Gay Representation in ChoiceScript games?

Forbidden fruit is always the most delicious, no? :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Well had she had a Princess to chose from then perhaps all would be well :slight_smile:

1 Like

She had a Princess. :stuck_out_tongue: The Princess wanted to be a Sorceress though. She was one of the main characters in the ā€œwant to be a magic userā€ path. I really liked two bookish nerdy girls learning magic together.

I have the story! Itā€™s just not interactive, you know? I tried, but it isnā€™t. I tried so hard! They would not cooperate. I tried to write the Adventurer as a protagonist for a game, but again he wouldnā€™t cooperate. And he just refused to talk about some of the deeply personal, traumatic stuff that happens to him. And really you canā€™t have a protagonist going ā€œI donā€™t want to talk about it.ā€

And he also refused to believe the Prince was responsible for any of it, even when told otherwise. There was meant to be a huge misunderstanding, but he said nope, the Prince wouldnā€™t do that!

The closest theyā€™ve really come to a disagreement, is when the Adventurer was all, ā€œlook the order of awesome virgin unicorn riders, pure of heart and body, who fight evil and injustice wherever they go! We should totally join them, even though theyā€™re all women, and they donā€™t usually let men join,ā€ and the Prince was all ā€œnope, letā€™s not.ā€ In the Adventurerā€™s defence, the Order of the Unicorn is awesome, the unicorns are fierce, intelligent kick-ass battle-beasts and their riders are some of the best warriors in the land. They are not all delicate pretty flowery rainbow ponies. (Not that thereā€™s anything wrong with that.)

I do really like their story. If I do write it down properly, (instead of in rough summary form) itā€™s going to have to be linear fiction. I might. I really like them as characters, and the whole story. Even if some aspects are painful to write.

The Adventurer desperately dreams of being a Knight, all his life itā€™s all heā€™s ever wanted, itā€™s all heā€™s aimed for. But because of his friendship with the Prince, and it is just friendship at that point. He ends up getting dragged into politics, accused of treason, disowned by his family, and forced to leave the city under a shadow of scandal, with his dreams of knighthood completely shattered. All while being told itā€™s the Prince thatā€™s laid the accusations on him. (He completely refuses to believe that though.) And he has to try and make his own way.

The Prince is going through some awful stuff too. Ill as a child, the person who healed him, dies, his father dies, his favourite sister vanishes without a trace, he has few friends because everyone sees him as distant and aloof, and those who try and befriend him usually want something from him. And his one friend gets exiled and itā€™s all his fault.

But they get a happy ending.

8 Likes

If Iā€™m correct,Unnatural did that pretty well in respects to a character of the same sex hitting on a straight MC. I had a straight character so I shot them down. That seems fine to me, if I were interested in his character I couldā€™ve followed up on that. Since I play straight MCs though, I didnā€™t. As long as theyā€™re not getting weird after the first refusal thatā€™s fine, you do you.

4 Likes

That sounds like a nice story but I have to love how you summarized it, like it was a rushed happy ending:

HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELL, HELLā€¦

But at the end all went good.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that how a story is supposed to go? :innocent:

No! You should know better. Often they end badly. I hate that. I hate when Iā€™m reading a story and itā€™s HELL HELL HELL AND THEY ALL DIE!!! Itā€™s so frequent with stories that have gay characters. Thereā€™s rape, thereā€™s tragedy, and then thereā€™s death at the end. Or for some inexplicable reason if there is a happy ending for the characters, you donā€™t get to see it, or itā€™s glossed over.

I hate that sort of stories. I hate tragedies. I hate that most of the gay movies we have end in death.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not a fan of Bury Your Gays neither, however I understand why itā€™s used as a trope: it usually portrays gay people sympathetically and addresses an issue many gay people in real life go through. I personally love tragic endings, I donā€™t think we should get rid of them as long as thereā€™s some variety.

But donā€™t get my HELL HELL HELL comment too seriously, I just found funny how you mentioned the happy ending.

1 Like

Bury your Gays stories are written to make straight people feel pity for us (or to warn people away from our ā€œdangerous lifestyleā€). Myself, Iā€™d far rather read a story where the (gay) protagonist not only survives, but gets the boy, too. :grin:

7 Likes

Canā€™t emphasise with a gay if he dead.
Canā€™t give screentime to a gay if he dead.
Canā€™t flesh out my gayā€™s life to anything other than gay and dead if he dead.

Gay + Dead = changes no oneā€™s views. Sadwank for the straights, then they move on with their lives, like when you read about car crash or mugging. Cool, sad, get high off bad news because Death Drive, then they move on.

10 Likes

@FairyGodfeather You and I like opposite things lol. :wink: But we still being friends. Also guys girls non binary. Is it not a little weird that a hetero girl post so much in a gay representation thing? Maybe I should stop.

However, for me itā€™s a important thing because many of my characters are gay bi or pansexuals. So for me is important in a weird way. In many games even rpgs You canā€™t . Like the witcher the character is so awfully anti homosexuality and anti woman that I canā€™t play that game i couldnā€™t ended any of them . For me is very important because if you are anti gay or lesbians are being anti people and all people is same.Have same value .

1 Like

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, but Mara, youā€™d possibly date a non-binary person if they ā€œtook your fancyā€, wouldnā€™t you? As a girl, that would make you not heterosexual.

2 Likes

Well I suppose but I never meet a non binary who donā€™t consider themselves or from a gender or from other. So for me it is for now rhetorical. I found them sexualy pleasant and like I have not problem with labelling or that If happens happens. For now all my experiences has being heterosexual. So iam half hetero half i donā€™t care about labels :wink:

It seems like you, my friend, are gay. :stuck_out_tongue: Or, well, at least not straight.

In particular, you seem to be polysexual or pansexual with a preference for men? Maybe bi, if you do not like women? Because nbs are a wide range of genders, and you seem fine with that concept.

Itā€™s only! From my point of view, at least. Labels are entirely up for people to claim only if they want to.

1 Like

Is there even a specific term for that? Iā€™ve been wondering about that ever since playing versus.

(Because I got incredibly pissed off at the narrator for treating my MC like some kind of mythical animal for wanting to date Breeze, with him, (in my playthrough only referred to using he/him/his pronouns) because I had indicated that my female MC was hetero at the beginning at the game. There was simply no option that indicated that the MC felt attracted to people of the opposite sex (because apparently the preference choices assume youā€™re choosing a preferred sex rather than a preferred gender) including those in a bit more complicated situation, alright? Breeze might not strictly count as non-binary, but close enough.)

2 Likes

Iā€™m tired of it. Itā€™s the only sort of story we get usually. The only good gay is a dead gay. Stories with dead gays are great for Oscars. (Ditto for stories with cis people playing tragic trans characters, thatā€™s also Oscar bait. UGH.)

Itā€™s as if it makes it more palatable when they die

7 Likes

A specific term for what?[quote=ā€œFairyGodfeather, post:136, topic:20429ā€]
Ditto for stories with cis people playing tragic trans characters, thatā€™s also Oscar bait
[/quote]

Itā€™s what the cises want to see. They want to see a man who played a woman come up on stage and accept his award. Because theyā€™re a man. Acting. Theyā€™re no woman. It reinforces this shit trope that trans people are actors and liars, that a trans woman is just a man in a dress acting or pretending or delusional.

Let me just eat all cis directors in Hollywood who allow this. And all the cises who stay silent about it! Let me just devour them.

4 Likes

For people who feel attracted to people of the opposite gender and specific people of a non-binary gender, but not to people of their own gender.

1 Like

Well I donā€™t like women. I have that covered. I never found any attractive and that time that a drunken lesbian kissed me in a party I donā€™t felt anything except why in hell I let Diego carry me to a only gays party! So pan whatever I think i am not . All except women. I am not poli because If someone try to touch my man would end in infirmary. And loyalty is important for me. So dunno Maybe a practical hetero with door open to not binary :laughing: all that labels are funny for me. I just me .

2 Likes

Bi. Bi means two. Bisexual.

Technically we have polysexual, which is many genders but not all.