Gay Representation in ChoiceScript games?

My take away about representation is that there is no “right” way to do it. The best you can do is try your best, be open to feedback, and learn. At the same time, though, it is important to remember that everybody has their own opinion on what is and isn’t good/bad representation.

For example, I’m bi. As a bi person, I seem to be in the minority, and perhaps this is a bit unpopular, but I dislike it when a character is changed to bi/pan from their original orientation. Whether that be gay, straight, or whatever (and it is regardless of orientation to me. No orientation is any more malleable than another), when a character is changed from their original form because people wanted to romance them it just irks me. I think it has to do with how bi/pan characters are often used or included just as a way to allow for the most romance options, so it essentially just boils down to becoming a game mechanic of necessity. My sexuality isn’t a game mechanic, or a quick fix, so, that’s not really representation to me, just convenience. Or used as a point of drama. Similarly, I don’t like when any type of person is left out. Yes, even straight people. My opinion is in the belief that the best way to have good representation is to have a story (or whatever product) that doesn’t exclude anyone, or suggest that they’re unwanted, because the best way to get change to happen is to show good portrayals of a spectrum of people (different cultures, ethnicities, family set ups, orientations, genders, etc.) in an engaging way that normalizes diversity. I wouldn’t play a game where it was clear I wasn’t the target audience, or where my options were limited compared to the rest, or it was clear the author didn’t want to write such content, so I can’t expect anyone else to, either.

In the end, to come to my tangent-less point, I think if you have around the same number of options for any of your players you will be set. I don’t begrudge writers who don’t share my above opinions, and I still enjoy and respect their work, so I guess the point of this was to show that there is never going to be one right way to do anything! :sweat_smile: (How to make a short point long and drawn out 101 - see above! lol Sorry if this isn’t very eloquent, I’m tired and running on two days of essentially no sleep.)

6 Likes