Gender locking romances, but not player characters?

I’ll be honest in that I haven’t read XoR (less of a game person, more of a story person- and though the story sounds absolutely fantastic it also seems to be more game heavy and, if I’m being wholly honest, I’m terrible at games so…) So I can’t speak to how its differences aid the story. I do think that adding in minor differences for characters in which, well, anything about them changes can be useful- but only if it makes sense in the context of the world.

So, for example, if you’re creating a truly equal fictional world where gender has no effect on the story it would make sense for a gender flippable character to have, again, no effect on the story. Sure, some minor details like maybe appearance might be worked in but even then I don’t think necessarily has to be to get the same effect.

Ex. the description: “$!{npc_hishertheir} short, black hair dances around ${npc_hishertheir} sharp face.” would work for establishing a character of any gender, really. (Apparently it won’t show the little sign at the beginning but just imagine that’s coded correctly, haha.)

As for wording and gender I’ve already given my whole spiel over on here (which makes this the second time I’ve linked this old thing of mine in reference to something like this, aha. I just don’t want to repeat myself.).

I can’t remember much from Midsummer that you might be referencing but from what I remember of Affairs of the Court and what I’ve heard that definitely sounds like more a world building problem than a character problem.

2 Likes