If Statements in Paragraphs

So I am trying use an “if” command inside of a paragraph. If the character has the Frugal trait I want the sentence to say ‘blah, blah’. If the character does not have the Frugal trait I want it to say ‘blah’. I tested it with the frugal trait and it worked perfectly. However once I tested it without the Frugal trait I got the error:

“farmer line 499: invalid indent, expected at least one line in ‘if’ true block”

My guess is the else command shouldnt be used but something else. Here is my code below.

*label market
As you and Eldon approach the market, your reminded of how busy this area can be. Being carrying goods for sale, cattle, furniture, and the like. You see the various stalls ranging from produce, weapons, clothes, sculptures, book, and
even animals. Your father always complained when he has to go to the market which is likely why he sent you and Eldon to get the items. You pull out the list your father gave you and count the 10 gold pieces as well. 
*line_break
*line_break
The list contains:
*line_break
Butcher Knife Set
*line_break
Spices
*line_break
Kettle
*line_break
*line_break
You find the list rather easy and shouldn't have any issues getting the items she requires. "I have some things I need to get as well. Meet me at well when your done...shouldn't take me very long." Eldon walks off and gets lost amongst the bustling crowd.
Placing the list back into your pocket you begin looking for the right stall to get mothers items. You scurry over to the weapons stall and see quite a hefty man behind it with a hideous scar across his eye. The man nods and grunts, I guess he's not much for words.
You point to the butcher knife set and the mans booming voice suprises you "That'll be three gold pieces." You count the gold coins and toss him three gold pieces. You then quickly look for the next stall that would have the spices your mother wants. You decide the check
the produce stall and luckly they have exactly what you're looking for. The lady behind the stall looks rather friendly and kindly asks if you want anything. You lift up the bag of spices, and she quaintly replies "Two gold pieces please". You quickly count the coins and
hand her the require gold. She winks and says, "Come back again soon, we have the best prices in the whole market!" You turn from the stall and ponder which stall would have the kettle you're looking for. Low and behold you see furniture stall that should have what you're
looking for. Behind the stall was a rather frail kid around your age. As you approach the stall you ask if he has a kettle. The kid points to one and says "5 gold coins."
*if ((first_trait = "Frugal") or (second_trait = "Frugal")) 
However you know a thing or two about pinching coins together, and begin haggling with the kid. Dosent take long for him to see your reasoning and he decides to give you a discount. Instead of five gold pieces, he charges you three gold pieces. 
You gather up all the items you bought, placing the butcher knife set and spices inside the kettle and lug the kettle from the stall. You now set off headed toward the well at the center of the market.
*page_break
*goto well

*else 
You pay the five gold pieces and gather all your belongings, placing the butcher knife set and spices inside the kettle and lug the kettle from the stall. You now start walking towards the well at the center of the market.
*page_break
*goto well

Thanks for all and any replies :slight_smile:

You need to indent the stuff you want under the if statement.

*if ((first_trait = "Frugal") or (second_trait = "Frugal")) 
  However you know a thing or two about pinching coins together, and begin haggling with the kid. Dosent take long for him to see your reasoning and he decides to give you a discount. Instead of five gold pieces, he charges you three gold pieces. 

2 Likes

You need to indent the parts under *else too.

*else 
	You pay the five gold pieces and gather all your belongings, placing the butcher knife set and spices inside the kettle and lug the kettle from the stall. You now start walking towards the well at the center of the market.
	*page_break
	*goto well

You also don’t need to do a double *line_break if you do a double space.

3 Likes

The in-line *if test you want is called multireplace. It looks like this:

@{((first_trait = “Frugal”) or (second_trait = “Frugal”)) However you know a thing or two about pinching coins together, and begin haggling with the kid. Dosent take long for him to see your reasoning and he decides to give you a discount. Instead of five gold pieces, he charges you three gold pieces. You gather up all the items you bought, placing the butcher knife set and spices inside the kettle and lug the kettle from the stall. You now set off headed toward| You pay the five gold pieces and gather all your belongings, placing the butcher knife set and spices inside the kettle and lug the kettle from the stall. You now start walking towards} the well at the center of the market.
*page_break

Also, don’t use double *line_breaks to seperate paragraphs. (In addition to just looking bad in game if anything is wrong, it doesn’t work with screen readers.)

2 Likes

Huh. I didn’t know it doesn’t work with screen readers. One more reason to quash it!

2 Likes