Game Rec - A Tale of Crowns

I had the same issue. You see those pictures that @Akm posted? Instead of selecting “Download”, select “Open With” and select the browser. I did it with Chrome.

Using chrome browser on mobile it didn’t work at first till I clicked that direct link instead of the download button

Got it working through dropbox.

Finally worked! Thank you for your help!

5 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing this, I loved playing this WIP! This is wonderfully written, with a beautiful unique fantasy setting (refreshingly not based on Europe, as much as I love those too), and really distinct characters. I often feel like POC love interests aren’t as “complicated”/plot essential, but in this game all the love interests are POC due to the setting so it feels like a luxury in a way.

It looks like it’s probably going to be a while until it’s fully complete (I think it was started a year ago & currently the first 4 chapters are done) and it probably doesn’t have as many choices as people on the forum tend to prefer, but there is a decent amount of flavour text depending on your choices.

Some helpful posts from the author’s tumblr:
FAQs (inc troubleshooting if you’re having trouble getting the game to work)
The Story & Setting
Designing Your MC (inc pinterest board for fashion & links for names that suit the setting)
The Love Interests

I’ll also put the info on love interests in this post (spoiler tagged for anyone who wants to go in blind):

Xelara / Xelef
  • Names meaning: None

• Height: 1.89 cm / 6’2"

• Build: Muscular, broad shoulders

• Eye color: Green

• Hair color: Black

• Skin color: Warm beige

• Notable attributes: Thick eyelashes

• Default expression: Faintly smirking

• Magical ability: Inner magic, sensory type

• Magical signature: Heat and flame

• Character traits: Charismatic, Cunning, Affectionate, Spontaneous, Seductive

• Bio: A legendary hero and the mercenary leader of the Crescent Blades whose exploits were chronicled in song. Also known as the Pale Sword.

• Pinterest References

• Official Art

• Character Tag

Ashti / Azad
  • Names meaning: Ashti/peace; Azad/freedom

• Height: 1.80 cm / 5’11"

• Build: Muscular, broad build overall

• Eye color: Hazel

• Skin color: Rich black

• Notable attributes: Dimples in the cheeks

• Default expression: Indifferent

• Magical ability: Inner magic, aura manipulation

• Magical signature: Cool and water

• Character traits: Sarcastic, Clever, Caring, Fearless, Reserved

• Bio: Once a peerless soldier in the Imperial Army, now promoted to the Royal Protector of the Crown due to their unrivaled skill and exceptional integrity.

• Pinterest References

• Official Art

• Character Tag

Delal / Dara
  • Names meaning: Delal/beloved, precious; Dara/ruler, commander

• Height: 1.95 cm / 6’5"

• Build: Sturdy, long arms and legs

• Eye color: Dark brown

• Hair color: Brown

• Skin color: Olive brown

• Notable attributes: Mole beneath the corner of the left eye, pale vertical scar on the back of the neck

• Default expression: Frowning

• Magical ability: None beyond the basics

• Magical signature: Solid and earth

• Character traits: Bold, Strategic, Sensitive, Practical, Passionate

• Bio: The General of the Imperial Army, known for many strategic victories in warding off attacks from hostile nations.

• Pinterest References

• Official Art

• Character Tag

Rozerîn / Rêzan
  • Names meaning: Rozerîn/dawn, place where the light arrives; Rêzan/pioneer, knows the way

• Height: 1.74 cm / 5’8"

• Build: Average, in shape

• Eye color: Light grey

• Skin color: Warm brown

• Default expression: Smiling lightly

• Magical ability: Inner and outer magic; expert in all elements and master in lightning magic, expert in alchemy, skilled in summoning, skilled in warding, skilled in healing, trained in physical enhancements, trained in rune-crafting, trained in exorcism

• Magical signature: Electric and energy

• Character traits: Aloof, Erudite, Compassionate, Astute, Shy

• Bio: The Crown’s Sorcerer, widely regarded to be a prodigy and expected to become the most powerful magus in the Empire.

• Pinterest References

• Official Art (Coming Soon)

• Character Tag

Based on a recommendation on the author’s tumblr, I also listened to songs by Rojbin Kizil (mostly the older acoustic songs) whilst playing.

12 Likes

This is very cool. I’ve played it repeatedly since I discovered it a couple of days ago and I’m still finding subtle differences depending on character choices I’ve made. It’s good to see a high fantasy game that isn’t a pastiche-Europe. I’m very much looking forward to the continuation.
One small criticism I have, is that the various “information” pages (codex, relationships, traits) allow you to go back to the previous page, but if you’ve looked through several of them then it means going back through all of them to return to the story. Is it possible to add a “Return to story” option as well as the “Back” option?

5 Likes

I also noticed that and think it’s potentially actionable. I’m not the author though. You can ask on their tumblr?

This is so good! Thanks for recommending this!!

1 Like

Playing this was pretty emotional for me, not gonna lie.

I’m not Kurdish, but I am Uyghur, and much of our culture shares similarities to many Middle-Eastern cultures due to Islamic influence, and we like the Kurds are typically Sunni. So I saw, recognized, and felt very familiar with much of the worldbuilding in this story.

Is this what representation feels like? Because I fucking love it.

15 Likes

I’m not the author, but when I started writing in that same engine, I realized the same problem and had to use a different way (use a popup screen, like the save/load options) to show those info from the very start of the coding process. I’m not sure how much coding the author will need to do to retroactively update the code to not use a popup method, or if they do use a popup, how much CSS styling they need to do to make it look nice for their needs.
tldr; it’s actionable, but might take some work

1 Like

Idea behind and worldbuilding is quiet good, but playing with male character feels like having your harem and interactions between characters areis unrealistic and fictional. I would give it 7/10

Does anyone still have the file that can sent me, please. I would like to do some code diving.

Can u plz notify us when theres an update :pray::pray:

I hope you know I fucking love this game. I’m Pakistani-American but I have Middle Eastern roots and it’s amazing!!! It’s so well researched and well developed. Each of the RO’s are different and refreshing!!! I love it!

3 Likes

Unf the author has made the most recent version of the game only playable in-browser, so we’re unable to look at the code!

It might be more convenient for you to follow the author’s tumblr! It’s ataleofcrowns.tumblr.com. Hope that’s helpful!

6 Likes

Don’t have the file, but you can view the code here, just put view-source: before the https.

5 Likes

It is thank u

For those who can’t play, you can directly play online:

Wow this game is amazing. Captivating. Really good story telling. However, be warned, the save function does not work. So you’ll have to run through the whole game in one sitting. Every time you close it, saves are deleted.
But the game itself is really good.

2 Likes

When playing from a computer, you should be able to “Save to Disk”, and then “Load from Disk” to not have the browser (if set to delete temporary data on close) delete the temporary saved data in the regular save slot. (I’m not sure if on mobile that save to disk option is supported)

1 Like