Historical Fantasy - Writing LGBTQ+ (Nonbinary+)

Yeah no, no idea what the modern equivalent for it would be now that I think about it. Doesn’t feel like anything fits? Nonbinary is the term I would use, though as was said earlier if it’s its own gender then it is not truly ‘nonbinary’ in a sense. Though I know I myself would use the Nai identifier were I in the story.

I wrote a separate gender, the Nai, who do not conform to either of the ‘traditional’ genders. (Nai evolved, and was not something that existed from the start of time, an identity that evolved as a result of rapid philosophical growth was the idea in a way?)

@quartz Can I discuss this a little with you in private? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, in that case here are some questions that will help you flesh out the Nai:

• In your world are there still two sexes or are there more?
  • If there are still two sexes, when a person becomes a Nai, do they renounce their manhood or womanhood?
  • What clothes are they allowed to wear? Are there any clothes shunned by society?
  • What does their voice sound like? Should it be monotone or is there any playfulness allowed?
  • Are they allowed to date? If so, who is expected to pay on the 1st date?
  • What personality traits are encouraged or frowned upon? Can a Nai be loud, aggressive, or assertive?
  • Is wearing makeup frowned upon?

You don’t need to answer them, but you can do a similar exercise so you can have a better idea in your head of how they interact within society. If no rules apply to them, and they can act however they wish, then I don’t think you can consider them a distinct gender, a category. They would be kind of non-binary which is kind of an umbrella term anyway so it’s in conflict with your initial goal imo.

sure, send me a message

3 Likes