How much customization of appearance do you like?

I have an option in my game to randomly generate a character. I suggest you have something like that too. In mine, it’s as simple as picking one from a pool of unisex names and then randomly selecting male or female.

I think making certain values default is a bad idea as it implies these are the canon ones. If the player doesn’t want to choose the appearance should either be randomized or not be mentioned again at all.

@Shockbolt I believe character customisation is great to have even in text-based games. I feel the customisation of the character draws you in and allows you to picture your character.
However, I think you should have a “skip” button for those who do not want to customise their character.

Can I ask what is your game about?

I suppose I’d say – if the customisation is never mentioned or even referred to, it is not important enough to include unless the author enjoys coding that bit themselves. However, if it spurs a reaction, then it is indeed worth it, for me, any way. Even if it is just a few sentences changing, it has been noticed. :blush:

To draw a parallel – in most games where you design your character, it is all moot, except gender, which sometimes changes a few reactions. I wish they reacted to more than gender (and race, if it exists in the choices/game). :confused: Back to CoG and HGs now.

The above having been said, if I don’t get at least a gender choice I feel, well, like a completely blank slate. Not good either. :expressionless:

So, at least some, and the more ‘effect’, the better. Bland enough answer? :grin:

In the past when this topic has come up (often on threads discussing games with customizable appearance), there have been a number of people who vocally appreciate the game giving them initial choices to fine-tune things like hair and eye color, even when it never appears again in the game. They’re satisfied by the opportunity to confirm (or possibly firm up) in the game their mental image of the character, and it helps them immerse in the story.

On the other hand, you have the often more vocal contingent who feel that a choice is only “real” if it affects the text you see later in the game (rather than just the mental picture the reader brings of their character). Indeed, many from this group aren’t satisfied unless your choice changes how characters react to you, not just the occasional text describing you.

You will never never make both groups happy. Go with what you personally enjoy.

I’d say I do like the idea of letting people input their own description (especially if it does pop up in flavor text later in the game). Adjectives like “cataract-ridden,” “artificial,” “frizzy,” and “translucent” don’t make enough lists.

4 Likes

Personally, I really like character creation, even when it doesn’t improve anything, and I like it even more when it comes up later in the story, I think, don’t include heaps of options for each one, such as, “What is your hair colour? Brown, blonde, red, black, insert your own” instead of “What is your hair colour? Brown, blonde, red, black, white, blue, pink, silver etc.” And you could add an option to skip character customisation, then everyone can be happy

That’s actually a good idea! I think after gender and name I’ll build in a “skip” option.

My tentative plan is to have what you pick matter in influencing several “invisible” factors (like how threatening you are for lack of a better example) that have small impacts on the game. Basically your appearance choices could boost/hinder your progression.

It wouldn’t necessarily be visible to the player though, but I do have plans to make those choices meaningful in a minor way. It might be something as small as a character commenting that you’re “tall” or “strong” in game, but they will have impact in stats even if you don’t necessarily encounter it on a given play through.

If you go through the process and pick all “write in your own” you MIGHT end up with lots of points in that particular stat which could skew things so I might have to use FairMath for that – but looking at the distribution of points the randtest is showing most paths end up with multiple points spread across all the stats.

1 Like

I had frizzy, and context wise I could totally use cataract-ridden as an option! Hahaha.

I enjoy customization, so, one way or another there’s going to be options about it. (: But, there’s also room to add choices to skip for people who don’t enjoy it, and to make it matter in the story line – since that seems to be important to people! I’m honestly just looking for advice about it, and the more different views I get the more options I can give! I never would have though to add a skip option unless somebody had suggested it!

I prefer a little customisation with my character just basic stuff really, age, gender, name customisation and romantic preference. I find it takes takes away from the game with too many minor choices that don’t impact the game too much. As previously mentioned unless the variable impacts the outcome of subsequent choices im not all to inclined to spend 5-10 mins picking out hair length and height. I do understand that some people do enjoy this however if you plan to do the extensive coding for all these options please consider making a few generic choices for those of us who want to start reading the story right away. :smiley: Keep up the good work .

Having canon appearances isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I’ve got a canon appearance for each of my five character classes (which, if you don’t play as that class, becomes the appearance of the NPC.) These options appear first if you are customizing your character (e.g., a canon redhead’s first hair color option is “red”.)

There’s no right or wrong appearance for a main character, but if you don’t want to choose, they do have a default race/hair color/eye color. (At the moment it’s via the first option being the default, but I’m now considering adding a “skip customization” option.) I’ve tried to be careful to create realistic diversity in my canon appearances, and not associate them with stereotypes.

…Which, if anyone who has played my game sees something ignorant, please let me know. I’m white/Jewish, so sometimes I just don’t know what I’m getting wrong. I’ve been avoiding as many stereotypes as I can think of, but for example my research into African-American hair is ongoing. I literally know more about corpse makeup right now than I do about the hair care routines of black people.

Really helpful responses, I had a similar question in mind, thanks.

2 Likes