Giving ROs Sexual Preferences vs Full Availability for the MC

Hi folks! I didn’t see an answer for this elsewhere on the forum, but I do apologize if this has been answered already.

In preparing for writing my first Choicescript game, I’ve been thinking about giving ROs their own sexual preferences (something along the lines of Dragon Age but less binary) as opposed to letting the MC romance any ROs regardless of each other’s gender.

I do see value in either option. Giving the MC the opportunity to romance any of the available ROs allows the player the most freedom in terms of romance, letting them romance any character they like. Meanwhile, although giving ROs their own sexual preferences limits who the MC can romance somewhat, I feel doing so gives ROs more depth as characters and adds to their experiences, especially in a character-driven narrative.

At this point I’m less concerned about which to include in my game and am really just curious about what people have to say. I feel like this could be a helpful conversation for anyone. Looking forward to seeing people’s thoughts!

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Sexuality and NPCs