Is having gender choice important to you?

Yes, it is important to me. This is because I tend to play these games as a sort of self-escapism fantasy, where I get to adventure into different worlds. And since I’m a woman, that means I would like to pick a female character. However, that said, it’s up to developers to make the kind of narrative that they want. The audience shall enjoy the games that interest them or catch their attention.

As someone who once had this viewpoint (more or less), I feel like I can safely say: yes you can. Or, at least, you don’t need to play a literal self-insert to relate to a character (in fact, I dislike “blank slates” MCs who are supposed to facilitate the players’ insertion, and I’d rather play a MC with a distinct personality, even if that personality isn’t my own)

When I was young and discovering the wonderful world of role-playing games (both tabletop and videogames), I exclusively played male (and good aligned) characters. I mean, I am male, so it was definitely easier to identify myself to a MC of the same sex, right? (and since I at least aspired to be a good person, it made sense to play characters who had a somewhat similar mindset) Even as games began to give you gender-choices (I grew up with Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights, KotOR… in general, I feel like Bioware had been an important part of my life for a long time), I tended to avoid playing female characters - and when I did, it often was to try to tackle one of those “evil playthrough” (that I could never finish most of the time). I mean, if the disconnect was here, might as well go all the way.

And then… it somehow stopped to matter. Is it because I had an epiphany that somehow the opposite gender wasn’t some sort of alien species I could never hope to comprehend or emphasize with, or maybe I just learned to differentiate better between me and a character I’m controlling? Truth be told, I don’t really know. But not only am I okay with playing a MC who’s of the opposite gender, now it’s often my go-to choice. In fact, I’m at a point where gender-locked male games do piss me off a bit (I give gender-locked female games a pass, if only because there are so few of them in comparison).

1 Like

This is the crux of the problem. If the protagonist is so malleable that they are faceless, then that means the protagonist is formless. It’s like forging a weapon from steel. If there are no parameters to the forging then the weapon that results will not be the protagonist the author is calling for.

If the author sets boundaries for the protagonist then a fully fleshed out character with customization is possible. Such a boundary may or may not be gender. The lack of a gender does not determine if a character is fleshed out or not, the overall character design does.

An example: An heir to a throne - first-born, legitimate and acknowledged by both parents, baptized in the Church, possess magic and is totally hale both physically and mentally can be a fully fleshed out character.

If the author’s story then weaves that character, regardless of further customization (gender and sexual orientation) into the whole, you still get to experience who the protagonist is and the reader still has the ability to get into the skin of that protagonist - seeing the world through that character’s eyes and through their different perspective.

There are a couple of CoG/Hosted Games that accomplish this through the author’s writing skill. @MultipleChoice 's Samurai series and @malinryden’s Fallen Hero series are two such.

I can understand why you may not enjoy the customization level of games like Safe Haven on principle but I would put forth the idea that the protagonist isn’t defined by RPG elements being chosen to customize the protagonist but rather it is the choices made throughout the story defines them. Choosing the humane route should give you a different story than choosing a more cynical route.

There are a couple of CoG/Hosted Games I feel accomplish this well. @JimD’s Safe Haven series defines the protagonist this way as does @Havenstone’s XoR series.

8 Likes

Soon if we play male does that cut out romance completely or can we have a gaymance

WayfaringBroad last posted 2 years ago … they may be taking an extended break at this time.

4 Likes

If a story forces MC to be a certain gender, I do not mind. Of course, I would prefer the game be flexible with both, but only if the story is still a good one.

It is really rather simple, if a game is female locked it most likely isn’t for me. If a game is straight male locked it definitely isn’t for me.
That said what drew me here specifically was the chance to be a gay protagonist, get the boy in the end and all of that experience that is usually still reserved exclusively for straight guys in the mainstream media and AAA games, or for the female protagonists in many visual novels.

3 Likes

You should play the new Assassins Creed Odyssey you can be gay with romance options as well now.

1 Like

I see your points, but you also have to take into account that character of the protagonist may be an integral part of the plot. It doesn’t have to be, but it usually is, especially when we’re talking about “literary” approach to our “games”. The WIP I’m working on will feature classical character creation because it’s to be a kind of “generic” adventure story so the character of the protagonist is not that important. The second WIP I have planned though is about a very specific character from my world and the plot simply wouldn’t work without his very specific circumstances, so no character creation there. (Though I’m toying with an idea of giving an option to play the game as his sister, an alternative perspective, basically 2 games in one - however the plot is still to be heavily influenced by the pre-defined character of the protagonist, either one)

As for bigotry argument…

I don’t buy that one bit. I’m sorry, but Huckleberry Finn is not “condoning” racism. As a matter of fact, you have to be a mouth-breathing idiot to think so. This race to the bottom, the lowest common denominator is getting out of hand.
You cannot criticize anything if you are not even allowed to describe it. Really, the greatest and most poignant criticism of 19th century slavery and racism that I ever read is Flash for Freedom, a darkly-comical adventure novel written in 1st person from the perspective of a total borderline-sociopathic bigot (sexist, racist, classist… you name it), who insists on calling everyone non-white a n… and who, in spite of experiencing the horrors of slavery first-hand as a slave himself can see absolutely no connection between himself and the poor souls he himself happily enslaved and sold away just a few chapters ago. After all, they are just n…

This is how you write poignant literature of social criticism. This is how you understand how this abominable system worked and how otherwise decent people (that Flash encounters) could not only condone but even participate in. Sorry, but Schindler’s list would have been a much lesser movie if the character of the camp governor wasn’t presented in such depth and, yes, even humanity. By the end of the movie we at least get a sense of how he got there. He is not a space mutant from beyond who was born evil and so someone we cannot relate to at all. He begun as human, as us… and so this is a poignant warning - do not be like that guy don’t end up like him. If he were a space alien, we wouldn’t be able to relate, the character wouldn’t serve this critical moral purpose. Saying “don’t be like Jaws” would be pointless but you can say “don’t end up like Darth Vader”.

In order to combat evil, you have to understand it. Clutching pearls, averting eyes and declaring evil-doers unfathomable and nonredeemable monsters is, paradoxically, what usually creates evil in the first place. Flashman from the novel I’ve mentioned is not really “evil”; as the protagonist through whose eyes we observe the world of the novel, he is even sympathetic at times. But he is a selfish bastard, an anti-hero, a cynic, burdened with all the prejudices and mores of his times. But is he evil? At times he does evil deeds… but is he an evil creature? No, he is human. A messed up creep and coward, a liar and a cad. But evil, as in elemental, inhuman evil? No. He is just a human being, not a god, not a demon or a boogeyman, just human.

Again, all evil that humans do to each other comes from de-humanization, from declaring someone else “evil”, unfathomable and therefore not human anymore. You don’t have to talk to non-humans. You just tell them to shut up or worse. Study tribal warfare, for example. The most horrible atrocities imaginable become acceptable and commonplace once you are comfortable with the concept of the “other”, that that neighboring tribe is not really “people” and that you don’t have to talk to or understand them. What is happening in our cultural landscape today frightens me, I must admit. It is as if we have forgotten the true lessons of world wars and are gearing up for new ones…

8 Likes

There’s a difference between portraying bigotry and inviting a player to partake in it. @ParrotWatcher didn’t mean (or, didn’t in my understanding I suppose, I don’t want to put words in your mouth) “no piece of media can ever contain any sort of discrimination,” just that if there’s a game where players are allowed to play bigoted characters, the author runs the risk of alienating players who would be targets of that bigotry. Even if at the end of the game someone says “hey, transphobia is bad,” there still now exists a game where transphobes have been welcomed in and invited to express their ideology, and me and a lot of other trans people probably would’ve set that game down the first time that type of option appeared. It’s completely unfair to say that people who are of marginalized identities are just turning a blind eye to other identities or points of view, when the issue is that we very rarely get to see points of view other than those. Worrying whether or not the targets of bigotry are sympathetic enough to straight white cis people really isn’t a pressing issue of our time–and if the goal of your writing is to open someone’s eyes to a different experience, I’d like to point out that someone politely expressing why they don’t want to play any more games about straight people when they’ve already done it enough might be less of a target than any of the swathes of gamers on other sites and forums who call for boycotts and death threats when popular or AAA games start to acknowledge minorities

And from a purely practical standpoint, Choice of Games as a company has rules about how much, I forget how exactly they word it, “hateful content” they allow in games published under their labels. If you explicitly include bigoted content you run the risk of them requiring it to be changed or removed before publication. (I don’t work for them or know the ins and outs of said rule or I would try to be more specific and helpful, sorry that’s vague.)

10 Likes

Well, @HomingPidgeon has already said most of what I would have said about the bigotry issue… (Also, it is worth bearing in mind that even explicitly anti-bigotry stories like American History X and Cabaret have been used as recruiting tools by neo-Nazis, but that’s straying a bit off-topic.)

Regarding this, though: I still don’t see why the main character needs to be male. Sure, they will need to act in certain ways to drive the plot, but I don’t see how that would have to make them male. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

Regarding this, though: I still don’t see why the main character needs to be male. Sure, they will need to act in certain ways to drive the plot, but I don’t see how that would have to make them male. ![:man_shrugging:]

Because in 99.99% of all human societies ever, males and females had very distinct overt roles and positions in society, and that includes various levels bigotry and prejudice towards exceptional individuals. I’m sorry, but I didn’t invent the world or human beings and how they form their societal mores. In warrior societies, for example, male-female role distinctions are commonly extreme, exceptions like amazons and shield-maidens notwithstanding. Also, I am not interested at all in writing about what human species “should” be like, only in what they actually are. I don’t fancy writing about aliens which disguise as humans in my stories. Also, if I want to make my characters strong, I have to present them with challenges which are universally relatable and that includes prejudice and injustice.
That being said, the world I’m writing is not particularly sexist or racist (its dominant culture isn’t anyway) but a certain degree does exist. Think Game of Thrones in that regard, maybe Rome. And while we’re mentioning GoT my favorite characters in those books (didn’t bother with the TV series) are Brianne of Tarth and Tyrion, exactly because of the prejudice they had to contend with.
And finally, men and women, generally, are not the same. Sorry, but that’s a fact. You mention Cabaret for example (one of my favorite movies) - would this story work with protagonist’ genders reversed? Would this story work if Max wasn’t gay? Look at all great works of fiction, how many of them would work well, or if at all, if their characters had different sexes? How much of a character’s character is in his or her sex and his or her relation to it?
And finally (now really) it’s a matter of author’s vision. With this brother-sister duo I cannot imagine them being gender-switched. I simply cannot, couldn’t write it. In my mind it wouldn’t make sense and it would seem fake to the reader. Maiden of Tarth or Joan d’Arc would loose much, if not everything if they were male. Can you imagine the character of Elric (Moorcock) as a female? I can’t. It simply wouldn’t work. Just don’t ask me why. I’ll just say one thing, Jungian archetypes exist for a reason and usually they are very strongly gender defined. And you don’t mess with archetypes.

1 Like

About That I am sad people still nowadays supposing that your gender identity means you have to like x things dress in x way and have certain personality traits.

I am a white cis woman . I don’t like pink, i don’t like make up. I like sports and motorbikes. I am brave and bold my favorite color is blue and black, and I like take first steps with boys. Well I am tired of being targeted as “Tomboy” “Malegirl”

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but I didn’t invent the world

Yes you did. Every single aspect of the story you present to us comes from your imagination. You invent every word and detail. You decide the rules. There is no overarching force cross-checking your work for some universal idea of accuracy. It’s all you, baby.

12 Likes

Sure you do. All kinds of good literature comes from messing with archetypes.

21 Likes

Then you contradict yourself. The fact that there are exceptions even in societies with strongly defined roles is ‘what they actually are’ and not ‘should be like.’

Yes, I can, and yes it would work.

Not to mention Jungian archetypes are normally so vaguely defined that it really doesn’t add up to much. If you include the fact that many Jungians have studied them in essentially an infinite number of ways, they really aren’t definable.

10 Likes

About That I am sad people still nowadays supposing that your gender identity means you have to like x things dress in x way and have certain personality traits.

I am a white cis woman . I don’t like pink, i don’t like make up. I like sports and motorbikes. I am brave and bold my favorite color is blue and black, and I like take first steps with boys. Well I am tired of being targeted as “Tomboy” “Malegirl”

But you are still female, and feminine, and no less so for your traits. That’s why I mentioned archetypes. Who is “more” feminine Athena or Venus… or Hera? The answer is, of course, all three.

Yes you did. Every single aspect of the story you present to us comes from your imagination. You invent every word and detail. You decide the rules. There is no overarching force cross-checking your work for some universal idea of accuracy. It’s all you, baby.

With great power comes great responsibility… Of course I can write whatever the hell I want, but that way lies the road to many a horrifyingly bad novel.

Sure you do. All kinds of good literature comes from messing with archetypes.

Heh, depends on what you mean by “messing with” of course… I mentioned Venus, Athena and Hera up there. Greek gods are a fantastic gallery of archetypes btw. Take mythological stories featuring those goddesses and just make them male… It would not work. Not a bit. Because humans simply do not operate that way. A male Hera? No. Unless it’s a gay drag queen, and that would be cool… but it would be for completely different reasons and it wouldn’t be Hera anymore and nor would it be proper Hera-male equivalent which is, as we know, Zeus who has a completely different personality.

So if you are a warrior and like heavyweight lifting you have to be male gender? Sure then all women that sacrifice her lives to protect us are male… It is so wrong and so bigotry in all levels. Women fight, women have power and guys can have sensitive personality like dance and music. Gender identity has nothing to do with archaeological societies

6 Likes

Sure, Cabaret is all about gender roles and dynamics, both following them and subverting them. That’s pretty much the point. Likewise, subplots in Song of Ice and Fire (especially Brienne’s) are also about gender roles. However, for a story which is not explicitly about gender roles (and if you’re writing in a fictional setting), then there should be no reason why those gender roles need to be there. (“Realism” is not a reason.)

Fair enough. I’m not going to ask you to change them. I certainly wouldn’t want to make any of my gay characters female (or straight). That said, it does feel as though the story you’re writing would not make a very good piece of IF, and certainly not a CS game, if the MC is by necessity such a predefined character.

Why not? :confused: Hera has two main characteristics: loving to her children, jealous to her husband’s lovers. Why is it impossible for a male character to have those characteristics?

13 Likes

Jungian archtypes refer to unclear concepts and images that are defined by the culture and psych of the writer presenting them. They are constantly evolving in meaning because culture and the concept of “being” whatever you are using as your archtype image is in constant flux.

Let’s examine one of these strongly gender defined just to show how malleable they are:

The anima archetype appears in men and is his primordial image of woman. It represents the man’s sexual expectation of women, but also is a symbol of a man’s possibilities, his contrasexual tendencies. The animus archetype is the analogous image of the masculine that occurs in women.

Every gender defined parameter in the anima archtype has changed since Jung’s theory was first put forth. Not only that, but it has changed in different countries into even more different meanings. Spanish machismo is different than the Anglo-Saxon version

Not only that but qualities of one archtype often exist in others. Qualities in the anima archtype exist in the shadow archtype making it extremely difficult to know where one begins and the other leaves off. There is even a question of the existence of multiple archtypes or multiple images of a single archtype.

All this doesn’t mean you can’t use your own version of Jungian archtypes - a lot of us do. My version of the Mother, Child, Villain, Hero, etc is not going to line up with yours. I can guarantee this.

Because Jungian archtypes are so malleable, I am using other systems of archtypes together with the Jungian versions.

There are several things wrong here. First; Athena, Venus and Hera were different from one metropolis/city/town in Greece to the next. In one place, Athena is worshiped one way and in another, she is worshiped in another way. Not only that but her stories and attributes changed and morphed over time.

So, yes, changing out gender could work and would work, especially since attributes in Greek mythology are not set in stone to one deity or another … there are many examples of one deity’s duties and attributes being attributed and taken up by others over time. Nothing in Greek mythology is inviolate. Nothing.

Another simple fact: Authors constantly take mythology and change them to suit their writing purposes … You Hera example doesn’t hold water because you say “you can’t” but then you acknowledge that “you can” but then “it wouldn’t be Hera” but it is … just because you don’t want it to be doesn’t mean the author that makes the changes agrees with you.

11 Likes