Forum rules and easily offended people

@Zeke I have, in the past, described the forums as a coffeeshop (adjacent to a film-house, but that part of the metaphor isn’t relevant here).

And there are a lot of people in this coffeeshop who come here to relax and be with friends, and look at the dailies from each other’s movies.

And while I can see from your history that, yes, you’ve purchased a scone or a latte a couple of times over the past two years, you are not a regular, and you’re not tuned in to the culture of the coffeeshop.

So when you swagger in and start screaming, “Where’s the fucking waiter? Bring me my latte!” everyone’s going to stop and look at you, because you’re the only one screaming for table service. Everyone else has learned that they have to go up to the counter and wait in line to order.

Thankfully, in the meantime, you haven’t been harassing the people at the other tables, otherwise you would have been banned. But right now, we’re all just sitting here, watching and waiting for you to get the hint that no one’s going to come and wait on you at your table. Instead, you need to get in line if you want to order something, and if you think it should be otherwise, then maybe this isn’t the coffeeshop for you.

33 Likes