Giving AI tools an honest try

I suppose the past AI dungeon could have been slightly better than chat GPT, But only because even with AI dungeon’s sfw enabled, it was still more flexible. As a language model, this chat gpt is basically striving to ensure happy endings for your characters. You have to literally ask for failures, otherwise you will be on God mode. Also, this language model is very quick to inject morality into everything, so yeah. Remove some of those limits, and it will be a different story.

4 Likes

Probably off-topic, but I tried InspiroBot today, and here’s what it gave me :rofl:

3 Likes

I tried Dreamily AI last week, honestly, it’s a pretty good AI for writers if you’re having a writer’s block.

The sentences it generates are pretty cohesive. It does somewhat remember my character’s eye color and skin color that I put in at the beginning of the story, even after around 10,000 words in, however it did at some point kept calling my character Kumar even though his name was Edward.

It’s not as good as ChatGPT but it doesn’t require a signup and it’s free. Ya’ll can use it to draw inspiration for a story I guess?

Here’s a story I made for about half an hour, the sentences in parenthesis is the one I put in manually.

Summary

(Nazrin is a man in his early 30’s, he’s of average height, tanned skin, curly black hair and sharp dark brown eyes. He was born into poverty, growing up in the streets of Maccavia as a street urchin, until he was in his late teenage years, he later joined a mercenary company; Scarlet Seal and went on many expeditions with them throughout the whole empire of Aravia. He signed off his last mission with the Scarlet Seal company last week, and has been living in this tiny farming village of Andor, a little way off the town of Siverin.) He works hard and earns some money, but there’s never enough money for all his needs. The only thing he owns are two old books, The Tale of Neltharion and The Tale of Eratosthenes. (He had lost count on how many times he had read them). It was getting to the point where even Eratosthenes was a tad bit boring. He would just go to sleep at night and wake up again the next day. That’s it, nothing exciting or new ever happens around here anyway. Except for that weird guy who comes by every now and then, looking for someone. Nazrin hasn’t seen him in months, though; he was supposed to come back last month, but something happened. Nazrin hopes that the mysterious visitor is gone, so he won’t have to hear from him anymore. There’s not much Nazrin cares about, other than being able to sleep peacefully again. But when the mysterious visitor returns… Well, there’s no telling what he’ll bring. That could be anything, but Nazrin doesn’t want to find out. So he waits for the person to come back every month. It’s not like he expects the person to stop coming just because he asks them to.

(Afternoon, at the Andor village marketplace.) There were people shopping, selling various foods and wares in small stalls set between tents that are placed in various locations around the marketplace. One person sold a wooden bowl containing an assortment of fruits. Another sold a large variety of spices that Nazrin thought he’d probably use in the future to make up spicy dishes and foodstuffs. As he walked past one stall, a young woman asked if he would like some candied fruits. She looked very eager for his answer. After some deliberation, Nazrin declined her offer, but took one of the fruits out and held it against his chest, taking an inhale of its sweet smell. The woman smiled brightly.

(He smiled, pitying the woman, he bought a bowl of candied fruit, handing her 3 silver coins.) She thanked him happily and left to sell her wares. Once she was out of sight, Nazrin walked over to an older couple browsing through different items. “Hi”, said the father, who didn’t seem pleased to see him.
“Good afternoon”, Nazrin replied politely before turning to look for more food. The shopkeeper gave him a dirty look as he walked away, as if that was somehow his fault. When he came across a stand, a vendor was standing in front of it. “You interested in buying my sweets?” asked the vendor, who looked like an elf, judging by the greenish tint of his skin. Nazrin nodded and paid for the candied fruit.
As he walked towards the exit, the vendor approached him quickly. “Wait, wait”, the man began, “before you leave, can I ask you a question? What’s your name?” Nazrin paused for a moment before answering, “Nazrin” he told him. “My name is Krel, Krel Larkinson. You must be from the south, then, correct?” Nazrin nodded, “what brings you here? Is it the weather? It’s quite mild today”.
“No. I’m just planning to settle down, live a quiet life." Nazrin said to the man as they walked side by side towards the exit. “I’ve already found a nice house, it should start to get ready soon,”
“Are you gonna stay in town?” Krel continued. “There might still be some shops open. I can help you find a job,” Krel offered enthusiastically.
“Thank you. If you’re serious, then yes, I think I will stay.” said Nazrin. “Where do you work?”
“The local inn, The Silver Falcon. I run the tavern and the kitchens” Krel responded, smiling warmly. “How long have you lived here in Andor?” Nazrin asked. Krel chuckled. “Almost 10 years, you can say that.”
“Well… It’s good to meet you, Krel, (and thank you for offering me a job, I will think on it).” Nazrin said to the man. Krel smiled wider, and waved goodbye, walking further down the street and into another store. Nazrin turned around and went through the gate. He started walking towards the edge of the market square, and sat down at the steps leading up to the main road. He watched a bird fly overhead.

(Evening, Redwood Tavern, Andor.
Nazrin)
stepped inside of Redwood, the tavern was full of merchants and travelers. He decided to sit in a corner booth to keep himself away from everyone else as well as avoiding conversation while he waited for his food to arrive. As the waitress delivered his meal, Nazrin dug in immediately.
His food arrived within five minutes. It was delicious, he hadn’t expected anything less. His favorite dish in Redwood wasn’t too far off of the recipe in his book; it was fried fish fillets, seasoned with a few vegetables and herbs, a small amount of seasoning sauce, a sprinkling of parsley. He ate slowly and savored each mouthful. After he finished eating, he ordered a pitcher of wine along with his dessert and headed outside. He liked to take walks, especially during this time of day, where everyone was either leaving for the night or going to bed after a busy day at the market. On his walk, he heard the sounds of music coming from another tavern he passed.

(Night, Nazrin’s House, Bedroom, Andor.)

Nazrin sighed heavily. This is the fourth night in a row he has spent in this room. The bed was comfortable, but he couldn’t fall asleep; he kept thinking that maybe he was imagining things or maybe something bad was going to happen. Either way, he didn’t trust that his senses weren’t deceiving him. He got dressed quietly and opened the door, making sure to close the door behind himself. He made his way into the hallway, careful not to make any noise. The sound of music and laughter reached his ears once again, and Nazrin made his way towards it. As he approached a large oak doors, it swung open and revealed a man holding a flute, singing. His voice was beautiful, although it carried an odd feeling Nazrin couldn’t quite place. Maybe it was the fact that it lacked emotion or emotion in general. But he seemed to sing with a light spirit, like he was having a great time. It reminded Nazrin of his mother.
‘I wish my mother were alive’, he thought to himself sadly. (He went back to his bedroom) to lay down, trying to avoid any loud noises from downstairs. He had been hearing music and laughing downstairs most nights, it sounded almost familiar, though. He closed his eyes and fell into a deep slumber, dreaming of his mother.
The sun rose the next morning, and Nazrin woke up feeling exhausted. He stumbled into the kitchen.

2 Likes

In other news apparently the Bing AI chatbot is going rouge.

7 Likes

I love the sass of this chat bot. This is what was missing to make it feel like an authentic human interaction, being wrong and unwilling to change one’s position, even when presented with compelling evidence.

6 Likes

Ok. U guys are forgetting the best resource ChatGPT offers. It got an amazing expertise in programming.

I confess I usually ask them for help when I need to figure a algorithm for game mechanics and stuff.

It is also great as a talking buddy. Just don’t touch in the subject of german literature. That always make them a little melancholic and existential …

Oh my God, I love it! The fact it’s suggesting I admit I was wrong, and I apologize for my behavior as an automatic response is next level gaslighting.

2 Likes

It seems they’ve also taught it to lie :no_mouth: (I hope! Otherwise it’s another reason to get tape for your webcam :laughing:.) Not sure how I feel about that, but they’re certainly trying to make it as human as possible.

4 Likes

It’s less amazing when programming students use it to cheat on assignments.

1 Like

Yep was thinking that it’s going to make it harder all round to catch students cheating/plagerizing. I can see the fall out being a return to most of your marks coming from seated exams to get around it which sucks for students that do better under lower pressure assignment like assessments. (One of my uni courses had subjects that set up to 3 in person exams per subject per semester so they could be sure it was your work. Not much fun really but I reckon it’s going to have to be required in the future.)

I’ve had exams way lower stress than my programming assignments, but that’s getting off topic so I’ll just stop now :sweat_smile:

Bret Devereaux doesn’t think so:

4 Likes

I agree with Bret.

2 Likes

This has happened before with TAY and ZO A.I right? I think it started from something like this until it degenerates into something worse :sweat_smile:

Looks like microsoft didn’t like people poking the AI and posting the results. Apparently they nerfed it today to look more like an interactive search engine (probably what they originally wanted anyway given it’s Bing so was probably always going to happen) rather than an AI with any personality that people would want to interact with as anything except a basic web search. They’ve taken away the sassy attitude and limited it to 11 responses.

TBH the rubber duck man-oeuvre is an authentic debug method in software development…

I have to admit that I have been tinkering with that AI.

If it has enough to work with, it can become very inventive. I’ve played around with a few scenarios using a group of fictional people, and the plot snippets are fascinating. It’s something I really like.

After playing with it for more than an hour, I now have to wait until the cooldown period is over before I can give it a new prompt to see how it will alter the story. I was surprised by a few turns, but I’m really enjoying it.

I’ll feed it the general concept, a few variables, and the character if I’m having trouble coming up with a method to write something. (with a reminder of personality),and let it run amuck. Some comments are excellent. Some less so.

4 Likes

I decided to check out AI dungeon and tried out a supervillain RPG scenario… imagine my surprise when my first encounter with my superhero archenemy was said superhero archenemy asking for my help to thwart a nefarious plot in a neighboring town.

Anyway, I’m seriously wondering if I might actually use AI to generate a new language, and how NLP uses grammar.

3 Likes

Try Bing. Bing’s the thing it seems, along with open AI’s latest GPT4. Unfortunately with open AI, you need to be a subscriber to get GPT4. Bing uses the same model and is free. AI dungeon have some serious catching up to do.

1 Like

It’s fine for amusing myself though. Also I can technically use both AI dungeon and ChatGPT(2) locally, if I wish.

(Besides, I don’t need to be able to generate program code when I’m in the middle of confusing AI with my allegiances, and AI dungeon has a hefty amount of ready-made worlds and story scenarios to pick from.)

…alas, poor villain. You fought valiantly, but the demon army proved too strong. Also not what I expected to fight in an abandoned warehouse in New York, but I’m not complaining. That was all kinds of creepy.

3 Likes