I'm having trouble with being inclusive

This is why I suggested looking at Hannah’s method; she has included guardrails to ensure that there is no one is removed from the narrative entirely and to avoid an extreme skew during randomizations.

I would personally prefer if set characters were used and if everyone would then be included; I know that is not a realistic option for most authors, numbers-wise, so there has to be compromise of one nature or another.

IMO: Having the option at the beginning is a better solution than as you meet them - unless you can execute it very well in your writing.

Everyone -

This is a gentle reminder to please keep conversations directed at the topic at hand and not at the individuals themselves. Focusing replies on the individuals themselves instead of the topic at hand can lead to friction between members and often causes the thread to derail.

Focusing replies on the individuals themselves instead of the topic at hand can lead to friction between members and often causes the thread to derail.

Please also remember that it is often not so much what ones opinion is that causes friction, but how one chooses to express that opinion. Using negatively-charged value words are a good way to start friction, as is generalisation and sniping.

Finally, if you see disrespectful posts please do not reply to them. Rather please use the report feature and let forum staff de-escalate friction.

15 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

What I did in Fallen Hero was having the option at the start of the game to pick (as well as achievements).

This game contains options to choose the genders of the two main romantic options(RO’s for short). You can either choose this as you encounter the character in question, preset both of them to a set gender, or randomize their genders.

9 Likes

I’m sorry if this is off topic, but I think it’s related. I could use some help choosing words to apply to non-binary player characters. The two that I’m really struggling with are Lady/Lord and Prince/Princess. I’m really not sure what a good option might be, and any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Like

I was having a similar struggle with the words miss/sir. For royal titles though, maybe “my liege” or “your majesty” will work? As far as I know they’re gender neutral.

Edit: they won’t really work if you want to add them onto a name, just realized. English is super binary which makes it more difficult. I ended up having to leave out sir/miss.

Ack! I forgot about Miss/Sir/Mr./Ms. so on. I need suggestions for that one too! I’ve seen Mx. used, but I have a really hard time writing dialogue if I can’t hear it in my head, and I have no clue how Mx. would be pronounced.

It’s pronounced like “mix”

2 Likes

The Fool had a good substitute for Prince/Princess - I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: Seems to be Prinxe

3 Likes

Prinxe i loved the word

3 Likes

Oooh Thanks! I haven’t seen that before, but I like it!

1 Like

Alternatively, Turncoat Chronicle uses Princep, which I prefer to Prinxe on a purely aesthetic/personal taste level.

5 Likes

The trouble with Princep is that it was a historical title - so it might be confusing because of that.

1 Like

Princep has a historical meaning that could mistake people Also i think Nb needs their own titles it has sense to me.

First off, bisexuality is not “attraction to two genders” and never has been for as long as bisexual people have been in charge of the word. All the big official Bi organizations agree on this, and the idea of there being more than two genders is specifically stated in the 1990 Bisexual Manifesto (which is around when these organizations were founded). Not trying to start anything, just clarifying as there’s lots of misinformation around. Etymology doesn’t equal modern meaning, even if tumblr says so. It literally originated as a word for plants and animals with two different kinds of reproductive organs in the 1800’s. Words change. Bisexuality’s actual definition has always included space for more than two genders. Some say “same and different”, some “more than two”, I don’t particularly care how it’s stated, but the point is there is an effort made to have it not be binary.

Moving on from all of that, I did want to say that I’m not a fan of forced randomization for the bisexual option for ro’s. It makes it especially hard for replaying and trying different routes as you can’t guarantee you’ll get your same characters a second time. I’m also not a big fan of locked genders when you click bisexual. An example would be Wayhaven (not hating, I love Wayhaven with all my heart) where the bisexual option locks in certain ro’s to certain genders without further input from us. So for a bi character, the same two ro’s are always male and the same two are always female and there’s no way to switch it up.

The best way I’ve seen this dealt with is basically an abundance of choice at the beginning. Randomization? Only if you want! Set genders before you start? Only if you want! Set genders when you meet the characters in game? Only if you want! That always makes me happiest.

10 Likes

I’ve found the Nonbinary Wiki’s list of gender neutral language and Gender Queeries’ list of Gender Neutral Titles useful resources for figuring out nonbinary titles.

If the titles are for the MC, I always appreciate a write-in option, in addition to whatever preset options there are.

For setting characters’ genders: IMO you can’t go wrong by letting the players choose if they want to randomize the genders or if they want to set the genders themselves.

7 Likes

Anyone got any ideas what a neutral version of ‘sir/ma’am’ would be? As in a military context?

What about defaulting to their rank? By doing this, there is uniformity in the answer and the military loves uniformity :wink:

Edit: You can always go with the rank as a default, then the officer in question can correct the person, if they desire … My sister used to ask to be called ma’am but there were people that wanted to be called “Sir” at all times as a sign of respect.

If you do go with the officer correcting the person, you can always ask the reader to manually input what they would want to be called as well.

4 Likes

I am straight but normally play as bi or pan the name you want give it. What i think is important is have visibility of other options in game
Example I don’t like when If I choose Hetero puff Everyone suddenly all in game people is heterosexual and from the gender i am attracted of. I think that kills totally the inclusion side. I prefer not all being switch.

1 Like

I have been using “syr.”

One question why most nb titles derives from masculine terms and titles? Prinxe is for prince Mx for Mr… It is like bizarre too me not create totally different ones : But i suppose is for practicalreasons

2 Likes