and over for the reward.

4 Likes

Can they do what they did with the dragon game and make it so you can pay to turn off ads and still have the full game even if you do not buy an ad remover from them?

Paying to turn off ads still doesn’t make much money. The only way to properly reward authors and to keep the company affloat is to have paid apps. (Keep in mind I’m a HG author and am just speaking from experience and from what I’ve seen on the forums, not actually for CoG.)

3 Likes

Isn’t there a game that does that? Choice of Creatures or something along those lines I think?

I don’t have the metrics, but for a niche game market, I wouldn’t expect ads to be as profitable as the current going price. And not enough people are going to pay to turn ads off to offset that dip in profits.

Choice of Dragon is old, and mostly free anyway. The ad model is just so the company makes some money per download, as opposed to zero, if I’m remembering that part of the discussion (in the linked thread or the preceding conversation) correctly.

I just kinda realy want to play these games and im not allowed to spend real money on games and apps.

And we’re really glad that folks want to play our games. However, our games, much like books, or movies, or even more “expensive” games like those produced at AAA companies, cost Choice of Games thousands of dollars, each, to create. We pay our authors advances against royalties, which means we’re out of pocket before a game is published. Unfortunately ads alone could never cover the cost of producing a game. We’ve been able to offer a few games as ad supported or pay to turn off ads, but those are either a) Hosted Games or b) Choice of Games titles written by people on staff, or others, under special circumstances.

6 Likes

@hetaliagirl just as a possible alternative see this post (I know it’s definitely for google play, not sure if there’s an apple version) https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/google-opinion-rewards/30591?u=jacic

It’ll be a slow process to buy games this way (I think a made a few dollars from it this month, so you might only get a game every 1-3 months or so depending how expensive the games are you pick) but it’s better than nothing. (Just answer honestly, some people have said if they answer inconsistently, they get less surverys. Wouldn’t surprise me if google is tracking the answers you give to make sure you’re not just trying to get as many surverys as possible). Either that or maybe ask if you could get a gift card to spend on some games next birthday/christmas if that’s possible.

Have you played all the free ones? There’s a list of them somewhere on the forum if you do a search. There’s actually quite a few.

1 Like

I get stuck on certain things sometimes i think it has to do with my autism, i really want to play the cat game. So i dont think ive played all the compleatly free ones.

Mhnnn… maybe an odd question, but not allowed to buy phoneapps in general or ‘just’ off a credit card?
I see a lot of parents etc say no due to the money being charged off a credit card or the phonebill with no control until it is too late.

Here you go. Work your way through these. They should all be free with ads. For reasons discussed already, the paid titles aren’t going to end up free so might as well enjoy these instead :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Im not allowed to use real money.

Which sounds a bit not thought-through of your parents if I may say that.
You could otherwise arrange with them to be allowed one 15 bucks card for what platform you use every 3, 4 or 6 months.
Argue it would teach you how to keep an overview on your finances.
(These cards can be a blessing)

Do you think it could work? I really want to play some games but they cost real money, I get interested in things sometimes and lose interest after a month or two, I really think that has to do with my autism, (I think I forgot to reply the first time I posted.)

Your speaking to someone with Asperger’s here.
It did help me get control of my finances, especially when it comes to online purchases. When I can (googleplay, amazon) I rather buy a card and charge my digital money for what is needed than to let them take money off my bankaccount.
It really helps, mainly as you second guess ‘do I really need this’ whether it is at the purchase of the good or the card.

2 Likes

Do you mind if i show my mom these posts? It may help to explain I have trouble explaining things sometimes, my words just do not work right sometimes.

It’s alright. :slight_smile: Best of luck, because the games can be a blessing especially if you’re prone to disassociating occasionally.

2 Likes